Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unknown Age CJ2A.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Downs Downs wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by Downs Downs wrote:

.   Hope to have the tub off this week if I can wrangle some friends over to help lift it off. 

i use an engine hoist and a strap to lift my tub. I've never had any help and I've had it off a couple of times.

That's one of those tools I need to add to the garage, I usually just borrow one ha.  

Hah! The one in my garage I "borrowed" from my brother-in-law many years ago. He borrows it back once in a while. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:23pm
First panel of the project is stripped, primed and painted.  Tub is removed and frame is pushed into the garage for further disassembly.  

"Ford Dark Gray"

Edited by Downs - 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:28pm
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 9:30pm
Looking good,keep the pictures coming.

Gil
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 9:59pm
I like the Ford gray. 
Great progress!Clap
Looks like OD paint on the rear axle…… as was already suggested make sure and double check the ratio on the rear axle. 

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 24 Sep. 2021 at 10:00pm
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 12:29pm
I'll be pulling both covers for inspection, reseal and fluid changes at the very least so I'll make sure to check ratios on both axles. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Looking good, keep the pictures coming.

I agree!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2021 at 12:44pm
That rear axle could very well be the D23.  Whether or not it is stock to the 2A is open for debate.  That axle will suffice for parades and light wheeling but it is the weakest axle ever put under any CJ and the shafts will break under any real loading.  The good is that, as with any full float, the wheels will stay on the Willys and you will still have operable brakes.  You just only have FWD at that point.

And as I pointed out at that don't know squat site, you have the non parking brake rear D18 bearing cap and a regular yoke, making the overall transfercase length about an inch shorter than the parking brake/companion flange version but you still have the stock rear driveshaft.  At full stuff, you might actually pull those splines completely apart.  That will not end well.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2021 at 8:54pm
Rolled the frame out today and pressure washed everything, the knuckles had a solid 1 inch of grime/grease built up that I had to mechanically scrape down before blasting with the pressure washer.  I'll roll forward with the tear down later this week, I'll have to stop by HF and pickup an engine stand as well for the flathead.  

I placed my first large order for it today as well though Kaiser Willys which included reseal kits for the engine, trans and t-case.  

Now starts the long process of busting corrosion off with my needle scaler and wire brush and getting everything torn down for at least a reseal. 
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2021 at 9:35pm
Looks like you have an Omix aluminum radiator already. I have one, so far, no problems.

Your are making a lot of progress in a short time. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2021 at 9:07pm
Didn't have time to do much this weekend due to other commitments but did get the Tcase and trans out. I also removed the whole exhaust system as it's mostly rusted out and patched together.  Previous owners did put a brand new muffler in then proceeded to smash the inlet and outlets with clamps :(  Not sure if I'll be able to save it or not. 

Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 6:59pm
Engine is out and mounted on the stand as of yesterday, wanted to make more progress but got wrapped up in other items ha. Hope to have the axles out and a bare frame on my next day off and try to get another panel painted

Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2021 at 1:54pm
Started pulling down the engine to find this today. Most of the cylinders actually look decent except for the #4 which has a good bit of scoring. It still has standard pistons in place and the bores just barely have a lip at the top. I don't know if the block is savable with that crack between the 2/3 cylinders. I'm going to drop it off at the Machine shop Monday morning and see what they say.

Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 6:49pm
I'm off all week this week and we've got dang near perfect weather so I've put the frame and mechanicals on hold and am pressing hard on getting the tub and other body parts knocked out and painted. The last of the panels to paint is currently primed, the grille and windshield frame and will be getting paint tomorrow. I've got the bottom of the tub prepped and primed and I will be trying to get the interior of the tub cleaned up and primered tomorrow.
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2021 at 3:33pm
So a quick update.  I've got the tub and all the body pieces primed and painted and have moved onto the mechanicals and the frame, this photo shows the tub primered but it's now painted "dark ford gray", you can see the color behind the frame in the last picture.  I thought it was sorta close to Pickett Gray.  I'm coming up on another week and a half off so plan to push hard on these items and hopefully start going the other direction on this build in the near future.  

Yesterday I pulled the front axle off the frame for inspection, cleaning and painting and pulled all the suspension and steering parts for the same purpose.  

Edited by Downs - 06 Nov. 2021 at 3:34pm
Thatdogdonthunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2021 at 4:34pm
Welcome and as for identification, all I can say for sure is that its a female since all the mail jeeps were right hand drive. 
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2021 at 8:11am
LOLLOLLOL that's a good one!!
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 6:55pm
Got the frame cleaned up with the wire wheel and needle scaler, cut off the rusty battery tray and welded in a new one and welded up a series of cracks on the front of the frame and used the flap wheel to clean up those and some other nasty welds the previous owners have done.  Tomorrow I hope to lay down primer and paint on the frame but they're calling for a very windy day so I may not be able to without moving it into the garage.  This is the last large item before I can start going back up with this project.  I have a giant pile of parts just waiting at this point but I"m sure I've forgot a few things and will be waiting on parts at some point.  
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2021 at 3:23pm
Got the 2A's Dana 25 wrapped up for the most part.  Just waiting for the drive flanges to come in from FedEx.   Work has kind of stalled on the 2A and this is the most progress I"ve made in a few weeks but I've got 5 days off coming up so I'm hoping to get a lot more done. 

Edited by Downs - 06 Dec. 2021 at 3:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12