Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preserving History or Lunacy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 4:59pm
That's tremendous! As long as the case is good, you can replace the internals. (After a long search, I was finally able to track down a transmission and transfer case in the approximately correct date range for #CJ2A 11662.) 

How about the transfer case and engine? 
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 6:08pm
I saw that one, with the CL listing linked to eWillys.com.  I was really tempted, but it was too far away from me (and i am trying to get out of the habit of bringing home orphaned metal tidbits).  The basics are there, and the rest can be located.  Going through a more complete but similarly neglected example doesn’t cost much less in time and money, in the end, in my opinion.

If you are going to deal with having to get a title, make it a worthwhile early VIN, is what I would aim for.

These are all vintage fun toys, so lunacy is in the eye of the beholder.  Less lunacy, and a lot of pride well earned, in building it back to a working example, than it is tearing it apart and leaving the parts in a pile, as the PO did.
Todd Paisley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 6:53pm
Could you take a photo a little lower on the transmission?  I am interested in seeing what the yoke ends of the shift linkage looks like.  Thanks!
Todd Paisley

1941 MB-100063 - MB Factory Test Mule
1942 MB-123136 - Earliest Documented "Civilian" Test Jeep
1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A
MSG Keane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:25pm
MSG Keane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:27pm
It looks to be the original transfer case J678, which seems to sync up with other 45s on the data page. It is free and shifts. I don’t believe it is the original motor. It has the vertical line on the timing cover, which I think is a gear drive indicator.
MSG Keane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:30pm
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:33pm
Wow.  IMO, that’s a real nice find.  I think a good price too. 

That project is beyond my ability, but there’s certainly folks who would n could take it on.  Given the low serial number it’s a worthy candidate for restoration.  

Try to give updates as things develop. 

Thanks for sharing. 
chris

2A #13396
MSG Keane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:37pm
I have a few options with these early parts. I don’t believe there is enough left to build a Jeep from. If I did, 70% would be not original. I am in the process of restoring an early 46 VEC. It does not have the original motor, but is still column shift, has indents and the original square washer windshield. I’ve thought of adding the float rearend and this earlier windshield. It would be a VEC, with most of the early items that make VECs interesting. On the other hand, it would not be original. My 46 is already a bit of a salad, with a SuperSonic engine now. Any thoughts?
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 8:48pm
It's not just a VEC, it's a low numbers VEC.
That alone should make worth restoring. Aside from rebuilding what you do have the biggest challenge would be finding an early tub.
I imagine the closest you can get would be splicing a left panel from the remains of an MB onto a 2A tub to get the indents.
1946 CJ2A 14098
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 8:52pm
X2 on what Bill said. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 11:16pm
Does it have a dash and cowl?  If your '46 has the tool slots, why not just put that tub on this?
Todd Paisley

1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A
MSG Keane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG Keane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 11:54pm
I love that there are so many on the side of saving this. It makes me cringe when new members on this sight want to turn nice original Jeeps into rock crawlers. I really only have a rolling chassis with a transmission and transfer case. There is no title, no tub, no seats, even the headlight buckets are missing. The non original engine is toast. This would be quite a project for a millionaire. I count 49 1945 Jeeps on the data page of this blog. I imagine there are probably three times that many in existence. For now, it will go into the barn. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 1:51am
Originally posted by MSG Keane MSG Keane wrote:

Transmission appears to be original. Dated 4-5-45. Unfortunately pretty rusty inside. Thanks for the support from everyone. It seems I’m not as crazy as I thought. 

Bolding mine.

Don't let these nuts tell you that you are sane. Keep in mind that just because a bunch of us Jeep nuts would have done the same thing, that does not make it a sane move. It just means that we are all crazy with the same mental illness that you have.

Heck, just last week I bought a Jeepster rolling chassis. It has a seized lightning six engine, the three on the tree with overdrive and both axles. No body, title, nor radiator. On a quick look the frame is good. The owner was going to scrap it. I could not let that happen.

The week before I bought an old Towmotor forklift for the same reason. Now I need to find a buyer for both of these machines. Yes, I am certifiable!

Thus, my vote is both lunacy & saving history.

Hang in there I am pulling for you, Cpt Logger.

PS. Good show with this VECJ.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 6:26pm
It wouldn't take a millionaire to fix this.  You can find tubs.  I saw one for $400 not that long ago.  Seats are out there.  Headlight assemblies are easy to find.  Unless the block is cracked, it is savable.  There are ways to get titles.  Depending on your income, it may take awhile.  But this is some kind of "Manhattan Project".  It is a Jeep with some missing parts!
Todd Paisley

1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12