Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 60>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Here's the answer

Is there a thermostat inside there somewhere?

Edited by Ron D - 27 Jan. 2022 at 5:29pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 5:30pm
It looks to be a thermostat element, and the cable piece had broken off, been like that since I got it and it caught a few eyes
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 6:14pm
Just a guess, but the brass thingy looks to me like a heat sensing element for a temp gauge.

But that's not what I asked about. Is there a regular thermostat and it's retainer inside the housing that's still bolted to the head?

I asked because it looks like the brass thingy that you removed could protrude far enough into the hole to interfere with a thermostat?
1951 M38
1951 M100
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 6:16pm
Yes there is the regular thermostat and its retainer in there, and I dont remember it interfering when I last had it apart so we shall see when I am able to run it again, carbs out for service 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 6:37pm
I will say on a random note, it is really nice to be the 100 percent owner of this vehicle, still being young not many others my age can say that about large purchases 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 6:39pm
So kind of comes back to the ground being bad. Really hard to be right if not even there 

While you wait on scoutpilot you might turn on ignition and connect a alligator clip to a good frame ground and see how that impacts the meter. If you have a long enough clip, connect it back to tank sender unit screw too. Just remember to burnish the ground point so no paint or corrosion etc drives up resistance. 

You might also want to remove sender and calibrate the gauge as best you can. I want my gauge to read empty before my tank is. So if you can’t be exact cheat to show less than actual. 

Then you won’t have to call anyone to bring fuel. 

Bitz
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 6:46pm
So I believe the PO at some point before rhino lining the tank looks like they might have brazed the sender on a few of the holes instead of screwing it. I attempted to replace the unit all together till I saw that. 

When I ground it the needle does move about an eighth of the guage down to what a handy stick tells me is closer to accurate amount displayed. 

I've been carrying that stick over a year, it doesnt lieLOL
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 10:18am
Ol' Red's gas gauge reads full until it doesn't. When the needle starts to move a bit she has almost exactly 4 gallons of gas left in the tank and it is time to get to the gas station for more fuel. I carry a full 5 gallon GI can on a rack attached to the tailgate chain slots with bolts. As a side note, Ol' Red only gets the very best no ethanol gas available. Anything else is asking for vapor lock problems when she is at the FCT.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Ol' Red's gas gauge reads full until it doesn't. When the needle starts to move a bit she has almost exactly 4 gallons of gas left in the tank and it is time to get to the gas station for more fuel. I carry a full 5 gallon GI can on a rack attached to the tailgate chain slots with bolts. As a side note, Ol' Red only gets the very best no ethanol gas available. Anything else is asking for vapor lock problems when she is at the FCT.

Do you crack your own gas or can you just find that out there? Cause no ethanol isnt really around here... 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 10:48am
So if the tank is isolated from the frame/body of the Jeep because of the rhino stuff look to see if there is another bonding point. The rear hold down bolt might do it. But you need to get some type of ground path. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 10:52am
Will the sender need a ground as well as the guage or is grounding just the guage fine?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 11:05am
  I didn't think there were any non-ethanol gas around here until I googled it and found a few within a couple miles of me.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 11:08am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I didn't think there were any non-ethanol gas around here until I googled it and found a few within a couple miles of me.

Jim

Typically IF I can find non ethanol, its usually a higher octane, not sure how much of a performance difference it would make
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 11:22am
There is probably little performance change at low altitudes but in the mountains, non ethanol fuel helps with vapor lock issues. I run non-ethanol fuel in both my jeep and my 2018 pickup truck. I don't believe that ethanol in gasoline helps in any way. Others opinions may vary...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 11:38am
  I have been using regular gas with ethanol for years with out any problems  in my jeep. The jeep sits all winter without running and hasn't failed yet starting warmer weather gets here.  I posted about google also to benefit others that might want to run non-ethanol gas.
  Enjoy reading the progress on your jeep.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2022 at 3:36pm
  One ground path for the sending unit is through the tank to the rear hold-down bracket. Paint, bedliner, anti-squeak material and rust and dirt can interfere with it. I try to keep a good clean connection here. Another path (some say the original intended one) is through the fuel outlet line to a clip that holds the line to the first hat channel it comes to. No asphaltum looming was applied over the line at this point. As above, paint, bedliner, rust and dirt, and cutting the line and inserting rubber hose and/or a filter will interfere here. This is probably why so many need to run a ground wire. This practice causes other problems as well. 
BW 

Edit for the sole purpose of correcting #%€£¥$&@ Spellcheck‘s  $&@¥£€%#!!!

Edited by Bruce W - 28 Jan. 2022 at 3:43pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2022 at 10:54pm
Can someone with good stock springs tell me the approximate distance between the front tire and fender? I think mine are getting tired after a few years (crown) but I have originals I'm cleaning up and hoping they work
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2022 at 10:27am
From the top center of a 16" tire to the bottom outside edge of the front fender is 5 1/2". The springs I have are new last year in March.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 60>