Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2022 - Event Date: 18 Sep. 2022 - 23 Sep. 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 29>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 9:05pm
I snugged mine and did a tack weld to hold it.

Edited by TERRY - 15 June 2022 at 3:03pm
BOULDER 48 2A
SlickWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlickWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 4:02pm
Hey eveyone!

We have set up a dedicated Facebook group and Instagram page for Fall Color Tour. Please join the group and follow the Instagram account if you are "social media" folks. 
Facebook:

Instagram: coflatfenderclub_fct 

This will be a way to show the event sponsors and donors what the event is all about. Share your photos in the Facebook group!

Traci and TaterJeep
Owner of Gone-Gpn Media
Freelance
Writer/Photographer
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 4:21am
I got my first Primary withdrawal a couple of days ago.  I'm very surprised we went so long without someone dropping off the Primary list.  I called my first Alternate and he gladly accepted the chance to attend FCT this year.  So we've had our first change to the list. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 5:50am
This morning I'd like to talk about spare tires.  And bottom line up front, I recommend that everyone should have a spare tire at FCT.  I have two spare tires, one on the Jeep and one on me.  I would like to get rid of my spare tire, but that's a different story for another day.  So we'll cover Jeep spare tires today.  In past years we've always had tires go flat.  I think it was 2017 we had 22 flat tires. We had flats for all kinds of reasons.  Old tubes failing and splitting.  Valve stems cut on rocks.  Sidewall cuts.  Nails in the tire treads.  Tires that cracked from old age.  On a typical year we still get about a half dozen flats.  On average one or two of those Jeeps with flats would have to borrow a spare because they didn't have one.  And in a tour group of 20+ Jeeps someone with a big heart would loan them theirs.  

Why doesn't every Jeep have a spare tIre?  Sometimes its as fundamental as a one second error in clearance when driving through the trees.  Squeezing between two trees with a spare tire hanging on the side of the Jeep requires the driver to leave more space between Jeep and tree for the spare.  And when he doesn't the spare tire hits the tree, and the rim gets bent, and the carrier gets bent or torn off the Jeep leaving 4 large holes where the mounting bolts were.  After that the spare doesn't get fixed because a replacement rim costs $180 and the tire cost $195 with tube and mounting and a new tire carrier costs $75 but the holes on the side of the Jeep are too big to hold a bolt anymore.  And besides that, the driver has never had a flat with the Jeep in 20 years so why bother with a spare?  

The answer to that question is Fall Color Tours.  The high elevation, the rocky trails, the constant bouncing and flexing the tires endure during the week will help any tire fault become a tire problem.  The time to solve that problem is before coming to FCT.  Make sure your tires are in good shape, not bald or dry rotten.  

In years past we would break down the tires by hand, or by driving over the bead with a Jeep.  I would buy a few good used tires to have as extras here at the ranch.  And I'd have some spare rims as well.  Lately I haven't found any good deals on tires or rims.  But I do have new tubes on hand.  And I do have a tire changing machine now so it's easy (well, easier) to replace a tire or tube in just a few minutes.  So I can help you fix a tire, but it's up to you to have a spare to begin with.  

Three months and counting down! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 10:11am
Personally, I think that should be a requirement to attend and go on trail rides.
I hate to sound like a safety inspector (fire extinguisher, roll bar, seat belts, jack, lug wrench, first aid kit) etc, but spare is a good idea.
Strap it down, tie it on, whatever it takes.
More time with trail repairs equals less driving tour time.

