Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shifter boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shifter boot
    Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 9:42pm
What vendor has the best rubber boot for the trans shifter? I put one on just about a year ago and I've noticed recently it's already starting to degrade. It's in a garage when I'm not driving it, so it doesn't get that much sunshine, but starting to get cracks anyway. I don't mind paying a litttle extra to get one that lasts more than a year.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 9:54pm
I have not seen any from anybody to actually brag about.....leather is the best option for a 'driver'.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 10:01pm

I use leather also, but if you want rubber the military M38 is a nice replacement for a more heavy duty boot.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 10:55pm
I made them out of some cordura kind of fabric used in backpacks and luggage. 
BOULDER 48 2A
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 12:22am
Does a leather boot go over a rubber one, or do you use the leather boot alone? Old Toyota FJs use double boots.

Edited by oldscot3 - 23 Feb. 2021 at 12:23am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 1:13am
I see no good reason not to use both if you prefer that.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 2:00am

If you would use rubber under the leather, the leather would stay looking nice a lot longer.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 2:17am
It’s hard to find a good boot that doesn’t dry rot, I had one from I think omix that only lasted a few months. I put two boots on the farm Jeep, i used a small rubber boot for a farm tractor that fit tight around the cane and then put the larger boot over that, it sits out in the weather so I wanted to be sure it wouldn’t let in water.
You should be able to do the same thing with the leather boot, and still have protection from the occasional rain storm.
If you have some sewing skills there’s some nice patterns on here that will work with leather, vinyl, or whatever you like.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2021 at 4:33am
Ok... thats the plan then. Leather over a rubber boot.

update; I checked the usual vendors, they have leather boots for mb. Most were green but Walck's were brown., should look good on my red jeep so I ordered them up. Of course, a few other items found their way into my cart.

Edited by oldscot3 - 23 Feb. 2021 at 5:02am
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2021 at 12:03am
Update; My new shifter boots arrived from Walck's and the verdict is, the leather boot for the tranny won't fit over a rubber boot. The rubber boot is bigger at the base so it's one or the other. 

I will say this though, I ordered a new rubber one with the leather and, just looking at it, it appears to be higher quality than the last one I got.

The little leather boot for the t-case might fit over the rubber boot. I think I'll give it try when I get time.
ziv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ziv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2021 at 5:05am
Another option is Stronghold. I dont have any sewing skills and i do have bad history with Omix products, so it was the right option for me.
I bought 2 shift boots and only 1 got bad  so its a better  then the Omix Embarrassed Should say they offered replacing it right away. I hope they have the right boot for your shifter.
 Post Reply Post Reply