Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 Arctic Top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38 Arctic Top
    Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 2:03am
A buddy of mine caught the Willy's bug and bought this Jeep.  It comes with an arctic top. He's not in love with the top, and like most of us he has to watch the bottom line.  Is this something with value?  I told him I was trying to find a home for an aluminum hard top, but it's still out under the Cherry tree in my back yard.

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 3:19am
  It seems to me that any hard top in good shape is worth a bit, maybe $400-$500, IF you can find a buyer. Buyers seem to be scarcer than the tops. This one looks like it might be in decent shape, but it's missing part of it - the Arctic Top windshield. It looks like the original M38/CJ3A windshield has been modified to work with the top. Oh that's good, no that's bad. If he takes the top off he won't have to hunt up a proper windshield, but the top will be left incomplete, making it harder to sell. If I were a buyer for this jeep, I would offer what it would be worth to me without the top. Explain to the seller that the top is incomplete, nobody's gonna want it that way, and I don't want it either.
BW

Edit to add: Oh, I see he's already bought the jeep. Well, now you know how I feel about the value of the top. I just sold one with its windshield but no glass at all, in fair shape otherwise, for $100 and was glad to get it. It had lain around here for years and was going for scrap aluminum if the buyer hadn't taken it.
BW

Edited by Bruce W - 08 Apr. 2021 at 3:24am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 3:27am
As far as i know, Its the same windshield but adjusted to work with the top.
john
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 3:29am
  That one appears to be; The correct M38 Arctic Top windshield is not.
BW

Edited by Bruce W - 08 Apr. 2021 at 3:30am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 3:40am
It was an intersting battle to get the seal too work on the bottom of the windshield.
john
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 2:22pm
I'm casually looking for an Artic Top, but I'm all the way in western CT.  Long drive...
Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
BlueBaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2021 at 3:30pm
I like mine. Its always on. I just take the doors off in the summer.
I think I paid maybe $200 for it complete with the right windshield frame and doors.
-Dave
CJ-3A 1953
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 12:24am
If it is your daily driver in the winter, it's near priceless.
If you are trying to see all around you in a tight situation, it's worse than useless.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2021 at 1:02am
Pittsburgh eh? Any chance it could find its way to Kempton for the Willy's picnic? I'd buy at $200 without windshield. Like to see a few more pics first.
 Post Reply Post Reply