Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cheep fuel pump.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheep fuel pump.
    Posted: 27 Sep. 2021 at 11:34pm
I replaced my fhead fuel pump which is about a year old.  It had a broken pump arm. I begin thinking, am I causing this because I don't have the spacer block installed? Is it necessary?

Thanks in advanced.
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
Skid Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skid Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 10:21am
Noob here but I think you need to check the fuel pressure as that spacer adjusts the pressure output. Different carbs have different pressure requirements. If you have a pressure regulator you could still be working the pump harder than necessary. 

I'd rig up a temporary rubber fuel hose with 1/8" NPT fittings for pressure testing.

I'm about to swap the original dual action fuel pump out on my F head for a cheap new dual action fuel pump until I can get the original rebuilt. 
(My vacuum diaphragm is dead)

One thing I notice though is the new fuel pump lever arm takes about 5 times the amount of force to move. I'm going to try and oil it and work it but that has me a bit concerned about potential cam wear.

I'll report back with what I find pressure wise with the new dual action pump but my original pump does not have a spacer. Of course your results may differ.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2021 at 10:34am
Good info on the spacer here:
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2021 at 4:04pm
That link has the info I need. Thank you.
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
 Post Reply Post Reply