Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Half Doors for a Flattie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Half Doors for a Flattie
    Posted: 21 July 2021 at 8:15am
Try to make half doors from a set of full doors, Does anybody have info or pictures of the upper door hinges used on Kayline or Bestop half doors?

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 10:41am
Kayline top

'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 10:43am
This is a full top, maybe the hinges can be modified?
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 12:49pm
That upper hinge is an add-on supplied by the top manufacturers that mimic the original top hinges on the CJ-3B (and I believe also the CJ-3A).

Here  are some links to half door projects that may help:

Pedrosa jeep in Brazil (not much info on frame/hinges but looks like a storage pouch added for the door to attach to.

Steel half door construction.

Multiple ideas on half doors.

On last link, notice Jamie Powers' version where he uses original style frame (incl original style hinges).  If you don't want to attach hinge points to the tub - as most seem to end up doing - the Jamie Powers' idea seems the easiest, IF you already have the hinges and door frame.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Try to make half doors from a set of full doors, Does anybody have info or pictures of the upper door hinges used on Kayline or Bestop half doors?

Fltfndr

I am no help with this question so feel free to ignore this but I am genuinely curious.
What is the draw to half doors? What do they do for you? 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 11:09pm
No problem Stan. Less wind turbulance at hiway speed, less water spray from wet roads, and they look cool!  OK?

Fltfndr

Edited by Fltfndr - 21 July 2021 at 11:10pm
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

No problem Stan. Less wind turbulance at hiway speed, less water spray from wet roads, and they look cool!  OK?

Fltfndr

Definitely OK. “Looking cool” is a legit reason to do stuff, it’s just WAY down MY list of priorities. Those other two reasons would be reasons for me not to have them, at least in the summer. I want more wind and some water spray when it’s triple digits out there.
I am in no way putting down the idea of half doors. Just trying to understand.
Thanks for the response.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply