Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2021! - Event Date: 19 Sep. 2021 - 24 Sep. 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 10:26am
Great photo, Mike.  Nancy looks secure in the knowledge that the life insurance policy she took out on you is fully paid up!

Several years ago I was burning about a qt. of oil every 4-500 miles or so and I knew I must have some smoke that was beyond normal.  I also knew that the next summer I was going to go in for a rebuild.  So I decided to roll the dice and I put a bottle of Barr's Leak additive for oil burning, leaking, and smoke to try to mitigate the problem.  My expectation were low, but I was just self-conscious enough about the smoke to give it a shot.  Well, it actually helped quite a lot!  There are other brands out there too, but this is the one I tried and had success with.  Ended up my rings were just very tired even though the engine was running great. 
Tom
1949 CJ3A

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 7:14pm
Bruce I sure hope you are doing better.  I know of a Jeep like that with the downward tail pipe.  I had a smoker engine in Popeye for a while.  I think it nearly smoked you out, but the mosquitoes were not getting you.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2021 at 10:54pm
Driving gloves are helpful as well. I have seen some sunburned hands in past years!
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2021 at 7:32am
Something else I forgot to mention in the video is bring a bandana.  You will want it to protect your face and lungs from dust on the trails.  You can buy them at farm supply stores, walmart, online, even at gas stations.  But I recommend having a couple of bandana's with you for the week.  Tied to cover your nose and mouth, they will keep you from tasting the trail when you stop to eat lunch.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
stevez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2021 at 7:49pm
I'd like to say I'm absolutely impressed with Mike and the CFFC fall color tour. He called me personally thinking that my registration had not gone thru the lottery properly but I had withdrawn before the lottery. What an upstanding guy and an absolute gentleman. I hope he has a big tip jar there because it needs to be full for all he does. Thanks again Mike, keep doing what you do, hope to see you in the future.    Steve
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 2:29am
Thank you Steve.  Clerical error on my part that Steve helped me clear up right away.  I hope your daughter's wedding is wonderful, and leads to a long and happy life.   Good luck to you in next year's lottery.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 8:26pm
Please see the attached link and make some comments/suggestions.
Should I move the post here?

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 3:43am
Joe, let's keep that one where it is.  I'm anxious to see what you find.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 4:41am
So far no responses to the other  tool post, so I guess I'll just check back once in a while.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:10am
It looks like two more alternates will get a call from me this morning.  Two primaries have pulled out and want me to offer their spot to alternates.  I hope they will answer when I call. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2021 at 3:22am
Both McNeal and Johnson accepted their primary positions when I talked with them yesterday, so we're back up to 50 Jeeps.  My congratulations to them both.  One has been here before, the other has never been here.  

Here is a link to the video that the Gone-Gpn crew made with me to explain some of the does and don'ts and options for the FCT.  https://youtu.be/H2p9X54ouWY  It's just over 30 minutes long.  

On a recent Jeeping trip Nancy was doing the driving because I injured my right knee.  As we approached a cattle guard on a narrow trail, we hit the cattle guard wrong and the result was we bounced in place a couple of times before we stopped.  Fortunately a friend was making a video of us and caught the action.  Here's a still photo of us in the air.  Notice how high the front tire is. 

However, the result of the stress on our driveline was not as good as the photo above was.  The next day as we were driving along we heard a loud "bang, bang, bang, bang".  Nancy stopped the Blue mule quickly and I hopped out.  When I looked underneath I discovered that our rear drive shaft was in two pieces.  Here's the photo after we removed it. 

Over 20 years ago when we put the Pinto engine in the Blue Mule, we had to move the transmission forward about 3 inches.  So we also had to lengthen the rear drive shaft.  The tube was cut in half and a sleeve was welded on to lengthen the drive shaft.  Well that was the weak point in the shaft, and it finally failed.  I took the parts to a machine shop that rebuilds drive shafts.  They enjoyed seeing this failure come into their shop.  They'll have it done for me next week.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2021 at 1:22pm
My Dad used to warn me often that our garden tractor seems like a toy, but you have to respect it, mainly because it is geared so low. I guess these old Willy's are the same way. You've got that race car motor as well. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2021 at 1:27pm
I can't believe how high your front end is off the bridge.  Very impressive.  And also impressive damage to your driveshaft!  Big smile
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2021 at 5:06pm
Being 92 on the list.  Maybe next year we run the lottery on the everyone on the reserve list, each time a primary drops out. Might add some excitement for the unchosen. Food for thought. 

Edited by Chicodave - 26 June 2021 at 5:07pm
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2021 at 12:58pm
Chicodave,  Just my two cents worth. We all got an equal shot for positioning with the original drawing and I don't feel that it would be fair to Mike  to add more to all that he does for us. He does plenty already.  BTW, thanks Mike and Nancy
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 3:59am
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the comment and compliment.  I'm sure that the first 10 or so guys on the Alternate list would prefer that it all just stays as it is.  And I could see where everyone else on the list would like Chicodave's lottery idea.  That would give them all an equal chance to fill the next Primary position to open up.  It would be easy enough to implement.  The spreadsheet does all the work.  I'm curious to know what other Alternates think of Dave's idea.  Please post some comments here in this thread.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 9:32am
On the assumption that 50 jeeps is the viable limit you could draw 60 numbers and not have any alternates based on past experience that 10 jeeps will drop out. Worst case, you will have all 60 show up. Most likely, you will be just above or just below 50. Don't know about anyone else but being able to plan the jeeping year as early as possible works out best for me. If you don't make the list you can plan something else or just wait for next year.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 11:19am
I agree with Steve that the longer I wait on the alternate list this year, the less likely I will be able to make it. Even now I'm not sure I will go if I get the call. Our Willys is ready, though. I just installed a new radiator, brakes are adjusted, and the carb cleaned and tuned. I think it's the first time since we've had it that I can't think of anything it needs. Wants are another story. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 29>