Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mechanical or electric fuel pump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanical or electric fuel pump?
    Posted: 08 Oct. 2021 at 6:29pm
Hello all, new owner here with a few questions/concerns.
My cj2a has an electric fuel pump mounted on the inner fender.
There is a plate blocking where a mechanical pump would be.
I just put in a new tank and am about to order lines and a carb kit.
My question is, how reliable is the factory pump? I’m not sure if I should buy a new Carter pump or stick with what I have. This isn’t a perfect original jeep, so, with that in mind. What say you?
Thanks 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2021 at 6:47pm
I bought a "Carter" pump for my 2A from RockAuto, but the inlet/outlet fittings are spread 180 degrees instead of the 90 degrees on the original pumps. If left pointing the way they came the inlet is up against the engine mounting plate, and if clocked a couple screws counter clockwise the outlet is a tight fit to the block.  

I ended up buying a kit to rebuild the original AC pump. 

I prefer a mechanical pump to an electric and a good one will last many years, but I tried one of the new reproduction pumps with the divided glass bowl and it started to leak after less than a year.

Used original pumps are out there, just about all of us have a few laying around, and they are easy to rebuild, just need to buy a quality kit with modern diaphragm material so it will stand up to modern fuels.   

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2021 at 7:11pm
Thanks oldpappy! I was thinking a Carter was original equipment!
I appreciate that insight.
There is a lot to learn for such a simple vehicle.
I’ll be on the lookout for an original and study up. May need a regulator as well?
Thanks again 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2021 at 7:30pm
  Pappy, the original pump for the CJ2-A has the inlet and outlet at 180*, front and rear. The later front engine plate with the left foot pointing forward, requires the 90* configuration. 

Dconcb, no regulator is required with the standard mechanical fuel pump unless maybe used with a Solex carb. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2021 at 10:39pm
Thanks Bruce. Interesting for sure.
I’ll be sure to do my homework 
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2021 at 10:42am
Some people run both and use the electric to prime and as an emergency backup.  The fuel will pass though a lot of electric pumps so you don't have to run it for fuel to go though.  One of the previous owners converted my 76 CJ5 to an electric pump, a "chatter box" pump, that I was never quite happy with, mostly the noise.  I converted back to a mech pump and was much happier but keep the electric pump on the shelf just incase. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 10:41am
Bruce,

I am not too old to learn something new, but am am old enough to be easily confused. In this case it was merely such a senior moment.

A couple weeks ago I had some issues with the fuel pump on my CJ5 which is a larger pump than the one used on CJ2, and that was the Jeep I bought a "Carter" replacement pump for which would would not work due to clearance. So, that was still floating around at the top of the memory cesspool. I put "Carter" in quotes because I am finding some of the old brand names don't mean the same quality they did back in the days of my youth. The Carter pump I bought appears to be good quality, it just doesn't fit well for the application it was listed to fit. 

I just looked under the hood of my CJ2A and, of course, you are correct about the fittings on that being 180* front to rear, it is a smaller diameter pump than the pump on the CJ5 so has no clearance problem. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 13 Oct. 2021 at 11:05am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 11:01am

The originals are not difficult to rebuild, just need to get a good kit. 

I got a high quality kit from CMV for the last one I rebuilt. It cost about $25 with the diaphragm made of material that is supposed to stand up to the modern E-Gas.

I will never buy another reproduction (Imported) fuel pump. 

I only run 100% non-ethanol gas in my Jeeps, old tractors, boats, and small engines, but even so the reproduction fuel pump I bought for my CJ2A started leaking after being on the Jeep less than a year. Whatever material was used in the diaphragm and gasket on that thing just didn't hold up.
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 5:09pm
I appreciate all the insight.
The new tank is in. Carb kit is in the mail and the new lines will hopefully be installed this weekend.
Sooooo, does anyone have a good rebuildable ac pump?

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 6:36pm
I have a few L134 engines out in the barn, some still have the glass bowl pumps on them. 

More than one company has made pumps for these engines over the years, so not sure whether what I have are AC or something else. I will go down and take a look tomorrow.

I think it unlikely, but if your engine had a lot of miles on it there is a possibility the electric fuel pump was a "fix" for a worn out cam lobe, but more likely was someone's idea of an upgrade. 

Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 9:47pm
Sounds good oldpappy. Keep me posted.
And I hope the lobe is good! 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 10:50am
I have one boxed and ready to send soon as you PM me your mailing address. 

There is a trick in rebuilding the pumps that is sometimes missed.

When you put the top back on it is easier if you push the lever up and wedge it in place to hold the diaphragm as flat as possible, but you just want to start the screws enough to hold the top in place and release the lever before you tighten them. If you tighten the screws with the diaphragm still flat it won't pump as well because the diaphragm will be clamped too tight.

Edited by Oldpappy - 14 Oct. 2021 at 10:57am
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 10:52am
You are the man old pappy!!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 10:59am
Someone once bought me a cap that said "The man, the Myth, the Legend", but I tried not to let that go to my head. 
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 11:08am
Bwahahaha 
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 2:47pm
Thanks for the tip!  
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 9:00pm
Fuel pump hmmmm

Holley Red Street pump mounted on the back side of the Riser. so the intake and output are the same height as the fuel pickup And yes I know I used the drain to connect to and plugged the tank outlet. As I run E-10 there is no reason for a water reservoir in the tank as any water is pulled out with the alcohol. SO I can run my tank BONE DRY.

10 micron second filter, (first filter before the pump is 40 microns and serviceable) pressure regulator, gauge Mounted on the left inner fender

Edited by Mark W. - 15 Oct. 2021 at 4:32pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 10:36pm
Mark,

Did you ever work on building space craft? 

Seriously, that Jeep is beyond over the top, absolutely a beautiful technological masterpiece.

I would be afraid to drive it on dirt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>