Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2021 at 11:18am
Thanks again for all of your input.  I think that $18 (cheap case of beer) difference is not even close to being a hard decision to go with Walck's (not Walks, sorry it was late.).  I am still glad that I went through this exercise though and hope that it helps others.  Honestly, I was expecting a much bigger savings from Rock Auto.  Brakes parts are important, especially with the handicap of a single chamber master cylinder.  BTW, I already have a new master and that's why it's not on the list.  Also, Carl did email me when he saw my shopping cart that I created.  
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2021 at 11:27am
Now that is service! Carl always goes the extra mile and that is why I usually shop there first. About the only time I shop elsewhere is if he is out of stock or the part I'm looking for isn't cataloged.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 12:55am
If you check out oldwillys forum and want to shell out $40 to become an all-star you can get a 5% at Walck’s, 10% at KW and various other suppliers. So if you purchased the $450+ you would around $22 savings. Still need to offset the $40 fee.  But if you are expecting to spend a grand or do you can break even

Bitz 
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 10:29am
Ok, so mr AdventureVan man, i have just quickly perused through this thread with good chuckles !
We all begin somewhere, and usually on the wrong end first as we dig into the unknown world.
Even with a good shop manual, seeing light at the end of the tunnel is a great experience.

I liked the photo's of the African Puller for removing axle shaft / brg from the housing.
Brakes are worth whatever price we must pay to properly service them, for saving our Butts.  LoL

You haven't mentioned yet anything about your "Adventure" Van.    Do you have a Sportmobile van ?

I ask because maybe you have a newer Sprinter Van which i have been seeing everywhere since covid closures and global travel restrictions.
I have been re-furbishing my '78 Ford E-250 4x4 Chateau wagon since Aug. 2020.   Slow going with interruptions and all.   But, one of the important service items is Brakes and Wheel Bearings.
This may seem exaggerated, but end-play for the rear wheel hub bearings .010-inch seems to ring a bell for the full-float dana-60 rear assembly.
Not to worry, Adventure, my bell has been rung many times snow skiing, so i am guessing your cj axle endplay was approx .005" ?
endplay always feels looser than what we would expect by measurement.   hahaha

I always enjoy everyone's helpful suggestions.

OH, while we are discussing pullers and pulling methods, (and chain), i attempted the chain method a few years back trying to separate the transaxle on my Subaru wrx from the engine which is TIGHT.
I was concerned of "too many links" and not enough impact.    I used a Morgan knocker and beat my brains out in vain.   Wound up making a plate to bolt to the trans-axle and a hole for the puller hook.
That worked finally.   I was wanting to check the carrier bearings because of a grumble.  (it wound up being a Center-Diff viscious coupler unit - a $700 piece).
I had a Subaru service manual, but there are times we must get innovative with a little help from our friends.    
     Enjoy your project, and thanks for the entertainment !

Edited by Greaser007 - 03 Sep. 2021 at 10:32am
Adventure Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2021 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

Ok, so mr AdventureVan man, i have just quickly perused through this thread with good chuckles !
We all begin somewhere, and usually on the wrong end first as we dig into the unknown world.
Even with a good shop manual, seeing light at the end of the tunnel is a great experience.

I liked the photo's of the African Puller for removing axle shaft / brg from the housing.
Brakes are worth whatever price we must pay to properly service them, for saving our Butts.  LoL

You haven't mentioned yet anything about your "Adventure" Van.    Do you have a Sportmobile van ?

I ask because maybe you have a newer Sprinter Van which i have been seeing everywhere since covid closures and global travel restrictions.
I have been re-furbishing my '78 Ford E-250 4x4 Chateau wagon since Aug. 2020.   Slow going with interruptions and all.   But, one of the important service items is Brakes and Wheel Bearings.
This may seem exaggerated, but end-play for the rear wheel hub bearings .010-inch seems to ring a bell for the full-float dana-60 rear assembly.
Not to worry, Adventure, my bell has been rung many times snow skiing, so i am guessing your cj axle endplay was approx .005" ?

OH, while we are discussing pullers and pulling methods, (and chain), i attempted the chain method a few years back trying to separate the transaxle on my Subaru wrx from the engine which is TIGHT.
I was concerned of "too many links" and not enough impact.    I used a Morgan knocker and beat my brains out in vain.   Wound up making a plate to bolt to the trans-axle and a hole for the puller hook.
That worked finally.   I was wanting to check the carrier bearings because of a grumble.  (it wound up being a Center-Diff viscious coupler unit - a $700 piece).
I had a Subaru service manual, but there are times we must get innovative with a little help from our friends.    
So happy to be a good source of entertainment.  I'll provide the entertainment if you all continue to provide the information and help!   

Yes, the South African puller method was magic and there was no way a chain was going to do the job in my case.  This is a great example of work smarter, not harder.  

I recently sold my 95 E-250 adventure van that I built.  No Sportsmobile, or fancy Sprinters here.  Another AV in the near future.  

I ordered my parts from Walck's this weeked and took advantage of the 10% off Labor day sale.  Waiting...  
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2021 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Adventure Van Adventure Van wrote:

Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

So happy to be a good source of entertainment.  I'll provide the entertainment if you all continue to provide the information and help!   

Yes, the South African puller method was magic and there was no way a chain was going to do the job in my case.  This is a great example of work smarter, not harder.  

I recently sold my 95 E-250 adventure van that I built.  No Sportsmobile, or fancy Sprinters here.  Another AV in the near future.  

I ordered my parts from Walck's this weeked and took advantage of the 10% off Labor day sale.  Waiting...  

I recently sold a 1994 E-250 van, driving that vehicle was always an adventure!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Adventure Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 9:44am
I made a little more progress on the front brakes yesterday.  I removed all of the old lines.  Threw away the rubber ones flushed the steel and painted them. The reinstallation went well.  I only wished that I would have bought new line clips.  The old ones were bent and not so easy to work with.

Got a start on the rear.  I managed to remove the rear axle bearings.  They were on there tight!

Also, now realizing that this thread would be more apropriate in the Tech Questions section.  Powers that be, please move this if needed.  

Edited by Adventure Van - 19 Sep. 2021 at 9:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456