Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shock absorbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76291 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shock absorbers
    Posted: 18 June 2021 at 3:32pm
Any recommendation for the front of a 2a?  Springs are old but not terrible.  Looking for a little more support for the time being.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 6:13pm
Shocks don't support anything. They dampen the movement of the vehicle. If you need more support you will have to work on the springs.

Walck's has very good front springs for sale and I recommend that you invest in the spring bolts also because they are almost always worn out.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

76291 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76291 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2021 at 6:42pm
What I meant to say was a little more dampening than my wore out ones.  Yes, springs are coming but not now.

[edit] You know, after looking and doing math, I just might go for the 4 spring kit.

Edited by 76291 - 18 June 2021 at 7:17pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2021 at 6:27am
FWIW, I installed Walck's complete suspension kit last year. I'm very happy with it. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2021 at 7:17am
I’ve had excellent luck with KYB shocks on my 2A, Rock Auto has them as well.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 10:09pm
Hi all Flat-Fender lovers .....

I'll just put this out there again, hoping somebody will benefit?
I believe many people think a "shock is a shock".  Nope.

Our flat fenders are too light and not coil sprung, so the wrong shock absorber for us is "Nitrogen Gas Filled".

The standard NAPA shock and others are "Nitrogen Gas Filled" and they are way, way, WAY too stiff on the compression stroke for our jeeps.  If it has a plastic strap holding it together in the box and expands when the band is taken off, it is gas charged.

Check the part sellers for MB/GPW and others for "non gas charged" "double action hydraulic" shocks.  Note: some major vintage parts vendors sell gas filled shocks! Thumbs Down

I cant emphasize enough how much difference an "Old School" non-Gas Charged shock will make on our Flat-Fender Jeeps!

Your jeep does not have to ride rough or harsh!

Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 11:06pm
I have NAPA shocks on Chug which has CJ5 suspension with 1" longer shackles. And my wife commented on how nice the ride was. So not sure what your talking about.

Edited by Mark W. - 26 June 2021 at 12:29am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I have NAPA shocks on Chug which has CJ5 suspension with 1" longer shackles. And my wife comme ted how nice the ride was. So not sure what ypur talking about.

Mark I agree. Myself, my dad, and a few friends are all running Bilsteins(which is a charged shock) after testing them on my dads. Night and day difference in ride, very smooth and comfortable through choppy dirt roads and rougher forest roads.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by 43 Flat-Fender 43 Flat-Fender wrote:

Hi all Flat-Fender lovers .....

I'll just put this out there again, hoping somebody will benefit?
I believe many people think a "shock is a shock".  Nope.

Our flat fenders are too light and not coil sprung, so the wrong shock absorber for us is "Nitrogen Gas Filled".

The standard NAPA shock and others are "Nitrogen Gas Filled" and they are way, way, WAY too stiff on the compression stroke for our jeeps.  If it has a plastic strap holding it together in the box and expands when the band is taken off, it is gas charged.

Check the part sellers for MB/GPW and others for "non gas charged" "double action hydraulic" shocks.  Note: some major vintage parts vendors sell gas filled shocks! Thumbs Down

I cant emphasize enough how much difference an "Old School" non-Gas Charged shock will make on our Flat-Fender Jeeps!

Your jeep does not have to ride rough or harsh!

I Disagree, I’ve tried both, It depends on what nitrogen charged shock you use,.... Nitrogen for me 👍🏿

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 11:16am
I think what shocks will work best on any specific Willys is dependent on the springs-how worn or modified, other modifications to shackles and hangers, the operating weight of the rig, and probably the most important, the use of the rig.  One size most definitely doesn't fit all even if the dimensions were correct.

Gas filled shocks can have a place.  I used them for decades on the rear of my 3B.  In its latest rendition, it received Bilstein B8 5165's with the 170/60 soft valving but it also received a rather stout disconnectable front sway bar to go with those.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 12:41pm
And based on the responses so far ..... is why I have hesitated to post my experience with Gas Filled shocks.  Nuke

For me, with a bone stock MB/GPW, original springs and no mods, the very clear winner is Non-gas charged, like the original suspension was designed.

Going over bumps and imperfections in the road feels rubbery, compliant and soft, definitely not jarring or harsh the way the over the counter Gas filled shocks make it feel.

I actually feel kind of bad for folks with stock setups and that have never tried "old school" plain hydraulic shocks.  They'll never know how smooth the suspension on these old jeeps can be!  Cry

This is the way a major manufacture describes the difference.  I agree with their assessment.

Rob
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 5:14pm
Could it be that the gas charged shocks you picked maybe were just a bad choice in valving or brand for your application?

Seems satisfactory to a lot of folks.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:35pm
Hey Roc,

I suppose that's possible but the "Napa" shocks I'm taking about are the standard bright blue painted rebranded Monroe or Gabriel shocks that they sell.  Invariably those are nitrogen charged shocks.  When I inquired with manufacturers, they freely acknowledge that while the shocks that are currently sold will fit and operate dimensionally correctly that they may not act as the OEM shocks originally did on these vehicles? And that is, because they are nitrogen charged and the original shocks were Not nitrogen charged, but rather dual action hydraulic shocks.

I'm thinking, that part of the problem might be that a lot of folks have aftermarket springs that are simply stiffer to begin with than the originals? So that the nitrogen charge shocks really don't stand out because the springs are already pretty doggone stiff?

The other trick is to lubricate the spring packs regularly! I find that soaking the edges of the spring packs with liquid wrench penetrating oil or PB blaster makes a huge difference in the compliance of the springs because they do slide against one another. If nothing more it greatly reduces the squeaks and moans and groans that happen from the suspension system.

The other thing is don't over tighten the spring shackles!  They need to be backed off at least a half to three quarters of a turn otherwise they bind.

All I can say to the folks who are skeptical is that every flat fender guy who is ridden in my jeep has been impressed with how smooth and refined the suspension feels.  And that's running NDTs with about 25 psi of pressure.

A kid you not, it rides like a short wheelbase cadillac.

Anyway too many miles to go and too many smiles to go. Enjoy your rides guys.

I look forward to meeting you down in Tompkinsville Roc.

Rob
76291 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76291 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:45pm

Hey Roc,

The other trick is to lubricate the spring packs regularly! I find that soaking the edges of the spring packs with liquid wrench penetrating oil or PB blaster makes a huge difference in the compliance of the springs because they do slide against one another. If nothing more it greatly reduces the squeaks and moans and groans that happen from the suspension system.

Not sure about this because this turns your springs into dust/dirt magnets.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:55pm
For my blue jeep that still has the original springs, I bought the cheapest blue Monroe shocks that Rock Auto offered- non gas charged and about $20 ea. It rides really well with them. Not a meaningful comparison to the old ones as they didn't have any oil left in them, but way better.

I guess if you have stock springs, get stock shocks. If you have different/stiffer springs you probably need a little more damping.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:58pm
Uh .... It's a mechanical system, it needs lubrication.

Wipe off the excess. Just put lite bead in between the leaves with the red straw and it will immediately soak in-between.  It actually improves the deflection and compliance of the suspension system.

My Jeep gets dusty!  It's a Jeep! 
Rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 7:01pm
Otto,

What are the part numbers for the shocks!
I honestly did not know Monroe made non-gas charged shocks that would fit our application. Clap

Rob
76291 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76291 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 7:07pm

My Jeep gets dusty!  It's a Jeep! 

Well I understand that but thats not wh....oh, never mind.  ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>