Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just got one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just got one
    Posted: 07 May 2021 at 6:22pm
Just got my first jeep from my grandpa hasn’t ran in over 20 years any advice on getting started will be greatly appreciated. My plan so far is to see if I can turn the engine by hand if so drain everything put fresh in and see if see will run. I am open to all advice I know very little about these machines 
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:26pm
Welcome to the madness Danny. I think you are on track, if it turns over change engine oil & filter and I would also drain the transmission oil.  Use GL1 in it. if it was sitting outside the rain water will run down the shifter cane and fill the trans. with water and rust all your gears and bearings. you can just pour a little gas down the carb and if it fires then you will probably need to remove the carb and rebuild it. good luck and let us know how it goes. post some pictures so we can see her. 
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
drhodes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:28pm
Thanks for the advice soon as I get back home I’ll post some before pictures thanks again
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:11pm
Congrats.   Post some pics of engine, etc.   carb open to the elements?  Spark plugs removable?
Mike in AZ
drhodes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:12pm
Will post pics in about a week or so I work out of state only had time to pick it up last time I was home
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:36pm
A jeepin buddy of mine once said " you do have the service manual don't you?"

Edited by muley - 07 May 2021 at 9:37pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:05am
as said above i would drain the oil. Then buy a quart of Marvel Mystery oil and pour the whole quart down the spark plugs holes in evenly. let it sit for a couple of days.
get a 1/2 drive ratchet long extension and a 1 3/8 socket put it on the lower crankshaft nut and start rotating. don't expect to get it to rotate to much unless you are lucky. inch by inch.
as you have time drain all fluids .
the above service manual is a good one go find it.
just general advice, the more you modify the Jeep from original  the more you are subtracting vales
of the Jeep. best of luck

gearwrencher
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:42pm
X2 on the Marvel Mystery Oil. That stuff works wonders.

I just got a 67 CJ5 going again that had sat in a barn since 1979. 

When I got it home the engine was stuck. First thing I did was divide a bottle of Marvel Oil poured into each cylinder. I let it sit two weeks, and then put a wrench on it and it moved a little. Let it sit a few more days and it moved some more. Another few days and it would turn all the way over with the wrench. 

While the Jeep was soaking up the Marvel I put a kit in the carburetor.

I went out every day and turned it with the wrench until it turned over freely. Then, with the plugs out I tried turning it over with the starter for the first time and it spun over real good pumping out a lot of the excess Marvel oil.

Then I drained the crankcase and refilled with a mixture of 30 wt and another bottle of Marvel.

I installed new plugs and the carburetor. Hooked up a boat gas tank the the carb and tried to start it. 

It spun over good but would not fire.

So I installed a new set of points, condenser,  rotor and cap. Then it showed signs of life.

Within a half hour I had it where it would run smooth at idle, and boy did that ole gal smoke, mostly burning off the Marvel oil.

For a couple weeks I went out and ran it for about 30 minutes at a time. Each day I did this the smoking would be less. 

It now runs very good and no longer smokes a bit.

I am lucky with this one as it only has 33K miles on it. The previous owner's son said the Jeep was parked due to using oil. I think the only thing wrong with it was the oil rings were stuck due to carbon build up. The Marvel Oil does a good job dissolving the carbon and I have used it for years on engines thought to be in need of a rebuild. It will work wonders. 

However I have started many simply by taking the top off the carb, spraying some carb cleaner around, cleaning the points and hooking up a boat gas tank to avoid the old gas and crud in the fuel system. You do not want old gas spraying around, so you want to disconnect the fuel line to the pump. 

A Jeep that has sat a long time will likely need a new gas tank, but if you are lucky the old tank can sometimes be cleaned out.

Last year I cleaned the tank on my 47 using "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner and water. The tank cleaned up nicely but the cleaner dissolved all the rust and left pin holes in the bottom of the tank where it was about to rust through. After that I just replace the tank, lines, fuel pump, and do a carburetor rebuild to get it to run right as SOP.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:24pm
yep - yep- yep-
listen to your Oldpappy!
couldn't resist.
 ha
gearwrencher
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 5:54pm
As the cylinders on the Flathead 4-cylinder are not below the spark plug holes, you need to use a tube or something similar to get the MMO to the cylinders
Mike in AZ
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:08pm
Doesn't hurt anything if some of it gets on the valve heads might even be good if it does. Pouring it into the plug hole will get it into the cylinders. Where else could it go? 
drhodes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:23pm
Man you guys have given me some great information I really appreciate it. I’ll have some pics to post on Wednesday. Thank you all for being so welcoming.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Doesn't hurt anything if some of it gets on the valve heads might even be good if it does. Pouring it into the plug hole will get it into the cylinders. Where else could it go? 

Into the intake or exhaust manifold. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:00pm
Bruce of course is right. I didn't think about that. It will get into the manifolds on the open valves and will smoke like crazy on first fire up, but on the other hand the valve guides may get a little dose of the MMO.

I suppose it would be better to use a hose to get past the valve chambers.

The one I was using it on was an F head, so a bit different situation. 
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:49pm
Tagged for Marvel Mystery Oil.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:55am
Just because you get it turning over doesnt mean you will have enough compression for it to fire up. My 46 was frozen up and I got it rotating but a couple of valves were stuck in the guides and I had zero compression after spinning it over with the plugs out using a gauge. Ended up removing the head to get the valve stems freed up. Turns out the rings were stuck in the pistons and had to be removed... I did an in frame rering to get it running. 

Edited by jeeper50 - 09 May 2021 at 9:00am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:29am
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

A jeepin buddy of mine once said " you do have the service manual don't you?" 

For my contribution you can download a copy from my webpage: http://48cj2a.com/images/manuals/UniversalServiceManualForJeepVehicles.pdf
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:32pm
Once!!?? LOL

I luv it. It’s like my pet peeve.... you do have and know how to use a multimeter ( a jukebox, local slang) don’t you.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>