Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Artic Version original or added later?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mbowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Artic Version original or added later?
    Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 7:24pm
Hello,

I am new to this Forum and think it is very cool that it exists.  I purchased a 1947 CJ-2A this past weekend and plan on restoring it with my son.  I quickly realized that I do not know a lot about the Willys, but am quickly learning.

The one I purchased is serial # 48988.  From everything I have read it should have a windshield that lays down on the hood.  The one I purchased is the "Artic" version that has a hood, stationary windshield, and doors.  Is this something that was added later or was it original?  I can see that a heater was added and it has a hydraulic pump for a plow.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks, Mark
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 7:38pm
Your jeep was originally a fold down windshield jeep. If you look at the lower corners of the hood towards the rear you will see the original bracket for the windshield pivot.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project. We like pictures, by the way!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 8:01pm
We like Jeep trucks too, what are ya hiding back there??
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 8:04pm
Yep, that top was orignally on a M38. Old Jeeps get lots of mods. 
john
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 5:35am
[QUOTE=muley] We like Jeep trucks too, what are ya hiding back there??[/QUOTE
My eyes deceive me - do the letters on the body say 'Jeep Truck'?
Mbowerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mbowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 1:34pm
Thanks for your response.  

It is defiantly a truck and I think it is a Jeep, but not sure.  It's in the garage where I bought the Willys.  I was more focused on how much work I had ahead of me restoring.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 1:49pm
Have you decided what direction you are going to move in? Are you just going to get it running first, or start a complete tare down? I believe most agree to get it going first.....

Do you know what you are shooting for in the end, i.e., off-roader, historically stock, yard rig, parade jeep, modified, etc.

In my experience, the hard top is nice, but depends what you are going for. It's not something I found to be easily taken on and off.... I love driving with the windshield down so I would not install one on my Jeep, however, my Dad has a Plow Jeep that the top will NEVER come off.

Good Luck, keep us posted! Thumbs Up

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Mbowerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mbowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 2:13pm
I think we are going for more of a parade Jeep.  We are doing a complete tare down and rebuild.  We already have the top and windshield off and are planning on going with the original fold down windshield.  Just something that looks good an to cruise around town with.  

The main reason I am doing this is because my 18 year old son has a huge interest in it.  He is very knowledgeable and loves cars, but doesn't have much hands on experience with them.  

The Willys seems perfect because they are cool, small and simple.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 2:26pm
Welcome to the Cj2A Page.  

Looks like a great father and son project!  

I would suggest rebuilding it in sections (Front axle, Engine, Transmission...) and keeping it on the road and doing some trips with other old Jeep people along the way.  I would do the sheet metal last.  That will keep the interest up.  Many people do a full tear down and lose interest with there kids on what can become a long project.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 2:28pm
Did you buy this out of Kiel, Wisconsin?
DMusil
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 2:35pm
Before you do a complete teardown and rebuild, drive it first so that you will get an appreciation of what you will be missing during the rebuild.

So many people buy a jeep, tear it down and store the parts in boxes. They then get discouraged, run out of money, run out of patience, run out of a place to work on it, etc. and the project gets abandoned.

Restoring a jeep to parade appearance is a worthy project and especially doing something with you son makes it even better. However, I firmly believe that driving the jeep before the restoration is important because it gives you some idea of what the jeep needs in the way of repairs. Make sure the brakes and steering work satisfactory and that the engine runs well enough to get it back to the house and drive it. See if it vibrates or makes unusual noises and make a list. Vary the speed, see if low range works, drive it on a trail...

Be sure to take pictures as you disassemble the component parts; it will help you with reassembly. Get a shop manual and use it for teardown and build.

Hope this helps. Jeeps are simple to work on, but the really purpose of a jeep is to drive it. Welcome to the world of flatfender jeeping!

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Mbowerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mbowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 3:30pm
Yes, bought it in Kiel this past weekend.  Did I buy it from you?
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 4:41pm
As SE Kansas 46 said get a shop manual.  I also used the book "Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual 1946-1971 by Moses Ludel Bentley Publishers when working on my CJ5 and M38.  Lots of good stuff.  Lots of help here just ask.  We like lots of pictures of your project too. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 10:48pm
X3 on driving it first.

X4, 5? on the pictures. These days with digital pictures, there is no excuse not to take pictures. Take pictures from every angle before you start the teardown. Take lots of pictures, get some (at least two) of every fitting, plug, & bracket from many angles. Get closeups as well as from further back so that you know where the fitting goes & which way it is pointing. Once you figure that you have enough pictures, take at least that many more, as you take them store them in at least two different places. It sucks to have a computer problem lose all your pictures for you. AMHIK. These days, I print two hard copies & store them in my shop & at a friends shop as well.

Once you have pictures of before the teardown, start the teardown. With every component removal, stop & take some more pictures. Yes this can be frustrating, but they will save you a crap ton of frustration later. Trust as on this. Many of us know this from firsthand experience.

BTW, I really like Willys pickups.
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 11:32pm
No. Saw it on facebook.
DMusil
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 11:33pm
Welcome Mark!  Looking forward to seeing where your flatfender adventure takes you and your son.  Lots of knowledge and advice here on the page.  Have fun!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2021 at 4:19am
Looks great, really like the split window doors
 Post Reply Post Reply