Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2022 - Event Date: 18 Sep. 2022 - 23 Sep. 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2022 at 8:42pm
Looks like the guesses have stopped. I guess I better give the answer.  The cj2a, cj3a, and cj3b all have 30 grease zerks. Because of the different rear axle, I believe the mb may have 28 but I am not sure. All of these are important to the reliable running of the flat fender jeep and need attention. Please take care of them for the life of your classic jeep and to reduce problems on the FFCT. If anyone wants a rundown on where all of them are, let me know and I will try to help. My info came from the maintinance manuals. Good luck and I will see you in September!  Mike 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2022 at 9:44pm
That’s right ! 30 zerks !
These old Jeeps are just as dependable as anything else on the road. But you have to do much more maintenance and do it somewhat more frequently than on a modern vehicle. Plus you need know how to tune it properly to keep it running smooth ! Your group will much appreciate more driving with less down time.

Edited by oldtime - 17 Aug. 2022 at 9:45pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2022 at 10:02pm
Thanks for the support Oldtime. If everyone is up to snuff we will have a good time!  Mike
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2022 at 11:06pm
I've never seen anything wear out from too much grease.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 12:12am
30! Wow, I found 14 today and thought I was doing well. I might need a zerk’s for dummies class at FCT.

BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 11:31am
Brad’s guide to FTC for people who get cold

Read this if you are going to FCT for the first time this year! My parents are going this year, and I’m super excited they are going to get to enjoy the mountains, sights, and colors for the first time. I was telling them what to expect, and decided to write it down. Maybe you are someone who is not normal, maybe you wake up in 40 degree weather in your shorts and t-shirt and think, “Wow! What a perfect morning!”. This guide is not for you. For the rest of us, us normal people, us people who get COLD when it’s flipping COLD outside… This guide is for you.

I’m going to break it down by body part and then cold days vs. cool days. Remember when it’s cold in the morning and you are driving to the trail head at 20-30mph it’s going to feel 20 degree’s cooler. The most basic advice I can give:
Wear layers, prepare for dry dusty conditions

Feet:
Cold: Wool socks and if it’s really cold insulated boots.
Cool: Normal Socks and hiking boots or closed toe shoes
If you plan on doing any type of water crossings or walking, I would highly suggest water resistant hiking boots.

Legs:
Cold: Thermal pants for the dudes, yoga pants for the women. Then water sheering Hiking pants over the top. We broke down far from Thirsty Dirt Ranch one year, and had to get towed all the way back in the rain. My jeans stayed wet ALL DAY, It’s the coldest I’ve ever been, and it wasn’t even that cold out. And yes, we had a top, the issue is when the rain comes through the side, or mist that just permeates the air. Eventually your jeans are going to get wet and make you cold.

Cool: My advice mainly stays the same as above. I almost always wear 2 layers on my legs, and regulate temperature with my upper body layers. When everyone else has a jacket on, I’m in a short sleeve t-shirt. It makes me look super manly, like I’ve lived my entire life on the mountain. People look at me and think “Wow, Brad is in a t-shirt? Everyone else is wearing a jacket. The cold must not bother him, What a manly man.  He's just like Elsa in Frozen!”

Upper Body:
Cold: thermal t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, jacket, heavy coat, gloves
Cool: t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, jacket, windbreaker, light gloves.

Always take a rain jacket. When driving down the road it cool weather it’s going to break through all your other layers unless you have something to break the wind. I have a good rain coat that works great for this. I keep a windbreaker in the jeep at all times, even when it’s warm outside, you never know when it’s going to rain on the mountain. As the day progresses it will get warmer outside, so I’ll just start taking layers off. First the hat and gloves, then the windbreaker, then the jacket. If it’s really nice you’ll see me in a t-shirt. If we are out on a long run, you’ll see me starting to put layers back on as the sun goes down.

Head:
Just bring a beanie with you and you’ll be good. Mike typically sells hats to keep the sun off your face and neck. I highly suggest you get one. Sometimes I’ll see people in those full face masks on cold morning drives.

Mouth: A good bandanna can be used to keep your neck warm during the drive to the trail head, the sun off your neck during the day, and used as a filter during dusty rides. Bandanna tech has changed in the past decade, I don’t use the ones you have to tie. They make them now out of stretchy material and they are fantastic. Just go to your favorite website and search for “seamless bandanna” or “motorcycle face mask”. Some years the dust is terrible, last year I could have gone the entire week without a mask/bandanna. Just depends on the year. If you don’t have or don’t want to buy a bandanna, everyone seems to have a cloth mask since Covid, those would work well for dust. Don’t forget Chapstick with some sort of SPF rating. We are outside most of the day.

