Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cj2a gas tank drain and p/u size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heehaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cj2a gas tank drain and p/u size
    Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 8:26am
Does anyone know cj2a gas tank drain and p/u sizes . I think their npt threads. Trying to find a fitting with a strainer or riser for tank with no pickup tube. Found one but its to big.
heehaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heehaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 8:52am
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 12:23pm
You have a tank that's missing the p/u?

I believe all 1/4" lines are inverted flare and use SAE nuts (for 1/4' I think it's 7/16" nut).  The drain nut is listed as a pipe thread in the parts database (not sure of the threads).

5138PLUG, pipe, 1/4", sq. hd. (Fuel tank drain)

Before, I have measured NPT plugs then did an online search to find out what the actual thread size is.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 3:17pm
  Pipe sizes are designated as the inside diameter of the pipe. Pipe thread is always bigger than its designation because the thread is on the outside of that pipe. The thread is designated to match the inside of the pipe that the thread is actually on the outside of, so the pipe thread is about the inside diameter of the pipe plus the thickness of the pipe wall twice. Pipe thickness, for this purpose, is always the same for a given I’d of pipe. So your 1/4-inch pipe thread plug will actually be 7/16 inch or so OD. The size of the wrench flats may vary but most are of a standard size, as in a 1/4-inch plug takes a 7/16 wrench, a 3/8-inch plug takes a 9/16, etc. 
  Tubing is designated as the outside diameter of the tube, so the difference between the tube size and the wrench size is about the same, but the ID is smaller. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
heehaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heehaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 9:39pm
 Tank doesn't  have pick up tube. Hoping someone might know where to get a finger strainer that would fit.  It cause a lot of problems.  Cleaned tank twice. Still have chips that block the pickup. Back blow it's  good for a 
For a while. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2021 at 10:00pm
Original tanks have a cane shaped pickup tube which is designed to avoid some debris in the bottom of the tank. 

Reproduction tanks I have dealt with just have a fitting in the bottom so any debris in the tank will go  right down the tube. 

When I plumb in a reproduction tank, rather than the stock configuration of the hard line connected directly to the tank fitting, I use an elbow at the tank fitting with hard line going to a good inline filter clamped to the inside of the frame with another hard line going from that filter to the pump. I try to avoid rubber lines and clamps, particularly upstream from the pump as they can introduce air leaks into the system. I did this on my CJ5 and then the darn reproduction tank started leaking at a seam. I am fed up with these crappy things, and have a MTS plastic tank with a top pickup tube on order to try in that Jeep. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
heehaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heehaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 11:42am
Think I found something . I believe it will fit the drain plug. Don't like hose to the tank but I'll  try it anyway.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/164695160770
 Post Reply Post Reply