Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 1:49pm
Like Ken I have also experienced a drag link disconnect, but lucky for me it was at a slow speed on a farm road. Ever since then when I start a Jeep project the steering system is the first thing I put in order, then the brakes. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 6:21pm
Welcome aboard Jake.  Montana is sort of a desert of any early Jeep get-togethers so you sort of have to make your own.  There are several 4x4 clubs (including one in Missoula) that may have an occasional run suitable for stock flattys but I don't think that's common.

From last weekend north of Bozeman-my friend Jesse's  CJ 3M (3 mixed).

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by justajake justajake wrote:

I’m looking to source some rims for the radial tires and get something more period correct.

Stock style wheels or aftermarket?

I think your's has stock style wheels on it. As long as they're in good shape, they'd be my first choice.

I'd probably be thinking about keeping the stock wheels and switching to a more period correct tire, but that's just me.

There's a number of old Jeep wheels that will fit on your 2A, but I think the standard wheel would have been 16 x 4.5" wide.  Jeep also sold what they called a heavy duty wheel, those are 5" wide.  The heavy duty wheel has a small hole, 1/8", between two of the lug holes. 

Search this forum and you'll find lots of info on wheels and tires. 

Any way you go, I hope you have lots of great miles in that nice old Jeep.

Edited by jbjeeps - 24 Oct. 2021 at 7:10pm
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

justajake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justajake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 10:18pm
JB- 
Thanks for the details. The plan is to keep the rims with more period correct tires. Then move the radials to whatever they’ll fit for other types of travel. 
Looks like a lot of folks have multiple sets of tire n wheel combos depending on what they are using it for. 
Thanks
Jake
Jake 💪🏻🎩
Missoula, MT
1947 CJ2A GoDevil
justajake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justajake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 10:24pm
Duffer
Thanks for the heads up. I just connected with Jesse on Instagram the other day. Hoping we can meet up sometime. He’s got a nice rig. 
Happy wheeln 
Jake
Jake 💪🏻🎩
Missoula, MT
1947 CJ2A GoDevil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12