Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction and starting problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caleyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction and starting problems
    Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 2:28pm
Good afternoon all,
    I am new to the forum and new to the Jeep world.  I am in Southeast Kansas and just purchased a 1948 CJ 2A which has few mismatching parts on it.  Overall it is in good condition.  The bed has been moded with sheet metal and angle.  Tailgate is fabricated out of tubing and checkered plate.  Sq. tubing has been added to the top of the bed rails, seats are of unknown origin, fenders are fiberglass and windshield is of a different year, I think, as it does not have the split fold out window and there is no rust. uploads/11316/1948_CJ_2A.pdf  The generator needs rebuilt as it currently will not charge.  It ran till I got it home then died.  Got it up and running again until it reached about 160 to 170 on temp and then died again and will not start at all.  I am going to check electrical system first, then fuel if all is good with the condenser points and distributor.  These item's I was told were replaced to new.  I do have a manual but I am sure I will have questions as this is a 6 volt system and I am not familiar with that at all.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Hope you all have great week.
Cale
C.Young
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 3:51pm
Welcome to the Forum, Cale.

Let's get this out of the way first. Where in the southeast of the great state of Kansas are you located?

One of the biggest problems with a 6 volt system is the grounding. EVERY connection has to be clean and tight. EVERY one. Without that it gets very difficult to locate electrical problems and get them corrected. I would start with that part of the project first.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

caleyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caleyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 4:33pm
Chanute, Ks. to be exact.  Thanks for the help.  With that information I will locate the grounds and clean and add star washer's where possible.  Starting with the starter motor. I noticed that the ground is attached to a different location other than where the manual states it should be with no star washer.  Getting the time to do the work will be next.  Thanks again.
C.Young
caleyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caleyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 10:58am
Chanute, Ks. to be exact.  Thanks for the help.  With that information I will locate the grounds and clean and add star washer's where possible.  Starting with the starter motor. I noticed that the ground is attached to a different location other than where the manual states it should be with no star washer.  Getting the time to do the work will be next.  Thanks again.
C.Young
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 3:56pm
buying a new vehicle new to you is is often tricky. you have no idea of its history.
generally i would first take a compression check of the engine. this would tell the general health of the engine. next change all fluids. including gas. new gas only lasts up to 6 months.
my CJ2A would not start once until I changed it. then continue with above suggestions.
Jerry,  San Diego
gearwrencher
caleyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caleyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 2:20pm
Just getting back to the thread.  I am in process of going through the filters and oils.  Still have to do transmission, transfer case and axles.  Any preference on the drive line oil?  Engine oil was milky and coolant was a gallon low.  P O changed head gasket trying to fix milky oil.  Did not work.  I am hoping I do not have a cracked block.  Did hook up PCV valve though may help with moisture.  Air filter has been modified for an old tractor filter.  Butchered the OEM filter canister.  To many farm fixes to list.  Trying to get it even close to OEM may be to expensive.  Going to get running reliably and keep looking for another.  It is running now.  Clogged fuel line so I blew lines out and new fuel filter and it fired right up.  Will have to re-seal tank as there was crud in fuel filter.  Thanks for the help.
Cale
C.Young
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 5:16pm
   If the oil stays milky after running it and it doesn't clear up pull the distributor and check down in the block where the distributor goes for a leak there. If it is leaking there a sleeve can be JB welded in to seal it.  
    After changing head gaskets and oil 3 time on mine I found that to be the reason why my oil was staying milky.  After sealing a sleeve in it the oil now stays clear.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
caleyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caleyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 12:45pm
Drove it for about 30 to 40 miles with multiple checks.  By end of drive it was running clear.  Will check again before next outing.  I did find that the breaks quickly fade.  Will check breaks, adjustment, and bleed them.  I also have an issue where the front left tire is wearing on inside.  Is this a toe in or out problem?  Hopefully not a camber issue.
Thanks
Cale
C.Young
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 2:13pm
Camber if it's on the inside edge. Needs King pin bearings replacement.
To check for toe in. Measure with wheels straight between the inside of (rear) rim between the two front tires and outside (front) two front tires.
DMusil
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by DMusil DMusil wrote:

Camber if it's on the inside edge. Needs King pin bearings replacement.
To check for toe in. Measure with wheels straight between the inside of (rear) rim between the two front tires and outside (front) two front tires.

Bolding & underlining mine.

What the ?? This makes little sense to me. It could just be me though.

I measure it with the tires pointed straight ahead & between the rear of the front wheels, (not tires), & between the front of the front wheels. I then subtract the front measurement from the rear measurement. This gives me the toe-in. It is much easier to use the inside of the wheels as opposed to the outside of the tires. However, the measurements need to be from either the tires or the wheels. Not both.

IME, this is close enough. Officially the measurements should be taken between the centers of the tires. However to get it right, the tires should be of the same size, manufacture, inflation, & amount of wear. I find with these old rigs getting all of the above the same is really only possible with new tires.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
caleyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caleyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 6:07pm
Thanks all I appreciate the help,  I will work on alignment after the brakes.
Cale
C.Young
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 6:39pm
I read you both saying the same thing. Rim and not rubber for both. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 9:07pm
  Inside edge wear could be from a toe-OUT condition, but knowing these jeeps, it’s more likely a camber problem. As was said, check the kingpin bearings. I’d bet my lunch that’s the problem. Incidentally, badly worn kingpin bearings could introduce a toe-out condition, making things worse. Check those bearings before beginning a toe-in adjustment. If you set the toe-in now and then replace the kingpin bearings, you will be setting the toe-in again, possibly right back to where it was before. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
caleyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caleyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2021 at 9:42am
Thanks again.  I will check the king pin bearings first.  I have jacked it up and the left front does wobble a bit, at most 1/8" and least 1/16" when I push pull top of tire.  Will check wheel bearing as well.  Thanks for all of the help.
Cale
C.Young
 Post Reply Post Reply