Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

60mph hat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Hockey helmet oughta do it

PERFECT!  If you are crazy enough to do 60 mph in an open Willys with NO airbags, NO power steering, NO anti-lock breaks (or hell no DISK breaks) and NO other modern accident avoidance or injury avoidance equipment, you will NEED IT.
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 6:15pm
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 7:01pm
I found the answer in my 3B. All you need is a venting windshield and a couple half doors!  I find that having the windshield open about 5 inches and with the half doors, have no more hat problems, and approved by the other half!!Thumbs UpThumbs Up
A measly $2,000.00 USD should get you there. LOL. This has been road tested to app. 65mph with overdrive!!
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 11:00pm
I use a union cavalry hat, never once tried to take flight on me and protects well... looks cool to boot

Edited by General Eisenhower - 01 Aug. 2021 at 9:09am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 11:43pm

Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 12:00am
Another boonie hat recommendation.

BarryS, at the Spring Reunion,  had one of Stan's Q8 boonie hats for sale.   I thought it looked like a great hat to keep the sun off my neck during tractor work on my son's newly acquired property.    It does work great for that,  but the unexpected advantage was that while driving Wilson to there,  I did not have to hold it,  no matter how fast I am driving,  or how hard the cross-wind.   The chin strap guarantees it is not going anywhere.

Thanks Stan and Barry  Smile  I love the hat

Edited by JeepFever - 01 Aug. 2021 at 8:27am
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 2:12am
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I use a union calvary hat.....

That's CAVALRY.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 7:11am
Just copy Rat Patrol or the Africa units of WW2. They taxi tested hats for you! Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

PERFECT!  If you are crazy enough to do 60 mph in an open Willys with NO airbags, NO power steering, NO anti-lock breaks (or hell no DISK breaks) and NO other modern accident avoidance or injury avoidance equipment, you will NEED IT.

Not really sure that any of those things would be of any benefit in an open Willys, kinda like riding a horse 😂

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 10:12am
You guys crack me up. How on earth did any of you live through your youth. When there were no seat belts no air bags no ABS no parking assist no bottled water no lead paint abatement no no no no no what ever.

I should make a chart to see how the list of guys scared of 60mph in an open Jeep compares to the list of guys who scream NO SEATBELTS if no rollbar.

I have never seen a Motorcycle with any of the stuff you mention needing to drive hwy speeds in a Willys. (around here except on the two major Freeways the speed limit is 55mph)

But always amusing
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 11:11am
Not to argue the point because its fruitless but there is a world of difference in 'feel' of a motorcycle at 60mph and a 2700lb flat fender jeep....don't care what's been done to it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 12:40pm
I like my Shelta hat also I wear it on my boat also, it can be adjusted as tight as you’d like also has neck strap plus a rigid front brim
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Not to argue the point because its fruitless but there is a world of difference in 'feel' of a motorcycle at 60mph and a 2700lb flat fender jeep....don't care what's been done to it.

I don't know---The bug impacts on the teeth are identical.  The leaning in the corners is perhaps the wrong direction----

Maybe one needs to include a few Whitworth bolts in the Willys to wear one of these but they stay on great with the windshield down.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 6:12pm
Should have quoted I guess.

When I said 'feel' I was addressing the previous comment of  "......guys scared of 60mph in an open jeep". My thought was a motorcycle at 60 feels more comfortable (to me, anyway) than a narrow, short wheelbase jeep at 60.

Doesn't really matter in this discussion anyway. I'm sure it's just that I haven't been in one of these rock steady little vehicles that are being built here on the Page.....you know, these Interstate worthy jeeps. 

I need to up my game and build more confidence into my projects I suppose. Beer

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 7:57pm
You could always just use the good old brain bucket!

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 9:37am
 At 60 MPH with the windshield down you might want something like a WWII  pilots cap or maybe a welder/bikers cap.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 11:40am
I have a Tilley hat too. It has a secret spot for spare cash and a chin strap.  
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12