Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Earth Jeep Model

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal Earth Jeep Model
    Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 1:53am
I wanted to share an experience with the team here.  My wife had bought a couple of flat pack metal models a few months ago that go by the brand name, “Metal Earth”.  They are super highly detailed and look to be laser or water cut from something like .05 stainless.  My experience is currently limited to (and likely to stay that way) the Willy’s model. 

I will say that this is a gift for someone that you secretly don’t like.  The best way to utilize it would be to publicly gift it to them and then pressure them to produce the finished product.  It is nearly impossible to build these models.  I am not exaggerating when I say you need to fold pieces that are less than 2mm.  I am using 3 different types of tweezers.  The metal locking tabs that fold are so tiny that their rigidity is greater than that of other sections with larger surface area.  This results in one crushing or warping pieces while attempting to bend the microscopic tabs.  The attention to detail one must maintain is that of fusing an early nuclear device where the slightest tremble may result in having oneself evenly spread over much of the earth, as the instructions are only very crude drawings.  All of the curved surfaces like tires and the hood must be bent, as I previously stated this is a flat pack model.  The end state of this exercise is a quiet mania, very tired hands and eyes, and bruised pride. 
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 2:06am
We're gonna need photos.....

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 12:19pm
I've seen those at Hobby Lobby....it  would seem to be an exercise in frustration. I agree with your assessment. LOL
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 12:57pm
I did a dragon one, from this company, for my daughter. Used up all my patience and eye sight for the year. Had to use cheater glasses and small needle nose pliers, and good lighting.  Very fragile when it was done.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 1:30pm
I've had one in sitting on my shelf for years now. Just never got around to putting it together. Thanks for  the review. I think I'll work on the real thing instead Big smile
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 1:33pm
I wonder if they leak oil?
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
 Post Reply Post Reply