Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccstelmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Problem
    Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 11:45pm
1946 CJ2A

I'm finally at the stage where I can turn the key and see if it starts.  I did and it didn't.
Rebuilt motor that has been sitting there waiting for me to get off my duff.  Sitting there out in the weather.  The hood was down, but you know how that goes, the plug pockets filled with water on occasion (plugs were tight though).
So I turned the key and cranked it for a bit and the battery cables got pretty hot.  Quit cranking.  I'm thinking the starter motor may be the original 6 volt.  It says MZ4113 12B.  That kind of sounds like a 12 volt starter but can anyone confirm that? I have no reason to believe that water got into the engine but I'll pull the drain plug when it stops raining out there and see what comes out.  My thinking is that if water did get into the engine the jugs may be creating a lot of drag on the cylinder walls resulting in high amp draw or something.
There was no sign that the engine was going to cooperate and start but I need to focus on those hot battery cables before I worry about that.

Thanks    Chuck 

ccstelmo
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 12:31am
MZ4113 is a 6v starter.  It will hold up fairly well if your Willys has been converted to 12v, but you don't want to crank it for very long.  Short 5 second bursts max... or you will bust the bendix.  After 6 or 8 tries, stop and let the starter cool down...or you will bust the bendix.  If you're running it enough to heat up the battery cables, you're gonna bust the bendix.Wink  

For a 12v system, you don't really need super heavy duty cables, but I wouldn't do anything less than 2 gauge.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 12:53am
I detect a trend here.  Bendix keeps flashing before my eyes. What are you trying to tell usTongue
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 1:05am
Heat equals bad connections as in loose or corrosion in terminals and or cables that are not heavy enough gauge cable like athawk11 talked about. If you were cranking for some time and the starter is pulling alot of amps that could warm the cables, but it sounds like that wasn't the case. 
Phil
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 7:24am
If it turns over at all, I doubt it had sat with water in the cylinders. If if sat for any length of time with water in the cylinders it would be stuck tight.

The engine only needs three things to run, fuel, compression, and ignition spark exactly when needed. 

There was no mention of any of the three in the original post, which makes me wonder how much diagnosis has been done.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
BUTA46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUTA46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:35am
I would begin isolation by squirting some of Mac’s 7212 Starting Fluid from NAPA down the carb with no choke. Then close choke some and try to start. Does it start then die? Likely fuel issue.
Didn’t start at all? Check for spark at a spark plug. (This is when I usually re-remember the power of electricity.) Go back to NAPA for a new Echlin coil and condenser. You said it sat outside for a while? Was the timing ever set after rebuild? What’s your points gap after sitting awhile? Fine piece of sandpaper across the points to get any corrosion off.
Hot battery cables can happen from cranking. It’s a lot of current.
Other stuff to check after that if it still won’t start.

Edited by BUTA46 - 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:36am
BUTA- Back Up Try Again

46 CJ2A #73349   “Poison Icky”
46 CJ2A #51119.   “Rock Sand”
46 CJ2A #80102.   “Marilyn Jean”
ccstelmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccstelmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 11:11am
Thanks, guys.  You've given me plenty to work on.  I'll get back to you.
Chuck
ccstelmo
 Post Reply Post Reply