Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UTV Tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UTV Tires
    Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 11:38am
Ive been looking into tires for off road use.  Seems it is difficult if you want to stay somewhat skinny to find a decent mud terrain that is not a 10 ply in the sizes we would want.  The Super Swampers are good, but pricey.  There is no reason a UTV tire would not work on a 2a.  Weight is similar to todays UTV's and  top speed is definitely lower.   Some other advantages are a lighter tire, lower prices, good tread designs, and less stiff sidewalls.  Most of whats out there are in a 15" rim and run from 28" to 32" x9.5.  If you are interested in pricing some or ordering some, private message me.  If this is not allowed here, feel free to delete this post.  I definitely do not want to cross any lines.  My thoughts are that through volume from my supplier we can get better pricing.  
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Thatdogdonthunt Thatdogdonthunt wrote:

Ive been looking into tires for off road use.  Seems it is difficult if you want to stay somewhat skinny to find a decent mud terrain that is not a 10 ply in the sizes we would want.  The Super Swampers are good, but pricey.  There is no reason a UTV tire would not work on a 2a.  Weight is similar to todays UTV's and  top speed is definitely lower.   Some other advantages are a lighter tire, lower prices, good tread designs, and less stiff sidewalls.  Most of whats out there are in a 15" rim and run from 28" to 32" x9.5.  If you are interested in pricing some or ordering some, private message me.  If this is not allowed here, feel free to delete this post.  I definitely do not want to cross any lines.  My thoughts are that through volume from my supplier we can get better pricing.  

Most UTV tires are NOT DOT approved.  There are exceptions and I suspect You will find most of those exceptions are also relatively high ply tires.  I have DOT approved tires on my RZR.  I don't think they care whether or not you put any air in them.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Thatdogdonthunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 12:57pm
True.  I just do not factor DOT approval in my tire decisions.  I figure with no turn signals, one brake light, no seat belts, no anti lock brakes, no power steering, and no roll bar; DOT approved tires are the least of my worries. 

Edited by Thatdogdonthunt - 16 Nov. 2021 at 12:58pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 3:26pm
Not knowing where you plan to run your Jeep or ATV, I don't know what kind of complications you may run into.

The ATV manufacturers have  done quite a bit of research into local regulations, and some places have specific requirements for not only DOT stamping, but max/min inflation stamping on the sidewall.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Not knowing where you plan to run your Jeep or ATV, I don't know what kind of complications you may run into.

The ATV manufacturers have  done quite a bit of research into local regulations, and some places have specific requirements for not only DOT stamping, but max/min inflation stamping on the sidewall.
Do you mean that some off road trails have a requirement for DOT tires or that some states have different requirements for highway use?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 6:19pm
Are your states really that strict on stuff like that?....if so, I'm pretty glad to live where I live.

I'm 64 and don't recall anybody ever looking at the sidewall stampings on a tire since I got my drivers license many moons ago. Wacko

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 7:16pm
I've never once had an inspection station look at my tires for a DOT stamp, just tread depth. It's for sure a thing but never enforced.  At least around here for non commercial drivers. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 9:07pm
I would doubt that you would be hassled if you didn't have DOT on your tires in normal driving situations.
If you were in a serious injury accident, that's a different situation.

It may surprise most of you, but SXS, UHV,  OHV and ATV's are considered a nuisance by most nature and recreational off-road areas. I'll try to find a few links to the actual legislation.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 9:10pm
The only time I ever had a blowout was due to sidewall flexing on a low tire at highway speeds.
Sidewall flexing is a good thing at low speed, off road.
What you need depends on what you expect it to do.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2021 at 9:28pm
  DOT (USDOT) is a federal entity that passes regulations that it expects the several states to enforce (CDOT, WyDOT, UDOT, AzDot, KDOT, etc). This is another example of the Federal Government enforcing its will against the states by way of extortion. Most of you would be surprised at how many regulations you violate without knowing it, or ever seeing most of them enforced. One example is the disabling of parking lights to use those lights as turn signals. Usually, transport or use across state lines is necessary for it to become a crime. Usually, no one will ever know, unless as Joe said, you are involved in an accident, when the lawyers start looking for a reason to sue.
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 9:19am
I've been running 32x9.5x15 BFG KM3's for UTV's on my 3A since April.  I've driven mostly on pavement with occasional wheeling trips.  I like them so far.  I've probably driven 1,000 miles on them.  My top speed is around 45 mph and I drive with about 20psi on pavement.  They flex very well and I've had them air down to 8psi without losing a bead.  

I purchased them through facebook marketplace from a UTV dealer that couldn't move the inventory, so I got a very good deal.  No complaints yet.
Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Downs Downs wrote:

I've never once had an inspection station look at my tires for a DOT stamp, just tread depth. It's for sure a thing but never enforced.  At least around here for non commercial drivers. 

I actually had a shop check mine, he was concerned NDTs weren’t DOT, but they do have the stamp. He was also worried about no seat belts, but a quick look in the book and I was on my way . It was a new shop and he just got his license, I think it made his day though he didn’t even charge me for the inspection   
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 2:12pm
First sentence "for off road use".  Not intended to be a discussion about legalities that vary drastically from one location to the next.  Simply put one of my mechanics also runs an ATV repair shop.  He was showing me his cost on tires compared to list.  The sizes and prices were very good based on what I want to run.  We then discussed offering these to others on this page as a way to help you all out since we receive so much good help here.  It would also help him get better pricing due to volume of sales.  Each of us can decide what we want to run on our vehicles.  
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 6:15pm
Chad most Jeepers I know don’t care a whit about DOT compliance. Joe Friday’s comment about a wreck is most certainly valid. That being said…… Rojo has been running a set of USDStickies for almost a year. I change back and forth. They are a 32 x 10.00 x 15. They are not DOT compliant. They actually measure close to 33 1/2 inches. They have large side lugs. They have a durometer of 50 to 52. They drive on the road extremely well considering the lug size. They are unbelievably “sticky”! Do to the softness they wear rapidly, but they can be a lot of fun compared to other tires. You can see them on Instagram at richardevans871 and Bridog’s you tube channel.    Oh and yes they expensive and they are AMERICAN made!
Fuzz
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 6:37pm
Well, we have two Chad's going on this thread so I'll just play like you were talking to me with this thought LOL.....I agree with everything you just said and tires are Keith's life so I trust his opinion without any doubts here on this subject (and I was pretty sure he would definately bring up the accident situation.

I think the other Chad had valid points with his thinking on weight of vehicle and usage off road....(these are also my thoughts on the subject)

I was just wondering how others in states not in my area reacted to laws and DOT standards...no harm intended, I know I live in an area that is more lax than some....we are pretty 'small town' here where I am.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 7:09pm
My bad. Too many Chads. The post was for Chad 1 but that don’t matter. We live in a rural community in NW Mo. Dot compliance checking has never been a problem. Mo has a state inspection process, and I always have the Pro Comps on at that time. I agree it would be interesting to get a feel around other parts on this subject. 
Fuzz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by snave snave wrote:

My bad. Too many Chads. The post was for Chad 1 but that don’t matter. We live in a rural community in NW Mo. Dot compliance checking has never been a problem. Mo has a state inspection process, and I always have the Pro Comps on at that time. I agree it would be interesting to get a feel around other parts on this subject. 
So which Chad am I? Chad or Chad 1?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 7:47pm
All, 

I'm not against running non-dot tires.

I had no problem driving Fred's AgriJeep with his AG tires a few hundred miles and it was a blast.  (Thanks Fred!) and more than one person on this page runs stickies with my encouragement.

Sounds great Fuzz... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>