Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifying the Omix Radiator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifying the Omix Radiator
    Posted: 21 July 2021 at 11:18pm

I have been battling overheating issues since I got my ’47 2A in 2017. The original radiator has been cleaned and repaired once and cleaned out again. I had a lot of rust in the block that required several flushes to get more of the rust out after the radiator was repaired. Even so, I still had problems after a “high speed” run. This usually entailed a few miles at 45-50+ MPH. Upon slowing down, temps would come up to 190-210+ and would have a hard time coming back down to 170-180 prolonged slow driving or sitting at idle. A hot shut down would often result in a boil over. On a recent hot Reno day, I ran her for several miles at 50+ MPH. Initially she was fine, but the temp pegged the gauge at around 250 when I came to a stop and would only come down a couple degrees after sitting at a high idle for several minutes. I thought I was going to kill the engine. Later, I figured that some more rust came loose in the block and plugged the radiator. After another flush of the block and radiator resulted in more rust coming out but there was no improvement in reducing temperatures.

Stan (Grampa’s Jeep) did a nice comparison of the Omix radiator to his original.

Original vs Omix-ADA radiator - The CJ2A Page Forums - Page 1

After Stan’s professional review, I decided to give the Omix a try. The cost was not much more than having the old one cleaned out again. I’m lucky to have a Summit in town making returns easy if I didn’t like it.

The radiator I received did not come with a cap but I was able to use my NOS vintage one from the original radiator. The Omix radiator is aluminum with a steel shroud that bolts to the radiator.

Stan’s review covered all the issues that I observed:

1.       Straight inlet tube.

2.       Non-fixed mounting bolts.

3.       Short overflow pipe.

4.       No provision for side felt.

5.       Oblong shroud.

6.       No ability to use the shroud extension.

I thought I would attempt to correct some of these issues and, at the same time, make the radiator look more like the original.

First, the inlet tube would need to be cut off and a new piece, cut at an angle, in place. Not wanting to potentially void the warrantee and having limited TIG aluminum tube welding experience, I opted not to correct this. It does make the hose a little difficult to attach especially if you use the metal pipe section. (The lower fit fine.)

Second, the mounting bolts are loose. I epoxied them in place since it is impossible to get a wrench I there. When I went to mount it, the bolts would not align with the mounting holes. I had to break the bolts free with a plastic hammer. I think the remaining epoxy did help hold the bolts in place so that I could tighten them down.

Third, the overflow pipe is too short and a long section of rubber hose would not look original. I bought some ¼ soft copper tube, bent it into shape, extended it to well past the bottom of the radiator and painted it black. Since I could not weld/solder the copper to the aluminum, I used a short piece of hose with some shrink tube to hold it together.

Forth, I made side panels to allow for the use of the original felt. I cut two panels 13” x 3” and used my “Bubba approved” press break to make a 90 degree ½”tab. The panel is held in place with the bolts connecting the shroud to the radiator.

The correction of the oblong shroud opening and the inability to use a shroud extension took some work. Using a cardboard and the shroud extension, I made templates for new panels. I then TIG welded them around the perimeter of the shroud. I left the existing metal in place. The shroud extension required the relocation of a couple mounting tabs. I also TIG welded nuts and washers to the inside of the shroud to make assembly and disassembly of the extension easier.

Installation of the radiator was straight forward with just a little issue in connecting the upper hose.

A few things that I learned:

My shroud extension was a little beat up from a previous encounter with the fan. So, getting the opening correct was challenging. I ended up splitting the seam and rewelding it with a slightly larger diameter to get it to fit better. A new shroud would have made the installation better.

I did not remove the old radiator to use as a comparison as I was modifying the Omix. Unfortunately, I have the Jeep parked in the street and could not have it non-operational while I made the modifications. If you look at my comparison photos, the top round portion of the Omix shroud is mounted about 1” higher than the original. There is over and inch of fan clearance at the top but, at the bottom, there is about ¼”. If I have the radiator out again, I will redrill the six shroud mounting holes ½” lower. This should balance out the alignment.

Also, having the old radiator out might have helped me creating a template and getting the shape of the opening a little bit better.

I have only done one test drive so far. Outside air temperature was in the mid 80’s. For my short two mile “high speed” run to and from the gym, the temp remained at 160 and did not go past this on the next two miles when speeds were in the 30-40’s. When I parked after going a few blocks at 25 MPH, she was at 180 and with a fast idle, the temps started to immediately drop. So, hopefully, this radiator keeps the temps down in the hot August days ahead and no more rust breaks loose. 