Edited by flatfender47 - 21 June 2022 at 10:13am
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 9:52am
Nice thing about Texas heat is that 90 wt oil flows easier. Finally got all the fluids changed and changing brake fluid today. Can’t wait for cooler Sept weather. Think I’ll start pulling my flannel shirts out of the closet. 
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 5:52am
Tumbleweed, you're gonna look funny pulling flannel shirts out when the heat index is 110*.  Why don't you go sit in the shade with a tall cold beverage and think about this for a minute.  I realize you're excited to go to FCT, but you could probably wait to pack until after Labor Day.  So relax, enjoy your hot summer days.  And think about how nice and dry and cool it'll be in the mountains in September.  AAaaahhhhhh!!  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 7:16am

2022 Fall Color Tour Schedule with your guides, Bruce, Ron, Jeff, and Mike.

Sunday - Bruce - Brown's Creek shake down run

Monday - Ron - Mt. Antero

- Jeff - South Cottonwood 101st Airborne cabin

- Mike - Boss Lake, Marble Mine Route

Tues - R - Tincup Pass, Lottis Creek, epic long day

- B - Mary Murphy Mine, Hancock Lake

- M - Vision Quest Site

Weds - J - 4-Mile Loop

- M - Silver Creek to Bonanza toll road

Thur - R - Chinaman Gulch

- B - Vicksburg and Winfield

- J - Mt. Princeton

Fri - R – The Grand Ride - Aspen Ridge north

- J – The Grand Ride - Aspen Ridge south

Sat - ?? – Mystery ride

Ride Descriptions:

Brown’s Creek.  Easy ride to see how your Jeep does at 8,000 to 9,000 feet elevation. Recommended for all new folks to FCT.  Also a chance to learn how trail rides operate.

Mt. Antero.  Moderate difficulty. Shelf roads above treeline. Several tight switchbacks.  Steep trail sections. Highest elevation is 13,000 feet. Stream crossing.

South Cottonwood – 101st Airborne Cabin.  Moderate difficulty. Steep trail sections. Shelf road high on mountain.  Stream crossing. Old cabins along route.  Multiple switchbacks.  Highest elevation 11,800 feet.

Boss Lake – Marble Mine Route.  Moderate difficulty. Steep sections.  High mountain lake dammed in 1870’s.  Drive through a working marble mine. A rest stop at a closed marble mine. Highest elevation is 12,100 feet.

Tincup Pass – Lottis Creek.  Moderate difficulty. Long day, may start early. Some rough trail on bedrock and cobbles. Cross Continental Divide twice.  Lots of miles. May return after sunset.  Highest elevation is 12,200 feet.

Mary Murphy Mine – Hancock Lake.  Moderate difficulty.  Steep grades, loose gravel or rocks on some parts of trail.  Old mine buildings to inspect.  High alpine lake.  Part of route on old railroad grade with 180 year old bridge. Highest elevation is 12,400 feet.

Vision Quest site.  Easy ride.  Follow Forest Service roads to cross country trail out to Native American historic site. Nice drive through forests and meadows. Highest elevation is 9,700 feet.

4-Mile Loop.  Easy and fun route.  Lots of whoop-dee-do's and big scenery.  Stone arch visible from trail. Submarine vents for underground pipeline.  Highest elevation about 9,500 feet. 

Silver Creek to Bonanza Toll Road.  Moderate difficulty. Steep trail sections with loose rock and gravel.  Shelf road across an alpine rock field.  Old cabins and mine structures along route.  Highest elevation about 12,000 feet. 

Chinaman Gulch. Difficult and challenging. Two miles of tough Jeeping obstacles. Some bypasses exist. Can be done with stock Jeep, but recommend modified Jeep. Lots of off-camber photo opportunities. Highest elevation is 9,000 feet.

Vicksburg and Winfield.  Easy ride on gravel road to two historic ghost towns.  Many standing cabins in each townsite. Interesting grave yard.  Small museum with old mining equipment on display. 

Mt. Princeton. Moderate difficulty.  Steep road with switchbacks. Narrow shelf road through an avalanche chute. Trail leads to a stone and glass lodge built decades ago. Exit from ridgetop parking can be exciting/scary.  Can see Pikes Peak, over 100 miles away. Highest elevation is 12,100 feet.

The Grand Ride. Easy to moderate difficulty.  Route follows the top of Aspen Ridge. Half of group starts at the north end, half at the south end.  Everyone meets up in middle for lunch.  Along the route are Allen’s viewpoint, Futurity Ghost Town, old cabins, miles of driving in a dry sandy streambed, and lots and lots and lots of aspen in full color.  Highest elevation is about 10,000 feet.

