Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946? CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946? CJ2A
    Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 2:45pm
Picked this up yesterday. Not sure what I got myself into. ;)
wish i knew more View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 3:03pm
Primary concern currently is why the oil pressure gauge reads low. Like 5# idle, maybe 15# revved out. I'm going to get another one and make sure it's not the gauge before I assume there's bigger problems.

Other than that, she runs, drives, stops. The left front brake is not working. The steering feels like it is 70 years old. It has a 3a windshield. Not sure why that is. Came with an overdrive unit installed. I know there's more and I'll think of it.
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 5:22pm
I personally wouldn’t worry about the oil pressure, I think holding a steady 5 when warm is perfectly acceptable and that even the manual lists something around 4-6 to as being fine. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 5:24pm
She's been repainted with some kind of metallic teal. Engine has good pep. Transmission is tight. Transfer case is pretty loose. Has one warn locking hub, and one international locking hub. I can't find the frame tag. I think it is missing. Body tag #17909. Unless this body was swapped on from a different jeep, my research shows it probably was column shift.

What do you all think?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 5:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 5:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 5:33pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 6:57pm
It looks like this jeep has some partial tool indents, or maybe remnants of tool indents on the left side. Not sure when they stopped installing those.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 10:50pm
The frame tag is missing, but there is an additional tag on the right hand side of the dash. I'm hoping it is the frame tag relocated. The serial number on it is 17909.

Edited by wish i knew more - 03 Aug. 2021 at 10:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 10:52pm
ya it looks like someone tried to fill in the tool indents, I guess.
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 11:23pm
Had similar oil pressure on my '48.  Dropped the pan, cleaned the screen on the pick up & sludge in the oil pan.  Now the oil pressure is 3x what it was.  Well worth orth the time and an oil pan gasket.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Had similar oil pressure on my '48.  Dropped the pan, cleaned the screen on the pick up & sludge in the oil pan.  Now the oil pressure is 3x what it was.  Well worth orth the time and an oil pan gasket.

When you dropped the pan, that was after you had removed the engine or it can be done with the engine installed. I need to address rear main seal sometime also. Probably time to just pull the engine and do a clean up.
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 12:14am
Just dropped the pan.  
Didn't replace the rear main seal.

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 5:21am
Originally posted by wish i knew more wish i knew more wrote:

She's been repainted with some kind of metallic teal. Engine has good pep. Transmission is tight. Transfer case is pretty loose. Has one warn locking hub, and one international locking hub. I can't find the frame tag. I think it is missing. Body tag #17909. Unless this body was swapped on from a different jeep, my research shows it probably was column shift.

What do you all think?

Nice find! 

Have you been able to see the ACM number? That will tell the tale. 

Here's a great thread on indents that i was led to in order to ID my 2A. 

17909 is pretty early! I have the service bulletins around here somewhere. It can help narrow down exactly when yours left the factory. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 1:35pm
A question: My engine has been fitted with a paper element air cleaner. Now there is this pipe that angles back from the oil fill tube. Do I just plug this, or what do people do with it. I don't like the idea of dirt going in the engine when it wants. Thanks!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 1:46pm
Nice looking Jeep.

That little pipe is part of the crank case ventilation system.  You should get a little filterand put it on the pipe to keep junk from going into the engine.

One option is to just get the correct oil bath oil filter and hook the PVC system back up as designed.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 12:05am
Tub AMC #8482

Edited by wish i knew more - 05 Aug. 2021 at 12:06am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wish i knew more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 12:14am
But there is more fun yet. Engine block and head both have GPW cast into them. Engine swap maybe? Or 2A tub on GPW frame, if that's even possible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>