Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dualmatic top hardware

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dualmatic top hardware
    Posted: 27 Sep. 2021 at 7:11pm
Need some help! I recently acquired a new to me Bestop Dualmatic top in very good condition. The previous owner said it came off a '47 like mine. He sold the Jeep 20 some years ago and it has been accumulating dust in a corner of his garage ever since.  I have had a Tiger top on mine before but it went the route by mistake years ago. Anyway, the problem is he couldn't find the hardware for the tub to bow brackets. I have the channels for the windshield and doors. It seems that the snaps are different locations also. The question is, does anyone have either pictures or dimensions for these brackets? I just need the angle bracket and the two straps that join the bows together. Also the bracket locations if different than a tiger top. Who knows. I called Bestop with no help whatsoever. If anyone can help with these it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Dan   

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 1:00am
Dualamatic was a brand of Husky Products back in the 70s, competitor of Bestop.  I am currently trying to install a Tiger top on my 2A with a 3A winshield and having nothing but problems. I previously had a Kayline on it.  A great top but sadly no longer available

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 10:15am

Dan,

Who knows, as deep as the experience is here, someone may have one of these.  I googled and found out info I didn't know.

That merger discussed here until JohnnyC gets on and adds details:

Need info on Bestop Dualmatic soft top??? | IH8MUD Forum

I found similar info on other forums but all about the same.  There was a merger and then it apparently it dissolved.  So is a BesTop Dualmatic and a BesTop the same or different?

Then Dave drops a large one back in 2019 that I had not seen:

Bestop Manufacturing Company | eWillys

This took a while to read through - good links to follow down the rabbit hole.  

I noticed on the Husky and BesTop illustrations that the tops were very square - like the canvas tops that would sit on the original bows.  The illustrations appear to have "convertable" type bows but also display a replacement top for the original bows that would fit in the tub sockets.

I have a BesTop from the late 70's (don't remember any mention of Dualmatic then).  I'll add that by the time my '70's top was made, they'd simplified that patented front channel locking system to just a strip of plastic sewn into the fabric.  I also eventually bought a used newer one (I believe this is the current one offered) to compare and they are different.  So, depending on your newly acquired top, its shape (I'm thinking the side curtain and rear curtain mostly) may help figure out the bows you need measurements for.  Also if you have the doors you can compare those to what's posted on those earliest tops as that may also help differentiate.  My early BesTop (and the later one) both had lower windows on the bottom half of the door.

If your top has the typical soft top shape, the early bows I have may be the same.  If your top has those older more classic shapes from the adds on ewillys, I'm sure the rear bow will be longer.

On my older top (believe the same for the newer top) the front bow rests under the midseam on the fabric and the rear is at the rear seam.

I can't remember if there was ever a strap between bows but I noticed that the front bow was pinned down from the fabric tension and forced against the top door rod (connects to the w/s frame) so the front bow didn't move.  It does have two short straps w/ snaps that secured the fabric to the rear bow - so it kept the rear bow locked in place when the sides/rear were snapped to the tub.  The only other straps I remember were rear bow to the back of the tub (when sides/rear curtains are all rolled up) to keep the top taut and in place.

The pivot bracket may actually be the same dimensions for all of the convertible tops.  I can't imagine the bows being much different in diameter which would determine the width of the pivot bracket.  I haven't talked with BesTop for quite a while so have no idea if they even offer any hardware as replacement (installation instructions list all the hardware).  I did a quick search for old bows and all I saw were very expensive bows for wranglers.  Maybe making some would be a smart path.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 11:34am
I have an mid 80's Dualmatic on my 2A. I can snap some pictures when im home. 
dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 1:57pm
Rus, I have all the hardware except for the mounting brackets to the tub. The windshield channels and door channels I have are from my old Tiger top,  so I hope they work. I would think the Tiger top brackets and these would be very close to the same, but who knows. THis top is in very good shape and I'm sure it's an 80's era top. Door and windows are all good so I'm gonna make it work some how. Trial and error if nothing else. I remember that the tiger top brackets were just about a 1X2 angle with two holes in the short side for the tub mount and one hole in the long side for the short bow to bolt to. I believe the longer bow was attached to the short bow by two straps to pivot upward and lock the longer bow in place when the top was raised. 

Rich, if you could shoot some pics that would be great! Nothing like some visual help. Thanks!   

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 2:31pm
Is this what you are looking for?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 2:59pm
Those are the brackets I was referring to.  Hopefully, that's what Dan is after.  

Notice the stagger on the pivot holes so the bows can lay down flat without binding.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 3:17pm
Found the other one, so I have two if that's what you are looking for.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 5:51pm
I think that must be what I'm after! Don't really know since I haven't seen these before, but it looks right.
If you have extras I'll sure take them and make it right with you! Thanks! I'll PM you!  By the way, are the windshield and door channels different than a Tiger top or do you know? 

Edited by dandjeep - 28 Sep. 2021 at 5:55pm

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 9:01pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 9:26pm
I'll see if I can get them in the mail tomorrow....so I can see what postage will be.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 10:06pm
rocnroll  Thanks again! Really appreciate it!

And Rich, thanks for the pics and location!

Edited by dandjeep - 28 Sep. 2021 at 10:08pm

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 4:27pm
PM sent.

Parts went out today.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2021 at 6:55pm
Thanks much! Greatly appreciated! Dan

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 3:12pm
Got 'em! Thanks!

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 3:15pm
Rich M., just to make sure.  This measurement is from a 2a and is from the back outside body for a Dualmatic top?. Correct? I'll have to relocate my roll bar to make this work, but no worries. Thanks.

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 4:16pm
i do not know if this is at all helpful, but i removed an 80's BesTop and still have some of the parts and instructions. no doors and the top was damaged and converted into a bikini top. i do have 2 pieces of aluminum front track (each is 1/2 across windshield) also.

this is where the bracket was located:

Edited by bight - 04 Oct. 2021 at 4:37pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 4:17pm
and this little gem:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>