Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best "cheap" upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best "cheap" upgrade
    Posted: 07 Feb. 2021 at 10:24pm
So occasionally I see this thread pop up in other groups and figured it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this

What do you consider to be the best less than $150 upgrade or modification to your Jeep? Im looking for some relatively inexpensive things to tinker with on my 2a as I go through the process of getting it roadworthy
47 CJ2a
225 V6
4 speed
Dana 18 with husky overdrive unit
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2021 at 10:29pm
00 size battery and ground cables. It makes a huge difference in how well it will start. Also proper soldered on battery terminals.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2021 at 11:00pm
Wiring...

...even better, 12 volt wiring...but the full conversion would cost more than $150...

...however, it was worth 4 times the price of $150 because I've NEVER (knock on wood!) had problems keeping a battery charged after putting on the Delco alternator, 12 volt starter, and a wiring harness. With the old 6 volt system it was always giving me a problem, even though I cleaned every connection until it sparkled...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2021 at 11:33pm
TightSteer!
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 5:36am
Great suggestion abt. 00 battery cables. My 6v ‘48 cranked really slowly despite good starter, grounds, and reproduction original style cables (RFJ). Just put in new 00 cables and it cranks much faster now. 
I got the cables from BatteryCablesUSA in Louisville,KY: they custom make them according to your order form (online). Cost for all three was $47.19. 
Dave R.

'46 CJ2A
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 1:07pm
I noticed the most difference in my Jeeps performance after installing a re-built Carter WO carburetor from Scoutpilot. He installs new throttle shaft bushings in the manifolds and fully tests them prior to sending them back.... What a difference! 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 1:15pm
Something quick, simple and cheap are these grease zerk dust covers. Went with yellow as more of a visual to where they are located at besides keeping fitting clean.
They come in different colors- even black for the slight purist in the group.

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 3:42pm
Cup Holder.  Smile

Edited by athawk11 - 23 Feb. 2021 at 3:43pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 3:44pm
In my mind, which is a strange place sometimes, the best upgrade to your jeeps capability off road is seat time, and all it cost you is the price of gas.
Get out there and try stuff. Don't start crazy, but start somewhere. Get to know the driving characteristics of your rig. Get to know the limits of your "send it" mentality. And get to see some of God's creations that people that don't have an open top, 4 wheel drive, wonder of a driving, climbing, flexing, dream machine don't get to see.
If it will move, stop and light up safely, drive it. Don't wait for that one more thing to be done before you go. 
Your mileage may vary.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
stevez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 4:33pm
well said. it never fails to amaze me what a box stock flat fender will do with just a good set of snows.
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 4:33pm
11" brakes.
Used to be able to buy the set of 4 for $150.
And 2 days later, you could stop on a dime.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 7:44pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 10:23pm
..... ..I've got one on the dash of my Dodge...she likes to dance with the diesel.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
kilroy26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 12:43am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

In my mind, which is a strange place sometimes, the best upgrade to your jeeps capability off road is seat time, and all it cost you is the price of gas.
Get out there and try stuff. Don't start crazy, but start somewhere. Get to know the driving characteristics of your rig. Get to know the limits of your "send it" mentality. And get to see some of God's creations that people that don't have an open top, 4 wheel drive, wonder of a driving, climbing, flexing, dream machine don't get to see.
If it will move, stop and light up safely, drive it. Don't wait for that one more thing to be done before you go. 
Your mileage may vary.

I plan on taking you up on that advice as soon as I get the brakes working again. What was supposed to be a quick weekend project has turned into over a month of tinkering and waiting for parts to show up.
47 CJ2a
225 V6
4 speed
Dana 18 with husky overdrive unit
 Post Reply Post Reply