Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 60>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2023 at 8:24pm
  If you flood the engine with fuel (I know. It’s hard to tell - is it flooded or too lean for the cold?), push the choke in all the way and hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking. This will help clear the excess fuel and provide an acceptable air/fuel ratio. When it starts to fire - DON’T LET UP! Hold it down until it starts to hit in all four and build some rpm’s. Hold it down part way until it “cleans out” and runs smoothly. You’ve got to give it a chance to clear, and it needs air to do that. Don’t let up as soon as it fires - keep it revved until it clears. With discretion of course. You will learn what “flooded” sounds like and how to clear it. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2023 at 9:08pm
Given the circumstances, I would say it was flooded, I pushed to much fuel without getting a spark. Again being my fault, spent all day inside so it felt significantly colder out than it was.
Normally my jeep starts right up on cold days with one push of the pedal and about half ish choke, then feathered down
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2023 at 5:05am
It seems my hypothesis was correct, today I have it no gas and maybe half choke and it started right up, cooked off the condensation and everything was normal for it. It still likes choke to idle properly but that usually goes away after putting load on it and I won't have to use choke for the remainder of the trip, although it does make it idle smoother

Was able to thin out some of the four inch foam to about 2 1/2 inch with a DE razor and I'm happy with the results and it makes for a pretty comfortable seat!

Edited by General Eisenhower - 28 Jan. 2023 at 5:06am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2023 at 6:27pm
Looks good.
I still don't see the seat back retaining hooks installed.
Am guessing you decided not to put them on.
1951 M38
1951 M100
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2023 at 6:33pm
It's not fully installed yet, I still have to weld the feet to the bed on as well
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 9:59pm
Took my jeep out today for about a half hour drive, it's nice to get some time away from the family just to get it out of the garage. On this drive, sometimes I like to stop at a dirt trail along the road and run it in 4 high and low, everynow and again just to check functionality and listen for anything abnormal.
Well it was going good, 4 high and I switch into 4 low and go about 300 feet and at the snap of a finger it lurches to a halt and stalls. 
When I get it back up and running, engine started right up no problems there, it doesn't want to move either direction in 4 low. I shift into 4 hi and 2 hi, no problems getting home. I had a couple miles to ho after that happened and I didn't hear anything weird and it performed normally in 4 high and 2 high. I double checked when I got home, still not wanting to budge in 4 low, either way. 
If it matters I do have drive flanges. 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:01pm
Just to add, with the transmission in neutral and TC in 4 low, I can still feel something locked up,  trying to rock it back and forth. But perfectly fine in the other ranges
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:12pm
  Stan Fuller had a similar problem once. He went too far, too long, and too fast in 4-low and overdrive, and the high-range output gear welded itself to the output shaft. Did your transfer case have sufficient lubricant in it? It sounds like the same thing. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:13pm

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:17pm
It does have the proper amount of lubricant. Is this something I can check by taking the bottom cover off?

I don't use 4lo very much, not many rocks in DE. I also wasn't going very fast, I went through all three gears but only got to around 10mph, the down shifted and was putting along at maybe 6mph when it happened. And this was all on dirt, not the hardball 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:23pm
  Yeah, although it sounds like the same problem, I didn’t think it was caused by the same actions. 
  Yes, you should be able to check it from the bottom with the pan off. 
BW 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:25pm
Alright, I should be baby free one Thursday with no obligations (finally). I'll pop into it and look as well as post some pictures. How did he remedy his problem?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:28pm
  You don’t want to hear this - replace the shaft and the gear. Can it be done in the jeep? I don’t know. I think maybe so. Ill have to look into it. 
BW 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:31pm
Lol I suppose it depends on which shaft it is, I can't remember but I have a transfer case I'm working on tearing down now and I'm having a helluva time getting the bearings gear off the shaft
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:40pm
  😢 Normally, Id say it looks like you could remove that shaft (rear output) and gears. They are the bottom ones. Trouble is, the shaft will have to slide out towards the rear, sliding out of those two gears. If the high-range output gear is stuck on the shaft, the shaft can’t come out. 
BW 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 10:59pm
If this is the issue, what causes it to manifest and why in the middle of a little drive?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 11:13pm
  Good question. Stan’s is the only one I’ve ever seen before, and that was clearly a case of,,,well, I don’t want to say abuse, let’s just say a case of conditions exceeding design parameters. Wink I’ve driven many, many miles, sometimes all day, in 4-low, with others doing the same, with no problems. I keep trying to think of something else that could cause it to act as you say, and I can’t come up with anything. Maybe you’ll find something new and we’ll both learn something. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 21 Feb. 2023 at 11:14pm

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2023 at 11:16pm
I don't mind learning, I'm sure it's obvious but the miles I put on mine are nothing compared to the miles Stan puts on his rig. I'll get back with some pictures soon

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2023 at 12:29pm
Bruce thinks I abused my transfer case. Well, I did. Driving high speed  in low range for an extended period. Lesson learned. That's how I learn lots of lessons. Confused
I had a terrible time getting the case apart. In fact I never did. I took it to Novak (about 40 minutes from my house) and ask them to try and get the stuck gear off the shaft. They couldn't and broke the case trying. I had to get a different case and move the parts that were still good from the old case along with replacing the bad stuff. 
I doesn't sound like yours was abused, so maybe some sort of failure that will be easier to fix. I hope for that anyway.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 60>