Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic Tank Fuel Line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triton28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic Tank Fuel Line
    Posted: 01 Dec. 2021 at 8:08pm
For those with the plastic fuel tank what did you find to be the best way to run the fuel from the top of the tank to the frame rail? Also is that 1/4 inch going to flow enough fuel?
Thanks
Keith
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2021 at 10:01pm
I think 1/4 is the rubber tubing I'm running and its definitely pumping plenty
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2021 at 10:04pm
  How much fuel do you think you need? The test specification for the AC fuel pump is one quart per minute at idle speed. I'd bet my lunch that the Willys-Overland engineers knew that the line from the tank could handle as much as the fuel pump capacity.
BW

Edited by Bruce W - 01 Dec. 2021 at 10:05pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2021 at 10:16pm
I'd bet you're right Bruce, realistically it should be able to flow more fuel at a greater volume than consumed, speaking about the line
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2021 at 6:29am
I just installed a plastic tank in mine. It's a temp solution for now. But I used 1/4 inch and there have been no issue so far. 

I didn't want to drill any additional holes in the tub. So I ran a 1/4 inch hard line through an existing hole in the tub. It exits behind the tub step, then follows the frame rail up to about 6 inches away from the pump. I used short sections of rubber line on both ends to connect the hard line. II bent the tube to follow the contour of the still in place original line. 

Eventually a stock style tank will replace this all. But for now it's working just fine.

Edited by nofender - 03 Dec. 2021 at 5:58am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Triton28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triton28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2021 at 7:29pm
Well that's good news, I tried blowing in the tank to make sure it wasn't clogged before installing the tank and it was hard to move air. I guess I'll drill a hole in the floor to run the fuel line from the top of the plastic tank.
Thanks
Keith
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 12:19am
Bruce. Is the 1 qt per min a spec for a free flowing pump? That works out to a gallon every 4 mins so my jeep couldn’t idle an hour before running dry   

Bitz 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 12:29am
  Yes, that’s with the fuel pump outlet line disconnected from the carburetor and placed in something to collect the fuel. It’s explained in the Service Manual. You DO have a service manual, right?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 12:37am
I do but haven’t gotten to any of the motor or fuel sections. I am still taking it apart.  
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 7:20pm
Actually this is the time to read the manual. It can save you from costly mistakes that could have been avoided by reading the manual. I can not count the many repairs & replacements of parts I have seen that an overzealous owner cause just because they did not read a manual that was sitting on their shelf.

Of course it is your Jeep, time, & money. You get to decide what you do.

Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 8:22pm
Yep I have gone thru the manual using me Evelyn Wood skills but am still working thru removing body parts etc. so when I get to the detail stuff I will dive deeper into the sections   Reading today about a fuel pump test I may not get to until 2023 doesn’t seem like a particularly good use of my time.  

My only point to my original question was did the motor burn a Qt/min while at 1500 rpm which prompts the question if you are pumping the gas into a container how do you establish a 1500 rpm if no gas is going to the carb. I will go read the manual now this has come up. 

Lastly I have a relative that could read the manual till the cows come home but wouldn’t help him a bit. If you explain it or show him he will recall it for life.  So sometimes people just need clarity on something and reading won’t help them

I really like this forum and learn a ton but I see sometimes folks are a bit harsh when someone asks a “stupid” question. Which is a very subjective opinion with out under standing what is driving the question. I have no idea here the level of skill or what equipment and tools someone has either so maybe a question is derived from trying to sort that all out. 

Bitz 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 8:54pm
No question is stupid. 

I’ve been here some years now. I sincerely believe it comes from a place of teaching/helping learn rather than a “stupid question” place. 

I have manuals. I refer to them. Ive read them. But I learn by doing - putting my hands on it. That’s how I learn best. But I appreciate the level of knowledge I get here. 

Don’t let it shy you away! 

Edited by nofender - 03 Dec. 2021 at 8:55pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 8:54pm
So I was going thru the fuel section in the manual and maybe I am reading it wrong but there is only a short volume test for the 2A. It calls out the pump should prime in 18 seconds at 120 rpm   

The test at 1qt per minute is a test for the 3A or 5

I have no info on anything but my 2A.  Of course it could be my not reading the manual correctly 

Edited by Bitz - 03 Dec. 2021 at 8:57pm
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 9:15pm
Since the CJ-3a uses the same engine as the 2a, those specs apply. This is an example of the manual getting better as Willys got input from mechanics. At least that is my take on it. I could be wrong.

I concur that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Ask away! It just drives me nuts when someone is given good advice & they actively ignore it. I like to help folks, but when they ignore good advice from many experienced mechanics, I think that I might be wasting my time.
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 9:24pm
Thanks Matt. I wasn’t ignoring your advice but trying to understand the data. I really appreciate good advice hence why I read as many post as I can. 
One thing I noticed is what I consider pretty knowledge people with completely opposite views. Case in point a thread about using wheel spacers.  A couple of folks said very bad idea and maybe dangerous and others state no issues doing so. Lots of tribal knowledge here but from different points of view. In the end folks just have to make a call and reap the results good or bad 

So not that I have a 3A but from reading the manual it appears to me the motor is the same but a different fuel pump. Will that have an impact on fuel delivery by volume?  And I still don’t quite get how to maintain an idle speed with the fuel disconnected from the carb. Maybe the pressure check step prior where you install the tee is assumed it is still there and you remove the pressure gauge and run a hose to the container.  

Bitz

Edited by Bitz - 03 Dec. 2021 at 9:29pm
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 9:51pm
Does your engine idle?  When engine isn’t running, disconnect fuel line at carb and run that line into empty container. Start engine and let it idle. If it makes it to a minute, turn off engine   Time how long it idles til it dies. Then measure how much gas is pumped into container. If fraction of a minute idling, 
Then do some math to figure out gas pumped per minute

Edited by Michaeltru - 03 Dec. 2021 at 9:53pm
Mike in AZ
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2021 at 9:57pm
Thanks Mike. My engine is not running. (It was when it got parked😳). So it runs till the fuel is burned up in the carb.  Got it 
 Post Reply Post Reply