Eyes: You are going to want some form of eye protection. Sunglasses for the sun, dust, and wind. I find it helpful to have some clear eye protection if you are out after dusk.

Nose / skin: IT IS DRY where we are going. If you have never been before I can’t express just how dry it gets. I’ve seen it rain above Thirsty Dirt Ranch and the rain EVAPORATE BEFORE IT HITS THE GROUND. If you come from a humid climate like me, you will want to be prepared. Two chapsticks. One for your mouth, one for your nose. I know it sounds crazy, but by the end of the week, you’ll be putting chap stick over your nose to keep your skin from cracking/drying out. If your hands get dry, they will be dry here. I don’t need it but most people will need lotion. Bring sun screen. You are closer to the sun, and will burn without it.

I think that is everything? I'm sure you'll let me know if I missed something.

Edited by BradR - 18 Aug. 2022 at 11:38am
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 1:43pm
Thank you very much BradR

Just what I was about to ask for .... experienced FCT advice for first timers!

Anybody have suggestions for onsight combination "Tent/Van Camping"?

Or anything else FCT "First Timers" would be like to know while preparing?

TY
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by 43 Flat-Fender 43 Flat-Fender wrote:

Thank you very much BradR
[
Just what I was about to ask for .... experienced FCT advice for first timers!

Anybody have suggestions for onsight combination "Tent/Van Camping"?

Or anything else FCT "First Timers" would be like to know while preparing?

TY

Do NOT go barefoot, the cactus are everywhere.

Park trailers along the back fenceline and don't block a trailer in with your trailer or jeep. Some will be leaving earlier than others.

If you do leave early, check in with Mike or Nancy before leaving.

Be mindful of others in the camping areas by keeping your rigs speed to a minimum to reduce the chance of running someone down or raising a lot of dust. It will be dusty...Mike doesn't call it the Thirsy Dirt Ranch for nothing.

Do not leave for the day without a FULL tank of gas, a spare, food for lunch break, plenty of water. A 5 gallon jerry can full of gas on board is a good idea.

Sunscreen is a must, chapstick is manditory. You will develop "nose rocks". Bring a floppy hat and use it.

Be willing to pitch in and help if someone is having a problem on the trail. It could be you next time...

Keep a cheerful attitude...no one likes a grouch...

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 3:57pm
If anyone needs a list of all the grease zerks on a flatfender just ask and I will try to give a list of all of them. Just just trying to help. See you all soon at FCT.  Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 3:58pm
Thanks Brad for that excellent review of what to bring to take care of you while on the trail. I don't generally wear quite as many layers as Brad does but I will start my day with a good pair of jeans a t-shirt a hickory shirt and either a vest or a jacket depending on how cool it is in the morning and how far we might have to go on the highway. I almost always wear a brimmed hat to keep the sun off my ears and my neck. And I always have sunglasses and sometimes Sun goggles to wear to protect my eyes. When we're driving with windshields down our guides seldom ever go over 20 mph so that folks don't get too badly wind burned.

As far as camping goes, especially in a tent I highly recommend either a thick air mattress or a cot to sleep on. If you like sleeping on the ground you're going to find my ground at Thirsty Dirt Ranch to be very lumpy. If you're going to use a tent then I would recommend selecting one that has guidelines to help keep it secure in a wind. While September is usually not a windy month we can have thunderstorms pass through and ground winds can get up to 30 mph. At other times of the year we often experience winds to 50 and 60 mph but September is not one of those times.

I recommend that every Jeep bring a spare gallon of water. It should be potable so it can be used for drinking if some unforeseen event causes us to stay out longer than we expect. It can also be used for washing or for filling radiators.

I highly recommend that everyone have a top of some kind to protect the driver and or passenger. It could be as simple as a bikini top between the windshield and roll bar or is complete as a full vinyl top. You may not need to use it the whole week you're there however there may be one or two days when it threatens rain that you may want to bring it along.

I recommend for those camping at Thirsty Dirt Ranch or elsewhere that you plan on doing your cooking on a camp stove and not rely on being able to have an open fire currently there is no fire ban in chaffee county and if we keep getting rain like we have had lately there will be no fire ban this year. But depending on how dry it is I do not want to risk having someone's campfire get away from them in the dry grass out in my pasture. If it's going to rain a bunch this year then I may rethink my position and let folks have campfires but at this point don't expect it.

