Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buick V6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buick V6
    Posted: 18 Feb. 2021 at 11:18pm
I just scored a V6 out of a 1985 Buick that only had 14K miles on it for $250. 

Now I have to decide which Jeep to put it in.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 12:31am
Check the timing gears before you run it too much.  The original plastic coated aluminum gears did not hold up well and it would be a shame to wipe out the valve train.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2021 at 7:06pm
A good point. I plan to install a different cam anyway so will have a new gear set.  

Thing I am scratching my head over is the plumbing for the Rochester Dual Jet carburetor, which has more fittings than I know what to do with Shocked

I know what to do with the excess of vacuum fittings, but there is a hose barb fitting near the top of the carburetor which I assume is for the fuel return line, not sure what to do with that since my fuel tank does not have a return line fitting.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2021 at 9:43pm
One of the ports is the vacuum advance for the distributor.  I don’t recall there being a fuel return line for the carb, that takes place at the pump. 
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2021 at 10:14pm
If I remember, that upper vent is simply plumbed to the air cleaner so it gets fitered air.
john
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2021 at 2:15am
Originally posted by uncamoney uncamoney wrote:

If I remember, that upper vent is simply plumbed to the air cleaner so it gets fitered air.

Not exactly TO the air cleaner, but it is a source of clean air for the hot-air choke. Look inside the air horn, you can see the end of that tube, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2021 at 3:05am
A lot of peole don't know the difference between a 2G  and a 2GC. I think you are correct, it would be a 2GC.
john
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2021 at 1:42pm
If you have one of these later V6's, is it a good idea to use a heavier flywheel like the 225?

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2021 at 2:16pm

Yes the 2G is manual choke as used on CJ’s while the 2GC is the auto choke version as used on Commando’s.

The 49 pound flywheel helps even out odd fire impulse and promotes low rpm torque via inertia.

Edited by oldtime - 16 Mar. 2021 at 2:18pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 1:00am
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

If you have one of these later V6's, is it a good idea to use a heavier flywheel like the 225?

I don't remember if the even fire engines are internally or externally balanced, so if you're contemplating using a 225 flywheel you may need to do more research. But a heavy flywheel would be a good thing.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 1:13am
The ideal situation is a rotating assembly balanced with the flywheel. Not always practical. Used on an even fire the dauntless flywheel should be neutral balanced at a minimum. Generally you can " get away with it" due to the low rpm usage.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 1:17am
My 3B V6 has a manual choke, it was a bit of time to learn about how to use it. Strange, on the coldest of mornings, It would start so I could jumpstart my work van. The 'Mando has a 2GC. It took a bit of tweaking to get it working well.
john
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2021 at 5:58am
If you are not doing a full rebuild with the crank out, but swapping flywheels. you should be able to take the original flywheel or flexplate from the engine to the balance shop to match the new one. 

Edited by Jw60 - 19 Mar. 2021 at 5:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply