Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat foam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schoolbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat foam
    Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 11:41pm
What type and thickness of seat foam have folks here had good luck with?

It’s been 9 years in the works and I’m finally down to wiring and upholstery.

Thanks,
Shaun
Schoolbuilder
New Ashford, MA
'46 CJ2A #17033
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 12:17am
I tried layering different foams for my seats. Yoga mat on the outside and "high density" in the middle. The high density really wasn't that great- I got it from a fabric store. Suggest a upholstery shop for foam; there is a whole world of foams out there.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 1:54am
Suddenly i'm hankerin for a key lime ice cream sammich..Wacko
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
schoolbuilder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schoolbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:21pm
Yumm!Clap
Schoolbuilder
New Ashford, MA
'46 CJ2A #17033
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:14pm
I tried several combinations with little comfort, ordered a foam kit from beechwood canvas and have been happy ever since! 👍🏿

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 4:04pm
I too used Beachwood foam and premade seat covers for all three CJ2A seats in my resto. Fit perfect and have held up many years. Replaced the shot seat springs and horsehair pad. 
schoolbuilder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schoolbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 12:05am
I appreciate the feedback on your experiences, guys.  Anyone have experience with seats by Newlife Canvas?
Schoolbuilder
New Ashford, MA
'46 CJ2A #17033
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 12:32am
Originally posted by schoolbuilder schoolbuilder wrote:

I appreciate the feedback on your experiences, guys.  Anyone have experience with seats by Newlife Canvas?

Are you new to jeep forums Good quality on seat covers.... Unless there has been a change there, plan on a forever wait and little customer service, MHO.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 1:04am
Has anyone tried the seat foam from Walcks?  I wonder how good there seat foam is? 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 1:21am
Yep ! I ordered from Mona at NewLife and it took awhile. Although the covers look and fit very nice. I believe Jpet was instrumental in helping her tweak in some of her patterns although that may have only been on the soft tops. A few years a a few thousand miles I pulled my covers off and added some yoga matting on top of the foam. Then put batting on top of that. 
Bcamp46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bcamp46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2021 at 9:17pm
How expensive was the seat and how do you attach it to your frame
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2021 at 6:49pm
I used seat foam from an old couch and used an electric carving knife to cut it. I made them all oversized and got them in the covers using the shop vac trick. The oversizing helps fill the covers and push out wrinkles. 
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2021 at 8:11pm
I have bought canvas covers from ODCLOTH.COM for several Jeeps. On the first one I found cushions for outdoor furniture on sale at Lowes at the end of Summer which were a near perfect fit. I don't have that Jeep any longer or I would take a picture. 

I have a set of good springs for my CJ2A seats, and the covers from OD, but haven't put them together yet.

I also have a set of their covers for my MB seats, for which I will use foam with some batting on top.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply