Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unknown Age CJ2A.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unknown Age CJ2A.
    Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 10:48am
Hey guys new to the forum, there wasn't a new member intro thread that jumped out at me.  My name is Josh.  Currently living in Hunt County Texas about an hour east of Dallas.  Currently work as a Firefighter/Paramedic. Been into Jeeps since I was a kid, mostly owned XJs, my current 1995 Daily Driver XJ is my 4th.  

Last year I rebuilt a 76 CJ5.  Took it back to a mostly stock condition about the only things that didn't get rebuilt were the front axle and engine.  

Anywho on to my current project.  

This is an unknown year CJ2A.  Owner had it listed as a 1950 CJ3A, I posted on the Early CJ5 forums and those  more knowledgeable than me on the subject said that it looked like an earlier 2A with a 3A windshield. Original Seral Numbers were missing from the frame and the firewall data plate but the tub still had it's number "151274"  If I'm reading the serial number document right this should make the frame around 161274ish?

Anyway today I'll be going around and starting a parts list and getting the body removal started.  Current plans are basically like my CJ5 but add the front axle and engine to the rebuild list.  It does start and run, but for sure has a blown headgasket, we started it to get it up on the trailer and again when I got home to get it in it's semi-permanent spot in the drive way.  Once I get it to the point it's ready to go back together I'll move the project into my garage and let the XJ live outside for a little while. 

Edited by Downs - 13 Sep. 2021 at 11:09am
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 9:51pm
The acquisition of the 2A has spurred me to finish the M416. Or at least finishish. I didn't spend a lot of time on the frame. Basically knocking the lose stuff off then shooting with primer and CARC Green.
Ill finish the fenders tomorrow and have it assembled and out of the way leaving me with the 2A project.

The acquisition of the 2A has spurred me to finish the M416. Or at least finishish. I didn't spend a lot of time on the frame. Basically knocking the lose stuff off then shooting with primer and CARC Green.
Ill finish the fenders tomorrow and have it assembled and out of the way leaving me with the 2A project.

Edited by Downs - 14 Sep. 2021 at 9:58pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 11:23pm
I have a 1947 CJ2a with tub# 154501 with tailgate 154500 if that helps date your jeep.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 1:18am
Here is the current data base.  ==

The ACM tub number is not an exact science because of the way Willys Overland pulled from and stored inventory, but the data base suggests it's an early 1948.  If we assume your engine is original, (this is rarely true) then it is a 1948 CJ2A.

Edited by athawk11 - 15 Sep. 2021 at 11:30am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 2:18am
Hey Josh, welcome Thumbs Up

Looks like a great start… were it me id be changing the head gasket and driving it Wink

(And yes, yes, brakes and steering first, lol)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 11:12am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Hey Josh, welcome Thumbs Up

Looks like a great start… were it me id be changing the head gasket and driving it Wink

(And yes, yes, brakes and steering first, lol)

I thought about that.  The previous owner rebuilt the brakes, and steering so for the short jaunt down the road and back it steered and stopped well.  

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I have a 1947 CJ2a with tub# 154501 with tailgate 154500 if that helps date your jeep.

It does, it at least is more confirmation it's a 47. 

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Here is the current data base.  ==

http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php

The ACM tub number is not an exact science because of the way Willys Overland pulled from and stored inventory, but the data base suggests it's an early 1948.  If we assume your engine is original, (this is rarely true) then it is a 1948 CJ2A.

That link gives me a 404 error.  Nevermind got it to work

Some guys over on the Early CJ5 forums were saying they thought it was maybe a 47 or 46 since it still has a full float rear axle?  Which they said was a MB part that carried over into the early CJ2s. 

Edited by Downs - 15 Sep. 2021 at 11:13am
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 11:27am
The picture is not clear enough for me to have seen the rear axle.  That said, the numbers you have listed do not coincide with a full float axle.  Based on the current information you have given, you still have a 1948. The 3A windshield and the full float axle just tells me it's also a hodge-podge.

Can you show us more pictures of the frame...and the engine compartment?

Edit...FYI:  I think I fixed the link above.

Edited by athawk11 - 15 Sep. 2021 at 11:31am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

The picture is not clear enough for me to have seen the rear axle.  That said, the numbers you have listed do not coincide with a full float axle.  Based on the current information you have given, you still have a 1948. The 3A windshield and the full float axle just tells me it's also a hodge-podge.

Can you show us more pictures of the frame...and the engine compartment?