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 12:26am
Nice job Micah. You went above and beyond with that thing.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 8:34pm
Now that summer is over, I thought I would update this post.

I know a lot of us have distain for Omix parts. I too was reluctant in going with this radiator. I have had zero problems with it so far. It has solved a long standing irritating issue with overheating. In August, with temps in the high 90s to 100, she never got over 180. A few weeks ago, I towed my M-416 half filled with dirt and rocks up into the hills to unload. In four low with a heavy load up hills, the temperature was not an issue. 

So, I cannot think of anything bad to say about this radiator other than the issues that required modification. 

I have to admit that I made one mistake in my modification. I did not realize that the shroud has a right and left side. I thought they were equal but if you look at where the top of the shroud sides meet the rounded portion, it is different side to side. I mistakenly put mine one the wrong way. The next time I have the radiator out, I will rotate the shroud. This should correct my tight fan clearance issue on the right side and may help with the clearance at the bottom. The only bad thing is the shroud extension will be up side down with the seam at the top and the radiator cut out 180 from where it should be. Neither of these should be an issue.

Micah

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 10:45pm
Good job on making it work. I too have issues with rust particles from the block finding their way to the radiator. I fashioned a "sock" from old screen door material in the upper radiator hose and the top tank. It gets cleaned out periodically. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 4:35pm
Well, I figured this would probably happen. I was out today having some fun and hit a bump pretty hard. The fan ate the shroud extension. As soon as I heard it, I knew what happened. I tried to bend it back as much as possible but it still had contact with the fan. Thankfully no damage to the radiator and I was just a mile from the house. Made a terrible racket but got home OK. I just unbolted and cut it out. No other damage except to the edges of the blades. Nothing appears bent.

I figured this might happen since I mounted the shroud 180 degrees off and the clearance was very tight n the passenger side. Maybe someday, I will reinstall a new one and get it in the right position. The radiator has kept the temps down without a problem. So, we will see if I can get through the summer without the extension. 

This is the second time this has happened. The first was with the stock radiator. I'm surprised that there is this much movement. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Micah

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:07pm
You might check your motor mounts and the "stay cable" from your crossmember to your bell housing. Anything not totally up to snuff there can let the engine move around.  The reproduction motor mounts available these days don't hold up too well. i have finally switched to the mounts Ian makes at Bigwillyjeepcom.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:19pm
Thanks Stan. If I remember correctly, didn't you eat one of them as well? 

I'll take a look. I replaced all the mounts a couple years ago, but as you said, they may be junk. The cable was good when I replaced the clutch a couple years ago. Maybe it has loosened up. I'll check that too. 

What is the major difference with the new mounts you have? 

Micah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 2:26pm
Stan,
Thanks for the tip. I should have looked before I asked about the differences. I ordered a set. Hopefully, that will keep me from eating shroud extensions in the future. Any issues with installing them?

Micah

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Stan,
Thanks for the tip. I should have looked before I asked about the differences. I ordered a set. Hopefully, that will keep me from eating shroud extensions in the future. Any issues with installing them?

Micah

Micah,
Changing motor mounts is pretty easy. Undue the 3 nuts on each mount. Put a piece of wood on your floor Jack and slip it under the oil pan. Jack up the motor until the mounts will slip out. I found that if you tip them a little they come out easier. New ones go in the reverse process. Might have to watch the fan to make sure it doesn’t bind up on the radiator shroud as you’re jacking.
Less than 1/2 hour job.

This guy goes through the process and shows the Big Willy mounts. And I like listening to his accent.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 8:52am
What accent?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 10:40am
yeah, I didn't notice any accent either.....
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 2:00pm
Yep definitely an accent, I heard it Stan Smile

Thanks for sharing the radiator review and work, Micah.

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 08 May 2022 at 2:02pm
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 9:29pm
Stan,
Thanks for the link. I replaced the mounts a couple years ago. They may have been junk ones too. So, maybe this will keep the engine in place. Did you notice any more vibration?

Micah

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 10:31pm
There might be a little bit more vibration, but not enough to bug me. The added strength is worth it to me.  You milage may vary.

Re: accents.
As a student of history and a little bit if a language guy (my specialty in the military) I love regional takes on our shared language. Reminds me that all the different people in our country make for a wonderful and delightful (can a Jeep guy use that word?) mixture.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply