Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Play "What's this hole for?" with me...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2021 at 12:41am
Athawk11 is showing off his very cool M38.  Those are standard for that jeep....  you just need to add a hole for the rear bracket, which needs 3 (some PO was being stingy with his holes!)

Your tub is all set for sturdy CJ2A top bows, so don't mess with putting the mil version on it.  Can't clearly see the front vertical top bow post socket  in some of your photos, but it looks like it is there.  Located just behind your left elbow in the drivers seat, attached to the side panels and welded to the top of the rear fender dog house. It would be near your right elbow on the passenger side....

Talk to "lowenuf" on this forum to get a great summer or complete 2A canvas top.  His are great!  I got one, and they are super well made.

You're going to end up with a really nice original tub!  How are your front floor panels and hat sections?
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2021 at 12:44am
  I’m not sure about the purpose of the hole in the tab. Was it put there for the axe handle bracket to go through, or did it just happen to be in a good place?  MBs use it on the left, M38s use it on the right. One thing for sure, though, if you want your CJ2-A to be “factory correct” it needs to be there. Note that the hole is not centered in the tab, top-to-bottom. Another thing to note is that the GPWs with Ford-built bodies do not have the tab. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2021 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I’m not sure about the purpose of the hole in the tab. Was it put there for the axe handle bracket to go through, or did it just happen to be in a good place?  MBs use it on the left, M38s use it on the right. One thing for sure, though, if you want your CJ2-A to be “factory correct” it needs to be there. Note that the hole is not centered in the tab, top-to-bottom. Another thing to note is that the GPWs with Ford-built bodies do not have the tab. 
BW 

Yes, we talked about "the hole in the tab" quite a bit above. I believe on the CJ's, the hole is present on BOTH sides. And offset from center on both sides, as well.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:49pm

Okay, I'm welding up holes (again) today. (Which is really kind of a PITA. haha)

I got looking next at the 5 apparently "extra" holes along the top lip of the rear tub. They're present on both sides of the Jeep.

So, let me ask about these next 5, which I have marked in the photo below. I assume they need to go away too?

(I've set footman loops at the locations where they go)

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Vintage Don Vintage Don wrote:

Okay, I'm welding up holes (again) today. (Which is really kind of a PITA. haha)

I got looking next at the 5 apparently "extra" holes along the top lip of the rear tub. They're present on both sides of the Jeep.

So, let me ask about these next 5, which I have marked in the photo below. I assume they need to go away too?

(I've set footman loops at the locations where they go)

Weld them
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:52pm
Probably had a hard top at some point.

Here are the factory holes for footmans (mine was a half cab so my knockouts are still present except the one that fell out behind the spare): http://48cj2a.com/halfcab.htm

Edited by 48cj2a - 04 May 2021 at 7:53pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:16am
Thanks for that, lowenuf and 48cj2a. That attachment with the photos and notes is very helpful is several ways, 48cj2a, nicely done.

A hardtop at some point in the past makes a lot of sense, and also was my best guess as to why I have so many non-factory holes. 

I know one thing - the guy that drilled all these holes probably thought it took a while and was a lot of work. But I guarantee - it is a lot MORE work to un-drill all of them! haha

For some reason, I am unable to post here from my phone lately - I can't figure it out.... I've had to fire up the old Desktop to be able to answer.

I keep getting this message -

" Error 

Only members with sufficient permission can access this page." 

and yet this happens only when I hit the button to post the post. 

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:46am
It took me 5 tries from my laptop to post those two pictures, I was getting the same not sufficient permissions error. I finally logged completely out and re-logged in to get it to work.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 11:05am
Yep, that's pretty much what I had to do on the desktop, plus deleting history. It still won't cooperate on photos. But no matter what I try, it won't let me post from my phone.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:39pm
Next side -

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:52pm
All the circles are extras.
BOULDER 48 2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:56pm
Roger that, thanks for confirmation. (That's why they're circled.)
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:24pm
I'm wondering about the two on the right side of your posted image.  Those two holes are real close to where the vibration dampener should be.

Also:

second entry posts they were listed in '49 parts list but could be fitted to a 2A. Even thought parts lists state only for 7.00 x 15, there were two versions; one for 16" and one for 15"

Use Art's images to cross check the measurements with your spare carrier holes:
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

I'm wondering about the two on the right side of your posted image.  Those two holes are real close to where the vibration dampener should be.

Thanks for that, Rus.  

It could have been a dampener. But it sounds like those did not become available until '49, so it would have been a retrofit, on this early '46 - if that was what those holes were used for. 

Since the same set of holes appear on BOTH sides of the tub, though, it's probably more likely to have been about some top that was previously installed.

Regardless, the holes are not stock / original, so they're getting un-drilled.... Haha

Edited by Vintage Don - 06 May 2021 at 9:30am
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:35pm

So it took 2 afternoons (so far) - but the total of TWELVE holes (there's a few more on the upper rim of the tub in back, next to the tailgate opening, which aren't visible in this 'Before' photo) -

are now solid steel, once again. And you can't find a single pinhole with a bright flashlight on any of them! Haha

Tomorrow, I'll put a skim coat of mud (All-Metal) on them, sand it back down, and try to match up some paint.

I appreciate the help here in identifying the "wrong holes."

Next, I'll tackle the holes in the tailgate. They're pretty obvious there - at ain't point a spare tire bracket had been there, and a couple others that don't belong.

Each hole is it's own little project. I have to go back with the welder and grinder sometimes 3 and 4 cycles, to "kill all the rabbit holes" that try real hard to not get filled in.

Edited by Vintage Don - 06 May 2021 at 9:38pm
BUTA46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUTA46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:05am
Speculating on your Jeep’s history but my thought is that, when newer, someone put an aftermarket hard top on it and either never bought the soft top or tossed it and the bows.  My understanding is that everything except the drivers seat was an optional expense at the dealer when buying a new CJ.  So after taking the hard top on and off a couple of times, someone found a military surplus MB top and bows and put those on. Much cheaper than buying a top from the dealer. Surplus stuff was everywhere in the 1960’s. Those holes in the back for the M38 style tire carrier. I remember my dad telling me in the early seventies about how he (and many others,apparently) managed to tear the spare tire off the 2a by getting too close to a tree in the woods.

Edited by BUTA46 - 09 May 2021 at 7:08am
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:39am
Originally posted by BUTA46 BUTA46 wrote:

...someone found a military surplus MB top and bows and put those on. Much cheaper than buying a top from the dealer. Surplus stuff was everywhere in the 1960’s. Those holes in the back for the M38 style tire carrier. I remember my dad telling me in the early seventies about how he (and many others,apparently) managed to tear the spare tire off the 2a by getting too close to a tree in the woods.

The extra drilled hole positions are not for MB style bow brackets.  They are more similar to the M38 hole positions.  

The M38 tire carrier requires 6 drilled holes and are in different positions then the holes shown in the photo.

Edited by athawk11 - 09 May 2021 at 7:41am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
BUTA46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUTA46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:47am
Surplus M38 top then. Makes even more sense. And a 2A spare tire carrier on the tailgate. I have the M38 style on my 2A as well.

Edited by BUTA46 - 09 May 2021 at 7:50am
BUTA- Back Up Try Again

46 CJ2A #73349   “Poison Icky”
46 CJ2A #51119.   “Rock Sand”
46 CJ2A #80102.   “Marilyn Jean”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>