Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 60>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 8:27am
Good Morning Everyone:

I too have participated in the Fall Color Tour the last two years.  Vapor lock problems of ethanol laced gasoline, at altitude can be substantial.  I would not even attempt to make that run without alcohol free gas of some sort.  On my first tour, once the engine compartment had heated up and as we climbed in altitude, I literately watched the fuel in the glass top of the fuel pump and the clear plastic fuel filter, boil and vaporize, starving the engine.  As I iced down the fuel lines, pump and filter, without the engine running, I watched both fill back up and wallah -- the engine started

Colorado and here in PA we can buy alcohol free gasoline at certain gas stations.  I also have used av-gas in a pinch when the alcohol free gas is not available.  It is also extremely stable.  Every year I put 5 gallons or so, in each vehicle, prior to the Veterans Day Parade, usually my last event for the year.  The av-gas then mixes throughout the entire fuel system during the parade.  The next spring, assuming the batteries are still up, they'll all start on the first try.

Yep, it costs more, but it eliminates the additives.  Av-gas has a 100 octane rating vs the 93 octane rating we see here on the alcohol free at the auto gas stations, so there is a boost there as well.

Regards,

Walter
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 9:01am
This is likely posted elsewhere in the forum, possibly this very thread but here it is anyway just in case (a link to show where there is 100% gas): https://www.pure-gas.org/

It’s not perfect. It does a good job for this area but 100% gas and dyed (farm) diesel are readily available here. I have been told many times in different states that premium is 100% gas but the only sample I tested had alcohol in it. That station had a sign out front stating it was 100% but I should test other stations.  
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 8:56am
Finalized my fuel tank and line replacement by getting the right size screws for the tank sender, now everything is buttoned up. 
And so far it is no longer leaking from the cap, same cap but the new tank clamps tighter to it

I think my favorite part of the new tank is it isnt covered in the hot pink bed liner
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 1:36pm
Went on a drive to the park and after a stop sign, I shift into first and when I go to upshift my clutch pedal hits the floor, only being held up by the spring.
I pull off the road and low and behold the clutch rod has slipped off. My guess is it sheared off the pin.
Fortunately I was able to pop it on just well enough to get into gear and get to the hardware store for a hair pin. Driving back the clutch pedal has about half length of movement not engaging and then it does. After getting home and looking the clutch rod seems to be incredibly worn out, so I'll order a new one and see once that is installed if anything else is getting worn out 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 3:40pm
So I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess my clutch cam eye is worn out as well, further contributing to the slop in the pedal. The other end looks good at least

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 3:56pm
Remember to note which end goes which way when you reinstall a new pivot. If put in wrong it will cause the throw out bearing fork to over-extend and you will pull the cable through the clutch fork retainer hook. Don't bother to ask how I know this...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 23 May 2022 at 3:57pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 4:08pm
Lol I will. Now I disnt see in the manuel how that comes out exactly. I see two pins in it and I see where its bolted to the frame on the one side. What is the right way to do it?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Lol I will. Now I disnt see in the manuel how that comes out exactly. I see two pins in it and I see where its bolted to the frame on the one side. What is the right way to do it?

After disconnection the rod and cable, unbolt the the ball stud that is connected to the frame (two bolts). Then you should be able to slide the tube along the frame enough to get it off the ball stud on the transfer case.
The cotter pins in the tube act as stops for the felt pads inside the tube that hold grease. There is also a spring in at lest one side (if I remember correctly, not looking at a drawing or anything) to keep the pads in contact with the ball studs  
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 5:39pm
Simple enough, thanks Stan!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 5:39pm
The longer eared end of the pivot tube goes toward the frame. The short ear is the one that connects to the clutch cable yoke on the transfer case end. I would replace the pivot tube rather than repair it.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 5:45pm
The combined slop in the existing linkages make up alot of pedal free play, so that's gonna ge addressed now
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

The longer eared end of the pivot tube goes toward the frame. The short ear is the one that connects to the clutch cable yoke on the transfer case end. I would replace the pivot tube rather than repair it.

That is my plan, to replace it 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 7:37pm
Received new spring shackles and hopefully tomorrow I'll be installing them! I'll take before and after of the front, side, and rear

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 9:54pm
Nice looking shackles where did you get them?

Also, if you need that clutch crossover tube I probably have a decent one or two laying around you can have for the price of the ride.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Nice looking shackles where did you get them?

Also, if you need that clutch crossover tube I probably have a decent one or two laying around you can have for the price of the ride.  
The shackles I got from a member in the member made parts.
And I got that good and installed, that's how I noticed the clutch pedal was so light after installing non worn out parts
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Received new spring shackles and hopefully tomorrow I'll be installing them! I'll take before and after of the front, side, and rear

Just curious, why did you decide not to go with the "C" type OEM shackles?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 1:32pm
A couple reasons,
One being that these new ones are a stronger
Two being at least on of mine is bent from the accident, slightly but still.
I had been looking at getting a more stock set like the above, I think originally for the m38, am I wrong? However I couldnt find any made in US, and these were which was a big winner for me too
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 6:09pm
I'm curious how bad can a "leak" be if it's coming from the shift tower? I pulled the cover and under it I notice a generous portion of the lower tower is wet with mineral oil. I dont believe I have a seal on the tower currently but I have one on the way

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 60>