Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil filter jiggle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil filter jiggle
    Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 6:02pm
I'm curious, whenever I run my engine, the oil filter vibrates, moreso than the rest of the jeep. Is there a reason for this, does it happen to anyone else?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 7:19pm
Ask how many guys have had a busted filter bracket due to it..
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 7:20pm
I'm curious as to why it happening or how to stop it
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 8:19pm
i have a front mounted driving light that does a similar thing. only one of the two does it.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 10:03pm
And I guess I could say it's a vibration but is very noticable at idle, just not sure the preventer of it
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 11:18pm
The bracket isn't aftermarket is it?
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 11:21pm
No it's an original 

Edited by General Eisenhower - 19 Sep. 2021 at 11:23pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 12:02am
Which comes first, the oil filter vibration or the cracked mounting bracket?  The chicken or the egg?  Try mounting the filter with rubber to absorb the vibration and save the bracket.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 5:19am
I'll try that or just re adjusting the filter canister, havent done it since I've had it. 

What is the filter size at napa? I think I'll do an oil change on it today
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I'll try that or just re adjusting the filter canister, havent done it since I've had it. 

What is the filter size at napa? I think I'll do an oil change on it today

This thread from the tech faqs section talks about the various oil filter options. The illustrations links aren't working for me here at work. I hope they are still good.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 1:40pm
Seems like the 1100 at napa fits my military junior filter
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 9:08pm
Of the four bolts that hold the two brackets to the mount, one was missing which would seem to cause the vibration 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 12:29am
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Of the four bolts that hold the two brackets to the mount, one was missing which would seem to cause the vibration 

I think the vibration and the missing bolt are inter-related.  One caused the other, then one exacerbated the other.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 5:36am
I couldn't tell you how long it's been gone or even if it was there when I bought it, but I know the filter was improperly mounted 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 10:16pm
If I take the three headbolts off to quickly replace the oil filter mount, would this cause an issue or should this be fine?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 11:59pm
It should be fine. Just do not leave the bolts off for days.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 7:37am
Napa 1010 or 1006 cartridge filters. Can't remember which is small or large. Military was large. Yes the brackets break and even had the canister crack in the open area between the clamps. Some guys have mounted the filter over on the fender with longer custom hoses. Some just delete the filter all together since it just siphons some of the oil and doesn't filter all the oil coming from the oil pump. On the early chain drive engines the oil returns to the front timing cover and helps lube the chain. Later gear drive engines have a spray nozzle that shoots oil directly between the crank and cam gears. 

Be very careful if you mount a spin on filter. You must have a restricted type that backs the oil up against the gallery and pump or you will lose your oil pressure and ruin the engine. The canister type original has a .070 return hole or orifice in the side of the stand pipe that accomplishes this restriction. I once saw a guy with a CJ3B totally get mad at no oil pressure and blew his engine up. Sold the Jeep, was a disaster. It had a aftermaket spin on. Shocked

Some say that filter will starve the front rod bearing since it draws from the front of the side gallery. I've not experienced this. If you remove the filter, it runs just fine. Change your oil more often. No hose worries and more room to get at the generator. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 3:01pm
The 1100 filter from napa fits the military junior filter and fits the gasket.

I'm going with a steel line on the bottom since that was all I can find to fit both female couplings. The mount is only cracked where the hose is held, not a huge deal but I figure it would look better
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>