Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 60>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 4:52pm
Alright then, from what I had seen it was simple and easy. Maybe I was mistaken?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 4:55pm
I had a fuel tank lined on a Jeep one time. It worked great right up until it didn't. It turned into an absolute disaster. I was out on the trail when it happened. Never again will I do that. In all fairness it took about 7 years for that lining to start coming loose.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 7:30pm
  “Cracking”?  Do you mean removing the ethanol from pump gas? Yes there are videos on how to do that and I think there’s more than one way. But there are other additives in gasoline that we need, and noone knows how much or how many of those additives are removed as well. And how do you plan to dispose of the ethanol you remove?
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 16 May 2022 at 7:31pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 7:47pm
Not sure of the details but I was under the impression that alcohol removal is pretty simple. If I recall all it really involves is adding water to the gas; since alcohol is hydroscopic it mixes with the water then you just drain both off. I suspect the details that matter amount to using good containers that facilitate the process and draining off the precise amount based on what percentage of alcohol has been added. Usually 10% around my neck of the woods. As mentioned there are plenty of vids.

As for Brians vids on main seals, he has several on both types. The rubber seals he uses require the crankshaft to be welded and turned to a non-stock diameter for proper sealing.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:20pm
To your question Bruce, my dads waste oil heater I think can burn pure ethanol, however I'm not sure about it being watered down and also it being summer time it would sit for a few months before use....

So the install of the tank went surprisingly catch free, I had to bend the steel line up a little to route it properly but was able to bend it back once in position. No leaks, and everything is running strong!
I'll add the tank I took off was substantially heavier than the one I put on, and the fuel cap fits tighter on the new one and so far no fuel is sloshing out!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

Not sure of the details but I was under the impression that alcohol removal is pretty simple. If I recall all it really involves is adding water to the gas; since alcohol is hydroscopic it mixes with the water then you just drain both off. I suspect the details that matter amount to using good containers that facilitate the process and draining off the precise amount based on what percentage of alcohol has been added. Usually 10% around my neck of the woods. As mentioned there are plenty of vids.

As for Brians vids on main seals, he has several on both types. The rubber seals he uses require the crankshaft to be welded and turned to a non-stock diameter for proper sealing.
The process I saw was precisely that. Mix in the water and gas in a clear container and once the ethanol and water mix, they sink to the bottom. At which point you drain it out and use the pure gasoline 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:08pm
Might want to check first?
Seeing as the law in Delaware apparently prohibits selling ethanol-free gas they might also have a law against making home brew?
Don't want to become an outlaw by offending the tree-huggers if they find out what you're doing. LOL

It might give the rest of us a bad name.

Edited by Ron D - 16 May 2022 at 9:27pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:29pm
  As I said, there are other additives in pump gas that need to be in there. Removing the ethanol also removes some of those additives, and nobody seems to know how much of which ones are removed. Making gasoline frome crude oil is a very precise and complicated process. Im sure that removing the ethanol and getting back a good grade of alcohol-free gasoline suitable for use in an internal combustion engine is more complex than just adding water and draining off the alcohol/water. I nearly failed high-school chemistry, so I’m no chemist, but I’m not about to risk my health or that of my vehicles to some Bubba with a Go-Pro. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:36pm
x2
Leave chemistry to the chemists. Especially stuff that goes "boom".

And the guy that he buys his home-owners insurance from might not like it either.

Edited by Ron D - 16 May 2022 at 9:38pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:42pm
No one sells E0 gas within 50 miles of me. I treat the 10% ethanol with stabil marine - so far so good. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Might want to check first?
Seeing as the law in Delaware apparently prohibits selling ethanol-free gas they might also have a law against making home brew?
Don't want to become an outlaw by offending the tree-huggers if they find out what you're doing. LOL

It might give the rest of us a bad name.

Well Sussex county (southern most out of the three) offers ethanol free now but I believe it's for watercraft only. As you know the ban of pure gasoline in favor of an ethanol blend is for a greener tomorrow and all that. 
Concerning the law against home brew, I've never heard of a law banning a home brew concoction. I do believe that the current law covers the distribution and selling of any amount, so I'm sure if I decided to sell it I might be in trouble. I do wonder if the instate refinery we have process' pure gas but ships it outta state to sell...

Bruce, you are right about the inevitable removal of at least parts of the additive package. Before I would think about feeding it to the jeep I would have several samples lab tested first, see a baseline, and what's missing or changed. From there I could determine what and how to reintegrate the necessary additives. The test would tell me if it would even be worth doing in the first place. I'd hate to double the jeeps fuel expenditure just to refine the gas back to a purer state.

This is just an idea I've been bouncing around and I like all the points brought to the table!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

As you know the ban of pure gasoline in favor of an ethanol blend is for a greener tomorrow and all that.

And you want to delay tomorrow by making your own home brew? Say it ain't so! LOL

So long as it's OD green I'm all for it: Freedom.
What I know about the rest is that it's mostly cooked-up political buffoonery.

Good luck with your science experiment!

Edited by Ron D - 16 May 2022 at 10:38pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 11:05pm
Might see you on the “Darwin Report”. 
Mike in AZ
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Might see you on the “Darwin Report”. 
Lol, well for now I'll shelve the idea until more research can be done into it. I am not taking this lightly, as mentioned by others, I recognize the inherent danger not only the harm I could do to the engine but myself as well.

Now on a different note, a month or so ago I sent my 1897 Winchester out to get restored and this is what it looked like

This is it now. Made in 1907 so it's nice to put some life back into its lungs
It got refinished, small parts replaced, wood work done, and heat shield added for my bayonet

Edited by General Eisenhower - 17 May 2022 at 10:43am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 12:47pm
I've been studying up since my last post... I'm not seeing any mention of other additives, whatever those may be, being removed by the process. Since pure ethanol is about 113 octane, removing it lowers the overall octane number a little, but I can't see how that's a bad thing for a flathead engine designed in the 1940's to run on gasoline of lesser octane than we have today. 

As far as the process goes, appropriate safety measures for flammable liquids should be followed of course, but how is it more dangerous to add water and drain it off, than just filling up a jerry can at the gas pump? It seems a stretch to compare it to a "chemistry experiment" where someone blindly compounds possibly reactive chemicals.

Finally; wow! I love your shotgun, it looks great.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Well Sussex county (southern most out of the three) offers ethanol free now but I believe it's for watercraft only. 

Do they make you pull up in your boat to get it?

Its labeled 'Marine' at our Quik-Mart too but that doesn't keep us from pulling up in the jeep and filling up or filling a gas can for the lawn mowers.  Shocked
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 1:53pm
At high elevations the ethanol versions tend to vapor lock. Participants of the Fall Color Tour at the Thirsty Dirt Ranch (elevation above MSL ~7600 feet) run ethanol free gas even though it costs more.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 17 May 2022 at 1:55pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 7:30am
If you added sea foam or stabil would that counteract the ethanol globs? I'm sure it would help but could it dissolve the glob?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 60>