I really appreciate those with experience at fall color tour chiming in and sharing their experiences in getting prepared for this event.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 4:16pm
  My thought, for whatever it’s worth - 
How many folks reading this would like to have myself or anyone else come to your house, build a fire ring in your yard, use it for several days, then leave a black, dead spot with unburned coals and ashes, and maybe a ring of rocks behind? Or several of them? Not to mention the risk of a fire getting away or someone getting hurt. Please be courteous to Mike and Nancy, THINK about how your actions may affect them, and don’t do anything that you wouldn’t want someone else to do to you. 
  I think the propane campfire pits are the greatest thing to come along in a long time. If something goes amiss, it’s easy to shut off, and when you’re done, its off and cold. No hot coals to soak and/or worry about. 
My $.20 worth. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 4:32pm
One tip I would give is to be mindful of when it’s time to close up the barn and turn in for the night so Mike can go to bed.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 4:37pm
One thing that has stuck out for me is how cold the "night" ride gets. You will get back in the dark and it may be raining. Watched a fellow jeeper buy over a $100 of clothing at the Taylor Reservoir store in the attempt to stay warm. A very warm jacket with a windbreaker over that and gloves and a warm hat will make the trip a lot more enjoyable. Might want to make sure your headlights are working as well. Of course there will be alternate rides, just not as good to talk about later.
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 6:37pm
Brad’s tips for Camping at TDR

I’ve been going to FCT since 2016, and camped with my Uncle Rico or cousin Paul every year I could make it.. .Which is… Hmm… I’m going to have to figure that out. 2016, 2018, 2020, and 2021. So this will be my 5th year.

I’ll try to remember everything, but I’m sure I’ll miss something.

1) Tent: The first year we went the wind destroyed my uncle’s tent. It gets windy sometimes. If you have a cheap popup tent that is so tall you can stand up in it, you might have problems. My current tent is cheap, but sits low to the ground so it hasn’t had issues yet. Although I’m waiting for it to blow over so I have an excuse to buy a nice one. Make sure you bring a thick tarp to put under your tent. There are rocks everywhere, and Mike tries to get all the cactus, but I promise you he’s going to miss the one right where you want to put your tent. When putting down your stakes you are going to hit a rock. Plastic stakes will break. Do your self a favor and replace them with metal.

Tent
Tarp
hammer
decent stakes

Placement: Typically first come first serve. If you get there Early Mike will give you a good spot. If you are there late, you might get woken up by headlights pulling into TDR at 1am after a long haul to make it back. If you are lucky you are close enough to the shop to have power, if not, you don’t. Which leads to…

2) Electronics: I always come prepared to not have power so I bring the following:
100’ extension cord
2x 10000 ma battery pack. I use something similar to this: https://a.co/d/ew9ctTw
Charger to charge the battery packs
Cables for phones
battery powered lamps
flashlight for those late night old man bathroom runs
radio / radio charger

I charge the battery pack in the shop during the day, so I can charge my phone at night. I also take a battery pack with me on the trail so I can charge on the trail if needed. If you take pics or videos it runs through the battery on your phone pretty fast. I often put my phone in airplane mode to save juice. It’s not getting good signal anyways moving through the mountains, and we use radios to communicate while on the trail.

3) Sleeping
A good sleeping bag is a must. Remember that they rate a bag at the temperature you can SURVIVE at , not a comfortable sleeping temperature. I think we’ve already established I’m a wimp when it comes to cold weather, especially after I’ve spent all summer getting acclimated to 90 degree temps. I put a blanket under me, and use a -15 degree bag. My son uses a 0 degree bag and he is fine. You’ll have to choose what you want based on how you like to sleep, but I guarantee if you show up in a 32 degree bag, you will not sleep well. Ask me how I know :). Also some years are warmer or colder than others. The first year I was there, we had ice on our tents in the morning.

Cot or air mattress. I wish I could sleep in a cot, they are easier and take up less space. I use an air mattress. You’ll want to deflate your mattress a small amount in the morning, because it’s going to get hot in your tent in the warm sun during the day. The heat will make your mattress strain.
Depending on when you go to sleep, you may be either disturbing others or being disturbed. I suggest ear plugs, or some type of white noise app on your phone to drown out some on the noise.

4) Showers:
Mike has 2 showers set up a TDR, and they are actually pretty nice. Locking doors and heated, you can’t get much better than that. I suggest taking showers at night. This will keep your sleeping bag dust free. Plus mornings are pretty busy trying to get everything ready for trail riding.
Bring Soap, shampoo, a towel, and something to change into.
BTW you will only need one towel. It’ll be dry by morning.

5) Food:
Everyone has there preferences but we like to go to the store and get sandwich supplies, chips, and snacks for the trail. We keep a cooler full of ice at camp. We also get easy to cook meals for every other night. When you’ve been on the trail ALL DAY, you don’t always feel like getting back in a vehicle to go to get something to eat. We cook hamburgers on a portable grill, and then the next night get tacos in town, then the next night heat up some canned soup. Planning goes a long way, especially if you want to do some of the longer trail rides. A hot pocket wrapped in tin foil zip tied to the radiator is the most amazing lunch you can have during a cold ride.
Mornings, I like to make eggs on the portable grill or just do cold pop-tarts or granola bars. You’ll find some mornings you have time to make a hot meal, and others you are scrambling to just get in line to leave on time. Prepare for both scenarios. Typically there is coffee every morning in the shop, and Mike asks for donations to keep the pot full. So bring a good mug and some singles if you like hot coffee in the morning.

Propane portable grill
utensils
paper plates
paper towels
trash bags
cleaning supplies
plastic sandwich bags
tin foil
lots of snacks
plenty of water
Ice
I’m sure I’m forgetting something

6) Miscellaneous

A Chair to sit around in and talk about the adventure you just had
A good beverage to get the conversation started

One last thing. I live at a lower elevation. I can setup camp in less than an hour where I’m at. But I get up at elevation, and I’m not accustom to it yet, and it takes me twice as long to do everything. If you bring a new tent, make sure you know how to set it up, cause it will take you twice as long to figure it out at elevation, and setting up a tent in the dark is no fun.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 7:27pm
If you have never been to that area of Colorado before, I highly recommend that you take a clear night at home before you leave, gaze at stars, and make mental notes, Big Dipper, Little Dipper, Orion, etc. Then, when you come to TDR, take a look at the same constellations.   If you are into such things, it is truly amazing to think that you are looking at the same galaxie. I lay on my cot most every clear night and spend at least a little time gazing at them. At home, they seem so far away but at TDR, it’s almost as if you can touch them.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 8:58pm
Sunscreen for your hands is a great idea but I always drive with leather gloves on. The sun can really burn the tops of your hands. 

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Cmercier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cmercier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 10:20pm
I’m wondering if anyone who’s will attending the Fall Color Tour this year might have a good running L head engine that they might want to sell? If so, we can make the trade there. Thanks. 
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 11:41pm
Radios  (EDIT: I've updated my post based on newer data, more explanation can be found in later posts)

I’m officially the Radio guy for the 2022 FCT, so if you have questions, need to borrow a radio, or need to program your radio I’ll be there to help!

“Radios? Like the walkie-talkies we used as a kid? But we have cell phones now, why do we need radios?”
I’m so glad you asked. Yes we use 2 way radios while on the trail. Cell phone signal while getting better, is still spotty on most trails. Also, Radios are a quick and easy way to communicate with a large group. Your guide will use them to give directions, warn of oncoming traffic, let you know when the group is taking a break, get moving again, and when it’s time to go to 4 wheel low. Individuals can also use them to point out wildlife or if someone is broke down. Typically 90% of the radio use will be the guide and the tail gunner.

“Explain to me the technical details of how this all works please”
Background technical info :

Analog or Digital: Mike uses analog radios at the FCT for compatibility and cost reasons. Digital Radios have some really nice group organization, GPS, and texting features.

Family Radio Service (FRS):FCC Website
Newer version shares all 22 frequencies with GMRS, but must transmit at 1 watt.
Older version was limited to 15 channels.
Can be used without a license

General Mobile Radio Service GMRS: FCC Website
Shares all frequencies with FRS
Requires a license from the FCC to use
Can transmit higher than 1 watt

Typically we use the FRS and GMRS frequencies on the trails. The guides will transmit with GMRS power. In the past FRS was limited to 15 channels at 1 watt of transmitting power. If you have an old FRS Motorola radio, it will have 15 channels and transmit at 1 watt. I’ve never seen Mike use a channel over 15, so if you have an old FRS radio you should be good. Recently the FCC has opened up FRS to have the same channels as GMRS. So if you get a new style Motorola FRS radio, you can still only transmit at 1 watt, but no longer need to get a license to use the additional GMRS channels. If you have a GMRS radio and a license from the FCC for GMRS you can transmit at higher power. Plus if you are nerdy like me, you can program your radio to use repeaters to get longer range. There is also Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS). MURS uses a lower frequency band than FRS/GMRS and has better performance in rural areas. The frequency was recently opened up to the public, so not a lot of radios are capable of transmitting on this spectrum. I’ve never seen a MURS channel used at FCT mainly because it wouldn't work with the old FRS radios, even though you can program your Baofeng to use this frequency.
Distance:
If you live in a super flat area, the longest distance you can transmit is 2 miles. This is not a limitation of power, but due to the curvature of the earth blocking the signal. If you live in Colorado, the limitation on transmission is all about which side of the mountain you are on. Using a high power GMRS radio, you can get a clear signal form Thirsty Dirt Ranch from the top of Mount Princeton. Which is 5ish miles (Mike correct me if I’m wrong) away. In my opinion, you do not need the GMRS license and should be fine using the FRS 1 watt power limitation. Having said that, I have my license and they are relatively easy to get, cheap, and last for 10 years. Here is a great resource on how to get one: https://www.ruggedradios.com/blogs/news/how-to-get-your-gmrs-license

