Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to Fuel Inject Willys L134 with Holley Sniper
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Fuel Inject Willys L134 with Holley Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Fuel Inject Willys L134 with Holley Sniper
    Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 6:48pm

With the introduction of Holley’s new Autolite 1100 Sniper, I was instantly excited about adaptation to our Jeeps. Carbs are cool… but at the end of the day it’s a carb. Adapting a modern fuel injection system will not only make the Jeep easier to start, more efficient and less prone to failure, but also brings less headaches for those of us who let their Jeeps sit for extended periods of time. The future is now.

After waiting almost a year due to worldwide shortages, my two Snipers finally arrived in the mail last week. From my research online, I couldn’t find anyone that had adapted the 1100 to their Jeep yet, so I was flying blind without references. I quickly ordered all the parts needed to make it work with my L134 setup and went straight to fabrication.

There are nicer ways to build an adapter such as CNC billet aluminum (and hopefully someone here can manufacture them with linkages for a bolt-in install). However, I found this is a pretty easy DIY project that can be accomplished in no time. I’ll spare the written details as I have posted a YouTube video with tons of information I learned from the project. I would highly recommend watching the entire video before attempting the install to grasp a full understanding of all the little tips and tricks involved.

As I mentioned in the video:

• Your Jeep cannot have intake or exhaust leaks as it will throw off the 02 sensor reading. Check the exhaust manifold around the heat riser rod for leaks.
  • The ignition system must be timed correctly with components in proper working order.
  • If you keep the carb diffuser gasket, you must remove the “V” shaped metal or else the engine will misfire if it even starts at all.
  • Take your time and follow the wiring instructions exactly how Holley recommends.
  • I plan to add heat shielding to keep the exhaust manifold from overheating the computer which is inconveniently located inside the Sniper housing.
  • You'll need a 12V system with alternator that's designed to charge at low rpm's.

Tuning

I myself am very new to the Sniper and do not have any experience with fine tuning, so I did not include it in the video. As time goes on I have no doubt our collective knowledge will work out every little detail of this setup. 

My parts list

Edited by Nick_ - 07 Dec. 2021 at 7:01pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 7:55pm
Interesting!… Looking forward to its operation 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽😎

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 9:01pm
Really great video! You did a great job with editing and explaining all the steps… It appears to a great upgrade to a ‘modified’ flathead Jeep. I love the tuning capabilities. I wonder if a installation kit including throttle linkage, manifold riser and bung would be profitable for you? Again, great job with the video! 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 9:17pm
 You did a great job Nick both with the installation and the video.   How did you determine that it was the diffuser that was causing the problem?

Jim 
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 9:30pm
very interested in this but really want to hear performance and mileage numbers.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 10:07pm
Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments.

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

I wonder if a installation kit including throttle linkage, manifold riser and bung would be profitable for you? Again, great job with the video! 

I heavily looked into this last year. My thought was to build various stages of bolt-in kits (adapters, wiring, pre-welded manifolds) for each model of Jeep. I spoke with my insurance buddy with these intentions using a proper corporation. At least in my region, insurance costs for modifying vehicles and fuel systems was going to cost more than I estimated profits would be. I'm sure someone else on the forum can make it happen, especially if they have other products to sell alongside to make a viable business.

Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

How did you determine that it was the diffuser that was causing the problem?
Hate to admit it, but about 2 days of troubleshooting! Everything from hot wiring the fuel pump to swapping ignition components.

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

very interested in this but really want to hear performance and mileage numbers.
A perfectly tuned carb would make the same hp as EFI. The key is easy reliability and efficiency. It's about 40 degrees out here or else I would have already cruised around to get some mpg numbers as I'm a
sure we'll see improvement, but that wasn't my personal goal. I'm mostly excited about knowing the Jeep will always start when I turn the key. Modern fuels and carbs sitting for extended time don't seem to play well.

