Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinning lug bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinning lug bolts
    Posted: 24 July 2021 at 10:17am
Looking for some idea help on how to remove some wheels I’m trying to salvage when nearly all the lug bolts are spinning?  Nuts are frozen to the lug bolt, but the bolt is spinning where it would be pressed into the drum from the backside.  

I’m afraid if I take a torch to them, it may gouge the wheel.
Craig1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 10:19am
Not sure it matters, but the rear axle is an offset Dana 44 from a later CJ, the front is a Dana 27
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 10:48am
Can you pull the hub/drum assemblies and work from the back to secure the stud.
BOULDER 48 2A
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 3:37pm
Not that it matters once the bolt is spinning are (were) they left or right threads?  
Might a nut cracker help?  
Had luck with cutting a slot into the face of the bolt for a screwdriver. Heat the lug nut, cool, apply a penetrant,  repeat a few times, then a final heat, hold the bolt with a screwdriver & many times it comes off.
jeepgod2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepgod2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 10:28pm
Two ideas:
1) heat the lug nuts red hot and split with a sharp cold chisel
2) put a cutting wheel in your grinder and split both the nut and lug bolt. Finish with a chisel when you get close to the wheel

Both have worked for me.
Good luck
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 9:15am
Usually the result of someone using the wrong tool and cutting the swaged portion of the studs too deep and ruining the hubs. 

I think you will have to do as Terry suggests and secure the studs from the rear of the probably already ruined hubs. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply