Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antisieze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antisieze
    Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 3:51am
Just wanted to see what others do with and use antisieze on. Specifically what kind you use. Where (or maybe where not) on your Jeep. I generally use it 99% of the time on anything that doesn’t need thread locker (loc tite) or pipe threads. 
I use the copper mostly because I bought a giant jar 10 years ago but I have used the silver colored and a product called Tef Gel (mostly stainless). Does anyone know the differences or if they have specific uses? Yea or nay on lug nuts? Electrical? What are you doing with it?
Easy Does It.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 4:31am
Nay on wheel nuts, yea on spark plugs.
BOULDER 48 2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 5:20am
X2 on what Terry said.

I also use it on exhaust flange fasteners, and exhaust manifold nuts, but I am probably suffering from OCD. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 10:34am
I used it pretty much everywhere. Although more seems to end up on my hands or pants for some reason LOL

One thing I always do is smear some on the back of an aluminum wheel, where it contacts a steel hub. Prevents them from welding themselves together. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

...One thing I always do is smear some on the back of an aluminum wheel, where it contacts a steel hub. Prevents them from welding themselves together. 

I put a smidgeon on the contact surfaces of hubs before putting brake drums on for the same reason, especially the centering ridge if it exists...just enough to make it a fair fight later LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 11:26am
I use it on just about any external bolt/nut including lug nuts, excluding some fasteners on the engine (head bolts etc.).  If you don't look like the silver surfer when your done you didn't use enough.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 12:22pm
35 years in heavy equipment repair, use it on everything exposed to the elements.... I prefer the copper colored, the silver seems to dry out in a short order.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 1:16pm
Silver stuff here, and yeah basically everything plus stuff I probably shouldn’t be putting it on. But definitely the adjustment cams for the brakes, makes shoe adjustment so much easier.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 1:23pm
I too use the copper colored where I want corrosion protection from the environment for later disassembly... including open lug nuts. I know there are two different camps of concerns about that but over the last 40 years I've never had a wheel come loose. I do not use 'antiseize' on electrical connections. I use dielectric grease for that application.    
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 1:35pm
Silver stuff on just about everything that doesn't get LocTite, especially the backs and IDs of aluminum wheels and including lug nuts.  Although I've never used it on spark plugs (I've also never worked on an engine with an aluminum head...)

I use the silver stuff, but I've never tried the copper.  I might have to do that.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 1:45pm
Nothing special has a great point about the aluminum wheels, that is a must especially if they are hub centric which most are.  I always put it on spark plugs no matter the head material and have done so on customers cars for a very long time.  I also put it on all wheel studs/bolts and have never had a problem or known anyone who has.  I don't really think there is much difference in the copper or silver, I personally always use the permatex advanced formula anti seize.
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 1:49pm
Nice tip!
Easy Does It.
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 1:59pm
I use the silver Permatex and a copper colored one made for high temp applications.
One particular place I like to use it is on the nuts for the brake s-tubes. I get the nut just started in the wheel cylinder and hose, then using a toothpick carefully apply a small dab of the stuff on the threads then tighten the fitting.

Wither I didn't tighten them properly, or it was due to the antiseize, the only time I have experienced loosening of lug nuts was after an application of antiseize on all the studs. Just saying. 
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 2:12pm
Steering wheel splines!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 2:33pm
Molybdenum is the stuff for stainless to prevent galling
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 3:00pm
I use the silver pematex on most anything exposed with a few exemptions like lawn mower blade nuts or brush hog blade retainers. Those applications with teach you how hard it is to remove from a place it should not be. 

Mike 
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 3:41pm
After breaking off most of the studs on the manifold, I used copper antisieze on the outside of the studs (and use copper nuts - probably overkill) on the block and antisieze on both sides of the manifold to exhaust pipe stud.  Time will tell if these were helpful or not.

After purchasing wire nuts for outside use and finding they were packed with dielectric grease, I've been putting that on all my connections, e.g. packing the connections in the original tail lights and water displacement on trailer connections.

I like the idea of antisieze on the brake adjusters.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2021 at 4:26pm
I use Permatex 80078 (silver) for aluminum and stainless, Bestolife Copper Joint for the high stress/high heat applications.  That latter product is from the drilling industry and used there to make sure you can get the box and pins apart on your drill rod.  In a former life, I put a lot of research/monitoring wells in the ground and a bucket of that stuff is a lifetime supply for other uses.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>