Mystery Ride. Unknown difficulty. Not sure of the route. Elevation is up from Thirsty Dirt Ranch. 

Edited by m38mike - 01 July 2022 at 5:46am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 8:46am
....about three months away fella's!

Looks like a smorgasbord of tasty rides!  Looking forward to the rides, friends and cool temps!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 11:43am
Sweeeeeeeeet!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 12:05pm
Lee, sweeeeeeeeeet actually has 10 e’s! Your spell check must be on the frtiz 

Edited by tumbleweed - 30 June 2022 at 12:06pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Lee, sweeeeeeeeeet actually has 10 e’s! Your spell check must be on the frtiz 

I was keeping that a secret 🤫

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 9:39pm
I just hope Nancy doesn’t catch it. I heard she is tough on mrs. spellerz. 

Edited by tumbleweed - 30 June 2022 at 9:40pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 6:12am
Nancy caught it.  She might send you both to detention for your Ms. Pellings unless you talk nice to her.  

There's always something going on to prepare for FCT.  I've already committed to over $1,400 for contracted services.  And of most importance to all of you, we made a change to our tour schedule.  Can you find it?  Did you already read the schedule?  

On Wednesday we cancelled the Holy Cross tour and replaced it with the 4-mile loop tour.  Holy Cross requires trailering Jeeps about an hour out from TDR, and we decided that we're not ready for that as a scheduled tour.  We may look at that as a special tour, but not as a scheduled tour.  And the 4-mile loop is more in line with what most Jeepers are here for.  It's a fun and easy trail that will still challenge you while providing whoop-dee-do's, banked turns, sandy trails, and grand views of some of Colorado's 14,000 foot peaks.  This loop runs through a 140,000 acre area dedicated to and managed for motorized recreation.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 8:01am
[QUOTE=m38mike] Nancy caught it.  She might send you both to detention for your Ms. Pellings unless you talk nice to her.  

[/

Nancy is most likely well calloused to my poor penmanship, and much like Ms. Hasselquist my 4th grade teacher will just realize that’s as good as it gets 😂😂😂. Nice trail selection by the FCT crew 👍🏽 My right seater is very excited 😎👌🥓

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2022 at 2:13pm
Holy Cross would have been a nice addition to FCT.  Our first time up this trail was in a CJ5 with 31s and open differentials.  The trail has gotten easier in recent years, but still maintains its iconic reputation among Colorado's more challenging trails.  All the obstacles have multiple safe lines and plenty of rocks nearby to stack if needed.  If somebody is looking for a great trail that might push you a bit out of your comfort zone, but not force you into tearing up your jeep, then I highly recommend it.  Like to join you if you go...I am quite handy when it comes to stacking rocks.  Here are a couple of pics from back in 2019.

Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2022 at 4:35pm
Love following the Fall Colors tour stuff.  :D  Hopefully I can drop my lotto ticket/registration for 2023 :D
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 6:39am
Bridog, it's not the part of the trail in your first photo that gives us pause, it's the parts like in the second photo that have us concerned about offering it up to the group.  Like I mentioned up above, this would be limited to a special ride, probably with some requirement like having lockers in one or both differentials, and a limit on how many Jeeps our group would take.  Can you see us trying to get 20 Jeeps with open differentials up and over these rocks and through this trail, and back to TDR in daylight?  That would be a difficult task for the best of trail guides.  So we'll consider offering it as a special tour with restrictions, Not as an open tour for anybody to join it.  We know your Jeep, and your skills, and you will be a good example of who the tour would be open to, if and when we offer it.  Other considerations include how much parking space is available for trucks with trailers?  How to get a hold of authorities in that area if we have a medical emgergency?   How many Jeeps are too many Jeeps for a group on this trail?  Is offering this trail the best use of our time and resources?  The discussion will continue.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 29>