Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won’t shift into gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miniappleguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won’t shift into gear
    Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 2:23am
Hello everyone.  I looked for this but my problem is slightly different from what I’m finding.  

I have a 1946 CJ2A and I recently had some issues with shifting that have deteriorated quickly.  Over the past 10-15 miles worth of driving, I notice that the Jeep would shift into gear and between gears but wouldn’t seem to fully go into gear (the Jeep wasn’t getting full power in any gear.  Eventually it was so out of gear that it barely wanted to move and then not move at all and wouldn’t go back into gear.  When you try to shift it responds like you’re not even using the clutch.  It just grinds as the engine turns.  Engine seems very normal and so does everything else.  Again all of this went from fine to not shifting at all in a matter of 10-15 miles worth of driving and nothing strenuous.  It didn’t happen all at once and I heard and felt nothing catastrophic.  It felt as if something just wore out.   I’m not we’ll versed in clutches or transmissions so I could use some help.

Thank you!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 6:58am
Sounds like your clutch is not releasing. Consult the shop manual for instructions on adjusting the clutch cable. I would also check the level of the oil in the transmission.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2021 at 9:21pm
I too think you need to look at the clutch linkage-bellcrank, rod, and cable.

I have had the ends of the rod completely break off, one time at a stop light in downtown Boulder, CO.

Derek has a good relevant discussion on the 3B Page.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2021 at 5:07pm
X3 on the clutch linkage.  As a backup plan, learn to shift without using the clutch.  If synchros are good, it's easy.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Miniappleguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miniappleguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 1:35am
I appreciate the thoughts.  I’ll have a chance to look at it this weekend and report back.  

Thanks again!
Skeleton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2021 at 2:56pm
X4 on what they said
 Post Reply Post Reply