Edited by Nick_ - 07 Dec. 2021 at 11:41pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2021 at 5:58am
Running and starting on extreme angles would be key for me. Look forward to hearing about that. Gr8 job!!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2021 at 7:28am
Commenting as someone who already runs EFI on a 2.0L engine in my Willys, I really like the clean, simple-looking installation of your injection system.  Mine is a 2 barrel throttle body install, and it takes up quite a bit more space than yours does.  I didn't see it in any photos, but does your system come with an external computer control module?  Is that where all the wires going through the dash are headed?  

I certainly hope that you'll put on a heavy coat and a knit hat and go take your Jeep on some road trips to check performance and mileage for all your interested followers.  Did you have to modify your ignition system in any way?  I'm looking forward to seeing more about this conversion.  Thanks for sharing! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2021 at 8:29am
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

....I didn't see it in any photos, but does your system come with an external computer control module?  Is that where all the wires going through the dash are headed? ...
. The computer is integrated into the throttle body. That is the systems beauty as well as it’s Achilles heel. I’ll leave all that for Nick to explain.

Nick, How long did it take for you to receive the kit from the day you ordered it?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2021 at 9:31am
Very comprehensive video Nick....what is the cost of the Sniper kit as you received it?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2021 at 10:48am
Nice work!  For those interested in using the stock tank with a return line, a fuel bung like this one will works well:

Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2021 at 12:18pm
I'll take some video this week for everyone. Road test for mpg, running and starting on steep inclines.

Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

I didn't see it in any photos, but does your system come with an external computer control module?  Is that where all the wires going through the dash are headed?  
Did you have to modify your ignition system in any way?
As Jeff mentioned, the computer is inside the Sniper housing. Great for simplicity, bad for longevity because the exhaust manifold can cook it. I'll be installing a heat shield around mine.

Sniper will work on points or electronic distributors. I personally have electronic. All my other components are stock.

My digital dash, coolant sensor, fuel pump wire, and key power wires are running into the dash. The rest of the cluster is from the headlights, etc.

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Very comprehensive video Nick....what is the cost of the Sniper kit as you received it?

I paid $750 each but they're up to $850 now. Fuel system will cost $200-400 depending how fancy you get.

Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

Nice work!  For those interested in using the stock tank with a return line, a fuel bung like this one will works well:

That is a very neat fitting.

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Nick, How long did it take for you to receive the kit from the day you ordered it?
I watched them listed as "out of stock" since December 2020. Got tired of waiting, decided to place an order on March 17, 2021 hoping those with orders would get shipped before the website updated. Received November 19, 2021.
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2021 at 12:28pm
Great video and nice to have another option.  I had a Holley Projection kit on my 360 CJ7.  I liked it, but it's nice that the sniper kit gets rid of the computer.  Well, I guess good and bad considering that it's now on the housing and can be affected by heat more.  Either way, good to have options.  Thanks for taking the time to do the video.  I'm sure it took a good amount of time in editing.  
I always love your videos!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2021 at 8:09am
Kinda sux when you advise folks to get a duplicate system "just in case".  

I to am waiting to hear the performance numbers.  
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2021 at 8:24am
Originally posted by wfopete wfopete wrote:

Kinda sux when you advise folks to get a duplicate system "just in case".  

I to am waiting to hear the performance numbers.  

Another solution in the event of a failure would be to put the stock carb back on. You would need a way to regulate the fuel pressure to the lower stock level.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2021 at 8:40am
and that's the issue with the whole off road thang. When your forty miles from nowhere on a remote 2 track, AAA ain't going come out and Willys retired their big olive green rescue helicopter years ago.  It would give me some comfort if some sort of limp mode or bypass existed so you could keep moving in case a failure. 

We have the same issue in the off road motorcycle world.  There are great EFI systems that perform flawlessly but a sensor or chip dies you are left walking.

Edited by wfopete - 09 Dec. 2021 at 8:41am
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2021 at 8:49am
There is an advantage to a carb and point ignition. They get you home even when they are not working right.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2021 at 9:27am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

There is an advantage to a carb and point ignition. They get you home even when they are not working right.
Thank you Sir! Well said.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>