Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving axle forward?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving axle forward?
    Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 1:49am
has anyone moved the front axle forward with good success? Any links to a build showing what’s been done?
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 9:53pm
Sure. I've done it. 

But just keep in mind that it near always requires steering modifications or even a complete steering redesign. 

What are you looking to do? What are you starting with and what is your end game? If we know a bit more, there are plenty of mod savvy guys here to help. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 10:47pm
I've a few questions, how far, why?
john
brushtrooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 1:03am
I plan on swapping in a mercedes OM616 and from what i have read there is a clearance issue with diff and oil pan. I know i can modify the pan some and i want to move the diff forward as much as possible with out having to get into hydro steering. I would like some options on how to move it and how much it can be moved.My end goal is to run 34” x 9.50’s and have decent articulation when we go to ORV parks playing around. 

Edited by brushtrooper - 08 Apr. 2021 at 1:07am
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 1:17am
It's up to you, tape measre and welder. Just about anything can be adapted.
john

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Sure. I've done it. 

But just keep in mind that it near always requires steering modifications or even a complete steering redesign. 

What are you looking to do? What are you starting with and what is your end game? If we know a bit more, there are plenty of mod savvy guys here to help. 

Do you have any pics or links to the rock crawler in your signature?
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 1:57am
Originally posted by brushtrooper brushtrooper wrote:

Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Sure. I've done it. 

Do you have any pics or links to the rock crawler in your signature?

You can see some build stuff here: 

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/east-coast-willys-story.1088451/

I haven't updated it much in recent years. But you can get the idea. 

Here's and old pic - but it's one of my favorites. It's now on King coilovers all the way around. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 5:27pm
Rear length springs up front will move the front axle forward close to 3" in the stock hanger. It works great for helping to clear a larger tire and giving more clearance on the engine. You will have to build a shackle hanger on the front of the bumper or extend the frame a little bit.

Rear length springs are actually much softer rate than front springs and ride better. The longer spring also allows more axle articulation and vertical travel. I have no problems using a 9-10" travel shock in front.

Both of these are built that way, mine is on the right with a custom 2x4 box frame, the one of the left is a stock based frame.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 1:15am
Has anyone used a Samurai frame with success? From what I have read it seems there is figment issue on the rear. It looks the front will work good with the CJ2 body. I hate to butcher the original frame doing this mercedes swap. I want to use the OM616 and auto tranny and I think the Zuk divorced tcase setup would work good. Any thoughts?
 MetcalfI love the stance of those 2 Jeeps, looks good/tough

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Rear length springs up front will move the front axle forward close to 3" in the stock hanger. It works great for helping to clear a larger tire and giving more clearance on the engine. You will have to build a shackle hanger on the front of the bumper or extend the frame a little bit.

Rear length springs are actually much softer rate than front springs and ride better. The longer spring also allows more axle articulation and vertical travel. I have no problems using a 9-10" travel shock in front.

Both of these are built that way, mine is on the right with a custom 2x4 box frame, the one of the left is a stock based 

So you used stock rear springs all the way around? What size tires are on those? Do you have any drawings on the custom frame?
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by brushtrooper brushtrooper wrote:

So you used stock rear springs all the way around? What size tires are on those? Do you have any drawings on the custom frame?

The one of the left has stock rear springs ( with relocated rear hanger and some longer shackles )
Mine on the right has custom rear length springs I designed built by Deaver.

Both are running a 35" tire

150 pages of detail here for my flatty build, including the frame.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/rango-1942-willys-mb.1000503/

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Post Reply Post Reply