Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2022 - Event Date: 18 Sep. 2022 - 23 Sep. 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 29>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 7:15pm
Lest we not forget how the fire started in the first place...

1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 6:54am
Looks like snow for the weekend! Hopefully a lot of heavy wet stuff! I'm in the middle of moving to teller county and had to reschedule trips because of the weather. There was also one west of cripple creek but it sounds like they are getting a handle on it.
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 10:46pm
I would like to take this opportunity on this Memorial Day weekend to salute all my fellow veterans and active military for your selfless service to our country.   Thank you, Mike 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 11:00pm
  I appreciate the thought, Mike, but tomorrow is a day to remember and honor all those who died so that we can enjoy our freedoms. They are ‘way “more special “ than those of us who were able to come home. We get our turn on November 11th. 
Take a minute at 1500hrs and remember some of them. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 6:40am
Thanks Mike, but Bruce is right. Memorials are dedicated to the dead, not the living.  Memorial Day started as a way to remember the Civil War Soldiers who died in battle.  It expanded to remembering all those who died while in service, not just those who died in battle.  Now it also includes all those who served in the military who have died.  My Dad is in that group.  He served in the Korean War and carried shrapnel in his leg for the rest of his life.  He died 18 years ago.  Today Nancy and I will visit his grave, and observe the remembrance ceremony conducted by the American Legion in Buena Vista.  For everyone who is out and about on this national holiday, if you happen to pass by a cemetary and notice all the American Flags on the graves of soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, and coastguardsmen who have died, pause for a moment and give thanks for the sacrifice they gave so you could enjoy the freedoms you have. 

Edited by m38mike - 30 May 2022 at 11:44am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 8:15am
I stand corrected.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Praying for much needed rain🙏🏻.

Rick

Cabin still ok?
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 5:05am
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Praying for much needed rain🙏🏻.

Rick

Cabin still ok?

The last time I checked on the fire's perimiter it was still a few miles away fom Rick G's cabin.  And it is shown as a black line on fire maps which means that it is contained near the village of Guadalupita, the next village south of Rick G's cabin. In fact the entire eastern edge of the fire is now black, meaning that it is contained on that side.  It's now the western side that firefighters are concentrating on.  I'm finished with my two week tour of duty on the fire, and back home at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  So Rick G, your cabin is safe and untouched by the fire.  Give praise and thanks to the firefighters based in Angel Fire, NM.  This is the largest Wildfire currently in the US, and the largest one in New Mexico history.  It has burned over 500 square miles. That's almost half the size of the state of Rhode Island, in New England. 

Edited by m38mike - 31 May 2022 at 5:27am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:44am
Yes, I am giving thanks and praise to God and all the firefighters and personnel who have, and are fighting this massive fire.  Prayers for those that have lost their only home and and all their possessions.🙏🏻
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2022 at 12:59pm
3ASTEVE, YES I WILL ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO THE LISTS.  I MIGHT NOT GIVE ALL THE DETAILS LIKE WHO DROPPED AND WHO ACCEPTED TO REPLACE THEM, BUT I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW IF A PRIMARY DROPPED OUT, AND IF I FOUND AN ALTERNATE TO TAKE THEIR PLACE.  I WILL ALSO TALK ABOUT SOME RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PREPARING YOUR JEEP, AND YOU, FOR THE TOURS.  BOTH MAINTENANCE ITEMS YOU CAN DO AT HOME, AND THINGS TO BRING SO YOU CAN SELF-RECOVER OUT ON THE TRAILS.  

It is a month since May 1st. Any update?

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 3:15am
Hi Steve, I am pleased, and surprised to share with you that none of our Primary list folks have dropped out during this first month.  This is the first year that someone has not left the list during May.  I'm guessing that the Primary List folks have made an honest commitment to themselves to attend this year since they are on the list. After last year when so many had to leave the list, I wonder if this year will be the opposite.  

On another note, I've discovered a piece of gear that interests me a lot, now that I have a winch mounted on the Blue Mule.  It's called a soft shackle pully.  This is what it looks like. 

I've never seen one of these in action, but I saw many for sale as I was looking at snatch blocks to use with my winch.  So on a whim I bought one of these.  I haven't used it yet, but I'm anxious to try.  If anyone else has used these I'm curious to hear what your experience was like.  Good or bad.  Like or dislike.  I've watched some youtube videos about these and they look like they do the job, and do it well.  So if you have a winch, or a long tow line, you may want to explore this handy device.  One good thing to say about these is that they cost a lot less than a snatch block of the same capacity.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 6:11am
Here is an example of one being used on Carnage Canyon 2020. You can go to 40:30 in this video.

After all that rigging we had to get Bob W up there and use two lines because GJ has to be pulled from two different angles to get around that Boulder. Not the fault of the snatch ring. They are good but apparently they can only pull a Jeep “over” a rock, not “through” a rock. More at 3:19 in this video:

Liam took some close up video of the rigging for Gone GPN but now I see that all of those videos have been taken down

Anywho, I made my own snatch ring but you can buy them with various gimics to hold the rope in the ring. That is the one thing you have to watch out for. Metcalf sells a gimic that also accomplishes that. I’ve not had that problem so long as you set it up properly. Just like a snatch block, pulling from a 180 degree angle doubles your winch power.

If anyone is interested in seeing one made, here is a not so efficient process:

Edited by jpet - 02 June 2022 at 6:48am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 9:41am
Great to see the 2A page on site reporter in action!  Don't look a day older than the first time you made your appearance!  Always enjoy watching the skills in action...but you're still not funny!  LOL   Love to you and your bride!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 12:33pm
The weather for the weekend looks good so going to do a long test run to see how all of Slow Tug is running. Plan on going from Calgary to Banff on the backroads (paved but not 70+mph). Should be an adventure and it 116 miles one way. Will be doing it Saturday so hope to update you on Sunday. Slowly working on all the details for this fun trip to see you “Bloody Yanks” LOL

Serial #106163 Body#106168 1947 CJ2A "SLOW TUG"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 3:16am
Well Smith, if you make it all the way to Banff, maybe you can take a photo of your jeep with Lake Louise and the glacier in the background.  That's a beautiful setting.  I was there with my Electro-Willys 10 years ago, but E-W was in a trailer so I wasn't able to get any good shots of it with a dramatic background.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 8:17am
Jpet, thanks for the videos showing you in crazy situations using your soft shackle ring.  And seeing how your CNC machine made one was interesting.  How many of these rings do you have?  After watching some youtube videos on using snatch blocks to reduce winch loads, I may have to get another one or two of these just to play with when using my winch. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 8:32am
Mike, did you change your winch cable out to synthetic rope? If not, a snatch ring won't work. They are specifically designed for the synthetic rope.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 8:41am
No I still have the original steel cable on mine.  Dang!  I wonder what would happen to the pulley ring if I used the steel cable in it?  I'd probably strip the anodized finish out of the cable slot since the aluminum is softer than the steel cable. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 29>