Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WW2 onboard USS Essex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 3:44pm
Yes, what a great bunch of pictures! Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2021 at 3:50am
Thanks SlaterDoc so much for sharing these photos.    Amazing!!!

Edited by JeepFever - 14 Mar. 2021 at 3:51am
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2021 at 4:37am
I like old photos, I have boxes and filing cabinets full of them. I sat down with mom and granny one afternoon. No  idea about some. One was my grandfathers grandmother. I might be part Native American?
john
maddenp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddenp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 9:15pm
Great pictures of and taken by my grandfather! He was a pretty incredible guy. See his write up here on Honor 365: https://honor365.org/ph1c-paul-j-madden/

If you are interested to know it, the injury for which he received a purple heart was actually after a kamikaze plane landed on the deck of the USS Essex. He was a very brave and enthusiastic photographer who was taking pictures during a kamikaze attack. 

He was notorious for taking big risks, but getting great shots. He was proud of his work and made a second set of negatives that he took with him after the war. As a kid, I remember watching him work in his dark room in the basement where he would enlarge photos and send them off to other Navy veterans and to USS Essex reunions. 

How did you come by his photos? I would love a digital set if you have made one.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 11:43pm
I love history in general, and am particularly interested in WW2 history because of all the men in my family who served in that war and were also a big part of my earlier years. 

I remember when I was a kid reading in the paper about the death of the last known soldier from the Civil War. Soon we will read of the last soldier from WW2 passing away, I would be honored to have a cup of coffee with one of them. 

Heck, as said above, it doesn't seem that long ago when the boys I grew up with were heading off to Vietnam, but now those boys are becoming old men. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
One2baja View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One2baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2022 at 10:07am
This is a picture of my father in a liberation parade in Italy WWII circa 1944.  He is the officer saluting with his driver and radio man.  I never found the picture until after he passed.  He didn't talk about the war very much but remember we enjoyed watching war/army movies together.  His love of the Jeep was passed on to me at the early age of 15. He helped me buy my first vehicle 1947 CJ-2A which I still own today!  Lt. Col James W. Meng retired after 26 years of service!  God Bless America!
"I think that I have seen it all until tomorrow"

'46 CJ2A # 45124   
'47 CJ2A #104643 "Betsy"
'49 CJ2A # ??
'80 XJ
'95 ZJ
'17 WK2
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2022 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by WillysWally WillysWally wrote:

Good Afternoon Everyone:

If you are interested in a really great read on the battle of Okinawa, it is With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge, aka Sledgehammer.  Sledge was a crew member on a mortor crew in Company K, 3 Battalion 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division.  It is his memoir of his experiences as a ground pounder on Peleliu and Okinawa.  He details the ferocity of taking those ridges on both islands.

The Book in part was also the basis of the HBO Hanks/Speilberg miniseries The Pacific.

Regards,

Walter 
  Read that book and went and bought the miniseries DVDs on HBO, great book and still watch the DVDs

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2022 at 9:18pm
Helmet for my pillow is another great read. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 10:50pm
I wonder how many times those “kids” drove off the side of the deck? It had to have happened more than once.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 3:50pm
Really interesting photos, thanks for sharing. The aerial images of the two Jap Zeros with their wings chewed up are remarkable. And, wonder if those jeeps aboard USS Essex were running on Avgas, or whether the carriers had a lower-octane gasoline for non-aircraft uses.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12