Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Title problems in NJ..anyone ever have this

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Title problems in NJ..anyone ever have this
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 7:31am
I found another willys, 45 MB. 8 year  restoration. I like it. The guy says the title has a R in the vin number..... Replaced  half the tub, every other piece stays the same.     I ask about the R.  (REBUILD)  ...Well I am spending hours on the phone waiting for f*n   NJ DMV   to answer the phone. NO WAY DO THEY. WHY COVID / CHINA FLU...
Ok, I start reading on nj dmv site. No WAY do they like the R in the vin.

Well I like the jeep, and screw NJ. 

Anyone have a solution here?   New vehicle ID plates, new titles, new somethings.   So frustrating.   Current title Virginia. The guy freaks that after all his work..Virginia made him do it. After all those years  and HUNDREDS of pictures to document. 

Ok, calm down me.  Asking kindly if there is a solution. Some of you ol timers and current owners had to run across this over the years. I never knew of it.

BIG THANKS   for replies and solutions. 

This should be interesting. 
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 11:29am
Years ago I bought a wrecked Ford from a dealer who sold rebuildable wrecked cars. 

My daughter needed a car, but she didn't have much money, and had lousy credit. She asked me to find her a good car that she could buy without going into debt. 

The car only had 20k miles on it, and all that had been damaged in the wreck was the right fender, the grill and hood. It still ran and drove great, the wreck hadn't knocked the front end out of alignment, and everything except one headlight worked as it was supposed to.

The Insurance company had "Totaled" it. I was told that as long as I documented the repairs, and it passed inspection by the state, I wouldn't have much trouble getting a title.

I was able to get a title, but had to jump through a few hoops to get it. It was registered as a salvaged vehicle, which is probably the same thing as that "R" being in the Virginia title.

She drove the car for several years, and it was a good little car. 

Last year she sold it to a young guy who worked with her husband. The new owner lived in Georgia, and ran into a brick wall when he tried to register it there because of that "salvage" code on the Tennessee title.

I don't know a thing about NJ DMV. My advice is to talk to someone who does.

The best source of information I got when I was struggling with the TN DMV on that rebuilt Ford, was a big volume used car dealer. Some of those guys buy a lot of cars at insurance company auctions. 

He had bought a lot of rebuilt cars, so had been there, done that.

Without his help I would have given up.

Depending on your intended use of the Jeep, you could also look into alternative titles. Most states have alternatives such as "Antique Vehicle" or "Vintage Vehicle". Often those type registrations will have a limited use requirement, so won't work for a daily driver. For example, in Tennessee an "Antique Vehicle" registration only allows you to drive on weekends and national holidays. 

Things are different with a very old vehicle. States don't like the idea of a 75 year old car, which wouldn't come close to DOT regulations, running down their highways. So, they want to limit their use

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 2:11pm
Keep in mind that any solution to a title problem that works in one state may or may not be the answer to your title problem in your state. There are 51 different titling jurisdictions in the United States and 51 different sets of regulations.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 2:54pm
He could just move to Virginia, or better yet Tennessee. WinkThumbs Up
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Fallguy173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 3:15am
A couple of potential ideas on this page. before and after pictures, receipts.....

Good luck!
Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2021 at 7:41am
Thanks fellas. Will keep you posted. Dont know whats going to happen. 

He who toils here, hath made his mark.
 Post Reply Post Reply