Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 60>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 5:32pm
I'm guessing.... Santy Claus didn't bring you a tech manual?

It couldn't be more simple, unbolt the locking hub, bolt on the other. Suggest using a correctly set torque wrench.

Mission creep dictates that it's also a good opportunity to inspect the rest of the axle to make sure you don't have other problems.

P.S. On every 4x4 I've ever driven, I've never had a doubt that the front axle was engaged. I can always "feel" a very distinctive "pull" from the front end when driving. It's unmistakable, at least to me.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 04 Jan. 2022 at 6:14pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 7:33pm
Yes I agree with the pull, I too have always felt that, the only thing that made me doubt it was the snow and the lack of driver experience...Embarrassed

I'll see if I can snatch the hubs off that spare axle, clean em up and slap em on while it's down for engine work 

Edited by General Eisenhower - 04 Jan. 2022 at 7:34pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 7:41pm
Snatch and slap......gotta love it....LOL
1951 M38
1951 M100
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 2:32pm
I got my second covid shot, so I'm definitely not doing too well today. But I did go over an axle diagram. I'm not sure of the spare axle i have sitting, but i suppose the swap of hubs to flanges would also be subject to the axle splines? I'm not sure of eithers spline count. Tomorrow I can check but today I need rest
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I got my second covid shot, so I'm definitely not doing too well today. But I did go over an axle diagram. I'm not sure of the spare axle i have sitting, but i suppose the swap of hubs to flanges would also be subject to the axle splines? I'm not sure of eithers spline count. Tomorrow I can check but today I need rest

All the axles should have the same spline count if if they are different style. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 4:53pm
Almost got the jeep buttoned back up and fingers crossed I hope my problems with choke are solved. Valves adjusted to 0.015 as per scout pilots recommended gap. Felpro gasket on the manifold, and everything is bolted tight. I'll try starting it tomorrow if I have time, but I'm too cold to try tonight.

Anyone else experience coolant weep out after sitting for a few weeks? Its weeping out of the thermostat housing to hose joint. 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 5:08pm
I wouldn’t think that is a good thing on you coolant. Maybe tweak the clamp a bit or pop it off and clean up the housing some and make sure no junk is causing issues. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 5:21pm
The amount is next to none, literally like a couple drops
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 5:59pm
If it will leak even a couple of drops cold, think what it would do hot and under pressure!

Either tighten the clamp some more, or if it won't tighten, take the hose off and clean the thermostat housing and inspect it for pinholes. Clean the inside of the hose and reinstall. I mention pinholes because the housing will rust through sometimes. I hope you are running a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. That will eliminate most corrosion problems.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 6:05pm
I am running a 50 50 mix, I've noticed the problem in the past but last I remember seeing it was last January it sat for a month while I was active to DC. Never has a problem when driving and when warm... just strange, I'll try tightening the clamp and see if that'll doer in

Th hose is basically new from last year and the thermostat housing was in good shape and not corroded at all (again noted from last year)

Could it be do to the relative low temperature to the area being around 25 degrees recently and it hasn't been running in about a month?

Edited by General Eisenhower - 17 Jan. 2022 at 6:08pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 7:59pm
General I had a similar problem. My housing was pitted where the hose connected. There was room to double clamp the hose to the housing. After four years I have experienced no more leaks. Might work for you.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 7:03am
I had this problem on a wd   45 ,pitted thermostat housing. So I filled it with jb  weld and sanded it smooth, works great.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2022 at 9:36pm
So I got it back up and running. Still needs choke to run....Angry
All the valves adjusted
Eveything is tight, felpro manifold gasket. 

It is idling at about 1000 rpm, and it wont go lower, the idle stop screw is backed out but it wont go down any further so I'm scratching my head.
I have the timing set to pull the strongest vacuum which is about 20.5 pounds, but the needle bounces slightly, it did that before the valves where adjustedConfused

I feel like I can figure the idle problem out, but I dont know anymore about my choke issue
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2022 at 9:42pm
We got activated to help in hospitals for at least the next few months and I'm four days on and four days off so hopefully this buys me more time to figure stuff out on it. 

I just want to move on to other issues, I dont mind dealing with problems, however I'm getting close to a year of this problem and I'm not experienced enough (clearly) to figure this out lol
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 12:48pm
In light of your previous owners plumbing, I would look to see if the PCV valve is stuck open or there are no guts inside. 

Are you getting the same throttle issue with the pedal linkage disconnected?

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

In light of your previous owners plumbing, I would look to see if the PCV valve is stuck open or there are no guts inside. 

Are you getting the same throttle issue with the pedal linkage disconnected?

Micah

Yes to the throttle issue and I can get some PCV pictures when I get home, last I remember it had that little cone in it but that's all

Curious, could a temporary plug on the manifold in place of the pcv reveal if it is in fact the problem?

Edited by General Eisenhower - 21 Jan. 2022 at 12:52pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 1:03pm
I did open it up and clean it a bit ago but I can check again
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 9:45pm
This is it exactly as it came off and just after I pulled it apart, both halfs, the spring and the cone.

Any keen eyes spot something?

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 60>