Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I Think I Done Fd Up AAron...(Think I Got It Now)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Think I Done Fd Up AAron...(Think I Got It Now)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Think I Done Fd Up AAron...(Think I Got It Now)
    Posted: 11 June 2021 at 11:40pm
No sugar coating, because I'm at wits end...

Additional disclaimer...I'm fairly new to 6v and old L head 4 bangers...still trying to learn.

So, my 48 was running GREAT...but found out (too late) that my idle advance flyweights were stuck so it was falling off at higher RPMs.

I initially thought carb (see above...I'm new and dumb)...and sent that in for professional rebuild.  Then I thought distributor.  I was right, but bought a new one after I messed up the old one after I free'd the flyweights (no power going in after I tore it apart and put back together...still trying to figure that out).

Found out after I pulled the old distributor that was pointing to TDC #1 that the new distributor said "NOPE!" and fit 180 degrees out...grrrr.  Fitted slot only goes in one way...old one said "I don't care".

Brain farts, setting wires to where they should be (old distributor...didn't think) and cranking to no avail...until I realized the rotor was 180...then readjusted by setting plug wires to what I thought were correct (1342) at rotor clockwise...ughhh...

When I realized rotor was counter clockwise and reset the plug wires (3 and 4) to where they're supposed to be...cranked a few times and the starter slowed down...and then nope.

First thoughts, battery is toast/weak.  Charged and showed 6.34v...but starters said "yawn...nope".  Checked starter...no spin with a jump.  Pulled starter....engine said no spin with a ratchet on the crank pulley...f'n engine is seized?!?

I can't turn the engine by hand like I could just a day or two ago.  It's locked up hard.  Starter worked fine on bench test...but not when still installed. 

Now, study what I said above...

Is there a simple answer/fix...or did I possibly break hard?

I'm thinking battery cells toast...bought a new battery.  Installed...hit starter...nothing.  Tried jumping the starter....lots of sparks...no turn. Old battery is still good...grrr.

Decided to try to see if the engine would turn on the crankshaft pulley with a ratchet.  STUCK!

Removed the starter...no spin.

Removed spark plugs (pressure relief?)...no spin.

Without going balls deep and opening the engine for now...do you gurus think I broke something, or might it be something simple I'm not thinking of? 

Trust me, I can take whatever you say...because I'm half tempted to throw in the towel if I don't get this figured out.  Not really, that's drunk me talking...lol.

Edited by JayBob - 13 June 2021 at 12:29am
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 9:47am
The biggest problem you have right now is the inability to turn the engine over. That thing should turn easily. Something is amiss in the block. You can take the valve cover off and check your springs and keepers and valves. Beyond that you’ll be getting in deeper....taking the head off and checking the cylinders and pistons...is there maybe a broken ring...
IDK. The good news is at least the carb, starter, battery, distributor and other components are all good.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 10:03am
Starter out. Plugs out. Transmission in neutral. Can’t turn engine with wrench?  Remove distributor and try again
Mike in AZ
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 3:16pm
I hope you can fix your engine. The thread title made me laugh, AAron.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 5:23pm
Before you get too carried away, try turning the engine backwards with a pry bar through the starter hole. Pry on the starter ring gear. If you try to turn it backwards with a wrench, you will back off the pulley bolt.

Something like a bolt or a nut may be wedged between the flywheel & the bell housing. Turning the engine backwards will often dislodge such debris.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 5:54pm
"Found out after I pulled the old distributor that was pointing to TDC #1 that the new distributor said "NOPE!" and fit 180 degrees out...grrrr.  Fitted slot only goes in one way...old one said "I don't care".

The above statement doesn't make sense to me.

Whether a new or old distributor they can only go in one way because the slot is offset. It is not possible to install the distributor 180 degrees off unless it is some aftermarket POS with the plate on backwards. I have encountered an older electronic distributor from China that was made that way.

First thing to do is stop replacing parts based on guessing.

If it was running before you started working on it, then it was not locked up before you started working on it. 

The only part you have changed that has any mechanical connection that could possibly impact engine rotation is the  distributor, so I agree with the above suggestion from Michaeltru.

Remove the distributor and see if the engine will turn. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 7:18pm
Its also possible he dropped something down a plug hole. Though that would only prevent a complete rotation it could still be rocked back and forth.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 12:28am
Anybody follow Vice Grip Garage on YouTube?  I watched an episode tonight and learned a valuable lesson.

Only use brake cleaner as starting fluid as a last resort.

I've been using it for years, but usually everything fired right up.  I'm guessing that while I was spraying it in the carb, and it wasn't firing while I was cranking, I probably cleaned all the oil off of the pistons and she slowly seized up while I was cranking.  The guy on Vice Grip Garage actually used 2 cycle oil mixed with gas that he sprays into the carb to start the old cars that sat for years and he explained what I mentioned above...lol.

Last night I sprayed some PB Blaster down the plug holes, and today added some Marvel Oil.  Engine freed up tonight when I used the ratchet on the crank pulley.  Rotated it two or three full revolutions and it feels good again.

Jay
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 12:55am
WOW I have only ever used gasoline as a primer. And then as soon as the carb bowl is full the choke or a couple pumps of the throttle.

I would have never though to use Brake cleaner as a primer.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 11:40am
I would have never thought to use brake cleaner as a primer.  Just because it's flammable, doesn't mean it's a good idea to spray into an engine.  I do have a can of Starting Fluid (50% Ether) that I've used once or twice (can states it has lubricant in it).  I found out it wouldn't work if the distributor is 180 out.

Your steps to resolve this was pretty good.  Glad you got your engine turning again.  

Have you actually gotten the engine to fire and run under its own power yet?  
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 12:30pm
  I’m with Mark and Rus, I never would have thought of using brake cleaner as a starting fluid. I have used choke cleaner but don’t like to use it or ether, or even very much gasoline, as all of them will wash the cylinder walls down and dry the rings. 
  On top of this is the fact that brake cleaner, when burned, creates phosgene (sp?) gas, a deadly poison. It’s one of the gases used against troops during the First World War. Do you want that inside your garage / home?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 7:25am
So what do you think the problem was? Starter bind or dust.bind?
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 10:38am
FWIW ..... I've used a few blasts WD-40 as a "Starter Fluid" and it was helpful.  And it has, at least, mild lubricating properties as well for the cylinder walls.  And since it is ubiquitous you never have to look hard to find some when you need it.
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
 Post Reply Post Reply