Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wiring question-ammeter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfishjn69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wiring question-ammeter
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2021 at 9:37pm
alright i am working on my 46 fixing broken wires and what ever i find. 
the jeep has 2 solenoids one for the starter set up like normal
the other one the big pole is connected to the battery side of the first solenoid and the other side is connected to the ammeter. that is the only wire on that side of the ammeter. the control wire is coming from the accessory side of the 4 pole starter switch. 

so the ammeter has power coming in from solenoid #2 after the ignition is on
then power leaves the ammeter to the light switch, power for the blower on the heater core, horn, flasher for the turn signals and alternator 

i am assuming they didnt want power to all the things unless the power was on 
open to ideas why someone would do this ?

thanks
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2021 at 1:12am
Well, my guess is that they did not want power to anything without the ignition switch turned on. Of course the horn is still on, but nothing else is.

I suspect that they had something draining the battery with everything turned off & this was their way of isolating the battery from the Jeep. These shorts can be hard to find, especially if they are intermittent.

Personally, when I need to stop a battery from draining due to unknown or untraceable intermittent shorts, I remove the negative battery cable from the battery. But that is more work than just turning the ignition switch off. Eventually I find the problem & fix the short. They probably could not find it & this was their fix. It works until the short burns up the wiring while the Jeep is running. 
catfishjn69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfishjn69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2021 at 11:20am
thats kinda what i was thinking just alot of work 
seems like it would be easier to trace the draw 

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2021 at 7:56pm
PO's do strange things.  I had a perfectly functioning dimmer switch on the floor that didn't have anything wired to it but the PO wired the hi beams into the first notch on the light switch.......
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply