Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justajake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Newbie
    Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 10:25am
Greetings Y’all-
Im new here and to the Willys community. I recently picked up a ‘47 CJ2A here in Montana (I’m based in Missoula).  I am looking to connect with other owners and get some advise etc.

I plan to use the Willys for trails, hunting, errands maybe some mid level wheeling. I’d like to keep it fairly stock with some safety upgrades since I’ll be hauling kids. 

I have sourced maintenance and parts manuals from some thread posts already. I also have a KW catalog on order; I think I’ll be busy this winter. 

Could y’all suggested some threads to read for a new owner?
I’m looking for;
  • care and maintenance suggestions
  • First upgrades; suspension, tires
  • Parts resources
  • Any MT, ID meet ups and groups
  • Looking for a rear seat frame and windshield adjustment arms.
Thanks in advance
Jake

Missoula, MT
1947 CJ2A GoDevil Evil Smile

Edited by justajake - 20 Oct. 2021 at 10:27am
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 11:24am
Jake,

Welcome to the CJ2A page!

Post some pictures of your Jeep.

Care and Maintenance - Assuming it is running good - check the fluids including the gear lube level in the steering box, grease all the fittings, add a fuel filter and tighten all the bolts.  Adjust the brakes and the parking brake shoes if needed.

These Jeeps are quite capable as stock vehicles.  Upgrades very based on what people need/want.  Traction control in the axles (read Lockrite) and up grades to the brakes are nice.  Upgrades are almost limitless in scope.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 11:57am
Welcome!
Lots of great information here, the search function on the forum can be a little hard to use, I like to use a internet search for specific topics and filter it to just the cj2apage.
The first thing to invest in is a good service manual, there’s lots of information in there that will help you even for basic maintenance.
The home page here has a useful things on it like the operation and care manual,
https://www.thecj2apage.com/om1.html
And Sean’s parts list is super handy for looking up just about anything, lots of information about bolt sizes and willys part numbers.http://www.cj-2a.com/parts_list/index.php

Edited by 48willys - 20 Oct. 2021 at 11:58am
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
justajake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justajake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 12:12pm
Hey thank you 48Willys, I made sure to grab those prior to my post. I agree the search function here can use some help. Thanks for the google search tip!

What upgrades would you recommend?
Jake 💪🏻🎩
Missoula, MT
1947 CJ2A GoDevil
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 12:26pm
Welcome…
I vote zero upgrades unless the standard form does not meet your type usage needs.
Only you can know what needs improving via experience.
In other words drive and see.

Edited by oldtime - 20 Oct. 2021 at 12:28pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 12:48pm
Go through all the fluids etc.  Depending on what shape it's in, the 2nd gear probably jumps out coasting down hill, I'd pull the trans and transfer case and reseal, at some point.  
Upgrades. 
I have a stock 2A and a modified 3b.  they both are fun, but the modified one is more roadable. 
I'd start with getting it up and running good, then consider a brake upgrade.  Disc brakes upfront and or 11" drums or discs in the rear.  and a duel revivor master cylinder.  I'd also consider getting an Overdrive, they are great for a stocker or modified jeep.    
Get out and drive it and get a feel for it. they are a total hoot to drive. 

Edited by windyhill - 20 Oct. 2021 at 12:50pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 12:49pm
  I agree with oldtime. All of my jeeps are 100% stock or very near to it, and I love ‘em like that. They don’t give me any trouble and they work just fine. Some think that several things “have to” be upgraded, but the stock systems in good condition work just fine. Depending on your needs, some things may need “upgrading”, but I think it best to wait and see. You may love it stock, as some of us do. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by justajake justajake wrote:

Greetings Y’all-
 I also have a KW catalog on order;

They have a purdy catalog chock full of color pictures for sure. Most here will warn you that's
not the definition of a reliable parts supplier. There are many vendors out there, and while they may not
sport a flashy color catalog, make up for it (by the truckload) in experience, knowledge and, most importantly, quality.  

Edit: not meant to disparage a particular supplier, just advising you not to get caught up in single source supplier.   

Edited by muley - 20 Oct. 2021 at 1:24pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
justajake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justajake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 2:07pm
Thanks for the suggestions this far!

Some other points about the rig. 
It runs very well (just a little smoke at start up), drives pretty nice. I plan on a full fluids change over, and flush/ leak test the radiator. Not gonna fiddle with much else since it runs well for now. It lived indoors on a ranch and was a hunting and cattle tending tool. 

The leaf packs are worn (most of the keepers are loose); any brands recommended?
Shocks are shot.

Brakes need love. 

So basically the usual. 

I plan to keep it as stock as possible but safe for hauling the babies around. 

Edited by justajake - 20 Oct. 2021 at 2:09pm
Jake 💪🏻🎩
Missoula, MT
1947 CJ2A GoDevil
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

Greetings Y’all-
 I also have a KW catalog on order;

They have a purdy catalog chock full of color pictures for sure. Most here will warn you that's
not the definition of a reliable parts supplier. There are many vendors out there, and while they may not
sport a flashy color catalog, make up for it (by the truckload) in experience, knowledge and, most importantly, quality.  

Edit: not meant to disparage a particular supplier, just advising you not to get caught up in single source supplier.   

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 2:30pm

The leaf packs are worn (most of the keepers are loose); any brands recommended?

Walck's sells springs that are made in the USA and are of high quality.

https://walcks4wd.com/Springs-Parts_c_296.html

You might also need shackles and rear pivot bolts while you are changing out the springs. Order the rear pivot bushings while you are at it because they don't come with the springs.

https://walcks4wd.com/Shackles-Pivot-Bolts_c_304.html

Of course there are other suppliers, but...

Anyway, before you do anything, drive it some. If something needs fixing you'll find it out that way. If you have problems with anything, there are people on here that can help with just almost anything...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 4:18pm
Carl Walcks is who I would go with for springs, parts etc. 
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Thatdogdonthunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2021 at 1:36am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Welcome…
I vote zero upgrades unless the standard form does not meet your type usage needs.
Only you can know what needs improving via experience.
In other words drive and see.
I second the vote. Ive had my 47 for a few years now. In good weather I drive it daily. If that is your plan I'd make sure the heater and wipers work. The other trouble that pop up on a 73 year old vehicle will keep you hopping. After youve got some time in her youll know better what you want. 
I may have a spare window frame with what you need. Ill check tomorrow. 
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 9:01am
I think I know this new 2A of yours.  Is it red?  If it's the one I'm thinking of it is a wonderful little Jeep. I spoke with the owner several times and considered driving up from Idaho to buy it, probably should have. LOL

The two things I always tell new Jeep owners to do before they start driving around are:

1.  go through the steering system, replace worn parts
2.  go through the brake system, replace worn parts

Then drive it and figure out what else it might need. It already has a nice set of tires, but it would look really great with a new set of NDT's on it. Smile

Enjoy!

Jack 

Edited by jbjeeps - 23 Oct. 2021 at 9:05am
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 9:17am
Personally I would rather have a Jeep with zero brakes than to have one with zero steering.

This may tick a few guys off but it’s the truth ….On the poorly designed CJ-2A steering note that the drag link can fall away from the belllcrank. Results = Zero steering which is obnoxious to say the least at hiway speeds. Been there done that !

So in order of safety for me it’s:
Steering
Brakes
Gasoline leaks
Any lesser and non life threatening concerns.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

justajake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justajake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 4:34pm
Yes, thanks for not making it out Jack 😂 
It’ll live a good life here in Missoula with our two boys (3 & 1). 

The plan is to put the work in over winter to get everything sorted, within reason. 

I’m looking to source some rims for the radial tires and get something more period correct. 

Do you participate in any meet ups or events in Idaho/Montana?
Jake 💪🏻🎩
Missoula, MT
1947 CJ2A GoDevil
justajake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justajake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 4:35pm
Thanks for the heads up Oldtime. I have a decent list going now. 
Jake 💪🏻🎩
Missoula, MT
1947 CJ2A GoDevil
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 12:42pm
Hi Jake,

You're welcome, sounds like it's gone to a good home and you've got a good plan.  Some folks make the mistake of tearing it completely down.  That often results in a project that sits in pieces for a long time.  

We don't belong to any groups. We live in Rexburg and keep our Jeeps at a family member's farm outside of Ashton.  We enjoy putting around on the Targhee National Forest east of Ashton. 

Jack
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>