Edit...FYI:  I think I fixed the link above.

I'm rolling out tomorrow with the CJ5 to go to an event in Arkansas but I can try to snap some in the morning.  Is there anything specific I need to capture in there or just a general overview of the engine bay?
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 10:49pm
  Downs said, “Some guys over on the Early CJ5 forums were saying they thought it was maybe a 47 or 46 since it still has a full float rear axle?  Which they said was a MB part that carried over into the early CJ2s.”
  That just goes to show ya - those guys may know their early CJ5’s, but they don’t know squat about CJ2’s and CJ2-A’s. Most of them probably don’t even know there is a difference.
A ‘46 might have a full-floating axle, but a ‘47 certainly would not. And the full-float axle is not a carry-over from the MB. MB’s had 4.88:1 gear ratios. CJ2’s and CJ2-A’s had 5.38:1s. 
BW  
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Downs said, “Some guys over on the Early CJ5 forums were saying they thought it was maybe a 47 or 46 since it still has a full float rear axle?  Which they said was a MB part that carried over into the early CJ2s.”
  That just goes to show ya - those guys may know their early CJ5’s, but they don’t know squat about CJ2’s and CJ2-A’s. Most of them probably don’t even know there is a difference.
A ‘46 might have a full-floating axle, but a ‘47 certainly would not. And the full-float axle is not a carry-over from the MB. MB’s had 4.88:1 gear ratios. CJ2’s and CJ2-A’s had 5.38:1s. 
BW  

They mentioned the gear ratio change.  Maybe "carry over" wasn't the right term but they said during early CJ2 production they were still using left over parts from war production stocks.  

Either way the forum there is a great resource just like this one. 
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2021 at 10:05am
I’d be checking the axle ratios to be sure they are the same front and back, just in case someone swapped a military axle for the faster top speed or as a junkyard replacement.
Is the bellcrank attached to the front axle or the frame?
Salad or not it looks like a great start.

Edited by 48willys - 16 Sep. 2021 at 10:09am
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2021 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

BW  

Wow, that's a statement. There are a lot of good folks that know a ton over on ECj5. Lots of them have flatties and know them as well and are willing to share, but I guess they "don't know squat".   So your saying that Willys didn't use the full floating MB axle on the early Cj2A's because the axle ratio was diff?  Come on, Willys always retrofitted what they had left over on the newer models till they where gone. Heck, some early Willys rolled off the line with two solid rims on one side and slotted on the other, along with other oddities.    
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2021 at 11:44am
  Embarrassed  Alright, I’ll retract that. I’m sure there are some very knowledgeable folks over there. I don’t go there anymore because I don’t have a CJ5. 
  BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2021 at 12:36pm
We'll forgive you Bruce. Wink
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 10:45pm
Got the hood, fenders, grille and windshield frame pulled and set to the side.  Today also involved mostly finishing up a M416 trailer.   Hope to have the tub off this week if I can wrangle some friends over to help lift it off. 

Edited by Downs - 21 Sep. 2021 at 10:49pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 1:51am
Welcome to the page, Downs!

Your passenger-side front fender is from an MB or GPW.  Driver's seat frame looks like a 2A but the passenger seat frame is too hard to see.  It might be from a 3A, but maybe not.  How long are the rear wheelwells?  From the back panel to the front of the wheelwell, a 2A is 35-5/16", a 3A is 32".  Got any more pics?

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 22 Sep. 2021 at 1:52am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Downs Downs wrote:

.   Hope to have the tub off this week if I can wrangle some friends over to help lift it off. 

i use an engine hoist and a strap to lift my tub. I've never had any help and I've had it off a couple of times.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 10:57am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by Downs Downs wrote:

.   Hope to have the tub off this week if I can wrangle some friends over to help lift it off. 

i use an engine hoist and a strap to lift my tub. I've never had any help and I've had it off a couple of times.

That's one of those tools I need to add to the garage, I usually just borrow one ha.  

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Welcome to the page, Downs!

Your passenger-side front fender is from an MB or GPW.  Driver's seat frame looks like a 2A but the passenger seat frame is too hard to see.  It might be from a 3A, but maybe not.  How long are the rear wheelwells?  From the back panel to the front of the wheelwell, a 2A is 35-5/16", a 3A is 32".  Got any more pics?

Here's a few I took before leaving town last week.  I'll have to measure the tub when I get back from work tomorrow morning. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>