“So, I need to go out and buy a Radio?”
The short answer is No, you do not need to buy a radio, but most people like to have one. There is going to be a large group of Willys Jeeps around you, it’s kinda hard to get lost. You just wont hear any of the directions or know if anyone else spots any wildlife. You can also borrow one of Mike’s radios each morning and then return it each evening. There are several benefits to borrowing a Radio. First, they are programmed exactly the way they should be and you shouldn’t have any technical issues. Second, they are charged up every night. Third, it’s FREE. There are negatives. You have to return the radio every evening, and there is no guarantee there will be one available in the morning. In my opinion the biggest drawback of not having your own, is not being able to set the more advanced settings to my preferences. Specifically the squelch.

“Ok, so I’ve decided I need a Radio”
Sweet, there are hundreds of options! We use Analog FRS/GRMS FM Radios. Most everyone at FTC uses a version of the Baofeng UV-5R radio, but unfortunately that radio isn’t really an option anymore. I’ll talk about that more below. Here are some alternatives:

Motorola Radios at the local buy and save  I'm no longer recommending you get one of these due to compatibility issues with GMRS radios.
Pros:
Pre-programmed work out of the box
Not the cheapest, not the most expensive
Does not require an FCC License to operate (FRS only)

Cons:
Configuration is minimal (most important setting to be able to adjust is squelch)
Limited to low power transmitting (FRS only)
I’m not familiar with it to help answer questions
Most will not work with MURS channels

Be careful with what you get here. You normally get what you pay for. The SUPER cheap $30 ones are pretty much trash, and it’s hard to understand what is coming out of the super cheap speakers. A little bit of water and dust can also wreck havoc on these. There is a reason everyone eventually switches to a higher end radio.

Rugged Radio
Pros:
GMRS Radio able to transmit high power
They have sponsored the FCT in the past
Pre-programmed, work out of the box
Several options and configurations

Cons:
Rugged Radios have extra propriatary channels to sort through
You should probably get an FCC License to use one https://www.ruggedradios.com/blogs/news/how-to-get-your-gmrs-license
I don’t think they have the MURS channels

Baofeng
This was the default choice to just tell everyone to buy. They have good transmitting power, clear speakers, and can take a beating, but it’s suddenly gotten much more complex. I don’t know what happened, but the Baofeng UV-5R Radios sold now have a newer firmware that does not allow transmitting on FRS/GMRS frequencies. I think this is why their price has dropped to $20 (They were $35 for years). To make things worse, I’m not sure which UV-5R models (There are several variants) can and cannot transmit. That is a major issue, and I cannot recommend you get a Baofeng. IF you could find an older one that has the older firmware that allows transmitting, then that would work great. If anyone has purchased a Baofeng with the new firmware, and is able to get it to transmit on the FRS/GMRS frequencies please let me know. I’ve heard there is a key combination you can press to ‘unlock’ the functionality, but I’m not sure how it works or if it’s a permanent fix, or if you have to press the key combo every time you power it on. I’m speculating here, but I think maybe Baofeng got in trouble with the FCC, and had to neuter their UV-5R model and that is why the newer models of Baofengs are so much more expensive. The BAOFENG BF-F8HP looks like it should work, but is basically the same price as the Rugged Radio. And at the $75 price point, it basically comes down to user preference.

Pros:
The radio most people use at FCT
Can be programmed and customized
Anyone who’s had one for a while can show you how it works
Once it’s programmed, it can transmit low or high power on FRS/GMRS and MURS.

Cons:
Must be programmed, does not work out of the box (I will help you program it at FCT)
Newer radios are being shipped that will not transmit on the FRS/GMRS or MURS frequencies, making them expensive paper weights.

If someone knows of a good quality cheap (less than $75) programmable radio that works on the FRS/GMRS frequencies, please let me know. I’m tempted to purchase the new UV-5R for $20 and test if I can’t hack it to work. That way we could still recommend newcomers get one.

Mikes wall of Baofengs for Rent:
Look at all those beautiful cheap programmable radios that Mike got before Baofeng ruined the Firmware!

Edited by BradR - 21 Aug. 2022 at 4:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 29>