Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel pump
    Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 2:02am
Greetings CJ2A's. I'm replacing the fuel pump on my 46. It' only with a herculean effort that I'm able to pump the arm. Is this correct ? The old pump could be pumped with way less effort. Thanks for your replies. Gary
gostby
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 7:03am
IME, Yes the new pumps need a lot more effort to move the lever.
gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 10:26pm
cpt logger. Thanks for the reply. I feel better now about the pump. Gary
gostby
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 11:43pm
I've installed them with and without the spacer, they worked. The one thing I found on one motor was that the ecentric on the cam was worn out, barely worked the arm.
john
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 1:54am
For what it's worth, I just tonight replaced the regular pump with a hand primer pump. The arm was a little stiff but didn't seem excessively hard. And the priming handle brought fuel up to the carb in about 3 pumps, although I'm hoping the new pump will solve my leakdown issue.
Edit

Edited by 48walker - 06 Apr. 2021 at 3:11am
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 2:09am
I tried to find a  pump with a lever on it to prime, couldn't find one.
john
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 3:13am
Had to check a few sellers, found one from Classic Military Vehicles. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 4:18pm
I have also seen them listed on the QTM site. 

I would rather rebuild the original pumps than use the ones available today, but I haven't tried the ones with the priming lever.

I suspect the leak down issue often is due to the check valve in the pump not doing the job, and most of them leak.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 9:02pm
I agree about the check valve, that's what made me decide to buy a new pump. Spent a little extra for the priming handle in case I still get the leakdown with the new pump.
Which I do. But I also noticed today my vented gas cap doesn't seem to be venting-big gush of air and a pop from the tank when I took the cap off. So I'm wondering if maybe the vacuum in the tank might also be contributing to the leakdown. Maybe I need to 'clean out' the gas cap vent, somehow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 10:44pm
Yes.

If the fuel cap is plugged, the tank will have a vacuum on it after you drive the Jeep for a while. This vacuum can become so severe that the engine will die. If this happens, the CJ will act like it is running out of gas, because it is.

Your cap is mostly plugged, or your fuel cap gasket is not sealing completely & when you shut off your Jeep the tank has a vacuum, or a negative pressure to be correct. If your check valves are not perfectly sealing, (most do not), the tank vacuum will pull fuel back into the tank.
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 11:19pm
Yep, I think the gas cap vent is not working, and that's at least contributing to the leakdown. Too bad, that cap sealed tight, no leaking. Guess I need to scrounge up a replacement.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 11:33pm
Let's us say, I have never seen a tank cap that actually seals, venting is not a problem. If the valve is frozen, bounce it off the concrete. Yeah, I know, that didn't work on an old cell phone either but  it felt good.
john
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 11:47pm
Maybe I'll run it a while to let some pressure build and rap it with a hammer. I'll wait until the wife is watching, might be good for a laugh if nothing else
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 12:03am
I don't throw tools either, (you have to go find them). Sometimes, something needs a good bashing.
john

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 12:53am
I would try soaking it in solvent. Then after a day or two, I would clean it with a soft bristled brush. Amazingly, this has worked well for me.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 1:10am
A friend in high  school pulled the clock out of Opal Cadet and  threw it in  the solvent tank, um, worked after?
john
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 4:35am
I bought a NEW gas cap from Kaiser-Willys. 
After driving and pulling into refuel, when removing the cap, I get the big swoosh of air rushing into the tank. I didn’t think that was right. It does concern me if it creates enough vacuum, starves for fuel and she stops running.
Why would K-W be selling non vented caps for old Willys?
Guess I’ll head to my trusted NAPA friends and see what they have.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 5:30pm
Just to be the first to ask, ADA-OMIX?

I use NAPA quite a bit. I find that they often have the part(s) in stock, & the part(s) works as it/they should. NAPA may be a bit more expensive, but for me, working as it should counts for a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>