Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CJ-2A Build of the Yellow Jeep w Auto Shop Help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2A Build of the Yellow Jeep w Auto Shop Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 1:34pm
Yes, DJ.

Column shift, parking light bezels/lens, dash all say DJ.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
yellowjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 3:07pm
Confirming that is a Carter YF carb.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by yellowjeep yellowjeep wrote:

...Confirming that is a Carter YF carb.

More DJ evidence.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 4:53pm
I have a hypothesis of who may have converted this into a 4WD vehicle (with no way to ever verify):
My dad was the youngest of 14.  His next older brother was an auto mechanic, and it is very plausible that my dad commissioned his older brother to find him a ranch jeep by whatever means necessary.  

I have a memory of picking up a Jeep with my dad in Salinas, CA (where Uncle Frank worked).  Not sure if it was this one or another - because we didn't make it far out of Salinas before it broke down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 10:33pm
Engine / VIN Number
So this afternoon I degreased the engine block in the areas where numbers are to be found.
No joy.  I moved the oil filter out of the way as well as the oil dip stick tube (and stuffed the opening to the top of the oil pan with paper towels).  I'm not seeing any number in this location or above the water pump.  Does this mean I have a rebuilt engine? or ???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 8:31pm
Today I removed the rear drums and hubs.  Hmmmm.  Found that I have different parts.  Who can tell me what I have and which one belongs on a DJ-3A?  Also my keys are different - looks like one had the taper broken off.  Need to find a new key.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 8:57pm
Well actually none of that goes on a DJ....they were four lug and geared differently to boot.

Yours appears to be a DJ body on a CJ frame and running gear so mechanically just follow along with CJ procedures.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 9:45pm
  You’ve got one inboard drum and one outboard drum. Bubba must have replaced one hub/drum. Inboard came on CJ2-A’s, outboard came on CJ3B’s and CJ5’s. I’m not sure about CJ3A’s. 
Muley or Timmy, help me out here. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 9:05am
The outboard drum started to show up on the CJ3A about the same time the M38 was being developed.  1950ish.  

Early 3As are the same as the CJ2A.  Thumbs Up
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 11:14am
I appreciate all the input.  The person who converted this DJ-3A to a 4WD jeep (who I won't refer to as Bubba insofar as it is plausible it may have been my Uncle Frank who was a truck mechanic by trade), probably had to scramble for any parts he could get his hands on - thus two different types of rear wheel drums/hubs along with the combination of combat wheels in the front and CJ wheels in the rear.  

The plot thickens!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123