Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 rebuild
    Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:03am
So this will be my first ever rebuild and I want to get some pointers or advice

What can I reuse, what should i check and what should i definitely replace 
Already eyeing up the novak kit, i just want to get all I need

Already got the case cleaned

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:04am
The parts that I gutted, what cam be reused within reason

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:08am
What is making you want to rebuild it?  Don't take offense, I've never done a rebuild on one myself, but I'm wondering what makes you think you need to rebuild it?  Slipping out of gear, won't go into gear, etc... I have mine out and am wondering if I should rebuild mine as long as it's out.  I don't notice a problem with it, but it is like 75 years old so....

What are some reasons people do rebuilds on these things?
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:14am
It came off a parts jeep, full of water and wouldnt go into any gear, those parts have been cleaned some with parts cleaner 

Edited by General Eisenhower - 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:15am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
RA472A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 9:23am
The best advice I can give is to procure a copy of Rick Stivers rebuild guide for the T-90.  After doing one with the help of that VHS tape (some time ago), I ended up doing about ten more of friends' trannys. Pitting is the first thing to look for on main shaft and input shaft.  Obvious wear on the teeth is next.  Always replace synchronizer hub, second gear, synchronizers, bearings.  If you get lucky and can reuse your cluster gear, that will save a fair chunk of money, but check for pitting inside the gear where the needle bearings ride.  I can go on and on, but Rick's guide is invaluable to have and makes it a simple, enjoyable, and incredibly messy job to accomplish that is well worth doing IMO.  Good luck!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 10:10am
What level of wear is acceptable on the gears, example, and I'll post a picture of what I'm describing, but the reverse idler has a little wear on the ends of the teeth wear it engages but no chips. 

The cluster gear might have pitting on the irrelevant gear faces but not on the teeth or inside the shaft 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:26pm
Never EVER put a tranmission BACK into a jeep without rebuilding it first (unless YOU already built it).  Trust me.  EVERY jeep you will come across either needs a trans rebuilt or is about to need it. Get the Novak kit is relatively cheap and removing the trans again is a major PITA.  Do it ALL now. (and while you have the trans off, THAT is the time to do the clutch as well.)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:30pm
Let me reiterate 

This is a spare t90

My current transmission is completely fine other than a leak

And I am rebuilding this transmission, it's already completely torn down, casing is clean, I'm just trying to figure out what I need to source from novak

Edited by General Eisenhower - 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:31pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 12:31pm
All that what looks like rust on the cluster is just grime that wipes off
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2021 at 1:09pm
You probably want to throughly clean the parts to clearly see any bad wear patterns / see true condition. 
CubeTube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubeTube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2021 at 3:54pm
The Novak kit will get you what you need.  Check the condition of 2nd gear syncro, as those wear out frequently due to guys holding their hands on the shifter while driving.  Lots of patience is needed when seating the roller pins.  Some guys also omit using the oil slinger at the front of the unit.  Check YouTube - Metalshaper's videos... he has a great video of disassembly and reassembly - I used this when rebuilding mine.  
48' 2A
Fort Myers, Florida
 Post Reply Post Reply